Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Winnies Mom Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2011, 08:09 PM
    Does fixing a dog stop the territory marking
    If I get my male dog fixed will it help him to stop peeing and pooping all over my house and especially on our beds?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 18, 2011, 08:11 PM

You definitely should get him fixed anyway. Make sure the vet checks for a UTI also.

How old is he, and does he obey commands otherwise?
    Winnies Mom Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2011, 08:17 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    He is 9 months old and a poodle japenese chin mix he has been housetrained ,but we also have a 120 pound lab mix and wonder if he does it trying to be the Leader of the pack so to phrase it . I do plan on getting him neutered anyway but was just wondering about this and the pooping on my daughters bed was the last straw she's 19 and he is not allowed in her room but got in there anyway and voilą

hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jul 18, 2011, 08:20 PM

Sounds more like he's not fully housebroken, and not a territory marking issue.

Yes, getting him fixed will prevent marking. It won't fix housebreaking issues.

I know very little about housebreaking dogs, so I won't even try to give advice on that. I will say that if the vet doesn't find a medical reason for it, that they may have some advice or pamphlets that may help in better training him.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 18, 2011, 08:20 PM

I'm a cat person, but read the Dogs board religiously. It does sound like he's reaching for the alpha position over the other dog (and the rest of his "pack," the humans in the house).

Tell your little buddy, "The time has come!"

The Dogs experts will weigh in with better advice than I can give you. Please check back for more responses.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Jul 19, 2011, 12:25 AM
    No guarantees as to the effect it will have, but it sure is the place to start. Expect the greatest effect to be in things that are sexually oriented... territory, and females are the main targets of male animals. Territory because that's where all the females live, in case there are any he has missed in his travels.

At 9 months, his 'sap' has risen and he is probably trying to figure out why all the strange feelings. Dominance, territory, people... all these things suddenly have new meaning, and he is probably just trying to do what his instincts are whispering in his ear.

I, too, wonder if he is completely house trained, or if there isn't something else on his mind. Is the lab allowed in the daughters room?

Animals recognize the gender of other species, and he is a young impressionable boy, so he is marking those things important to him as being 'his'...
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2011, 12:47 AM

Completely agree with Paleos comments.

I have a male miniature poodle who used to mark in the house at least twice a week. At 12 months old we had him neutered and the behavior seemed to stop immediately.
    He still does have the odd "accident" maybe once every 4-5 months he will still pee on the bed if we forget to shut the door, but marking everywhere else stopped completely.

I believe bed marking is a dominance issue, it's the place where you (or your daughter) sleeps, it's loaded with your scent and he wants to make it (and you) belong to him.
    Neutering should curb that instinct to make everything belong to him.
    Training will still be needed, I think I just got lucky with my boy, but training should become much easier.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 06:12 AM

I agree with the above as well. Marking can be stopped with neutering. It's not 100%, nothing ever is, but it is a good start. I would question the house breaking as well, but as he is urinating on the bed as well it makes me think dominance. If this is the case than neutering should certainly help. Remember it won't stop over night, as it can take up to a few months for the testosterone to fully leave his body.

For the time being, I would not allow the dog on any beds or couches. Crate while you are away. You need to let him know he is not the top dog, and he needs to step down. Keep in mind he is still a pup and will have accidents, but constant marking in one area or on a bed usually tends to be a dominance issue. Go back to basics, after every meal, drink or play time he goes out side until he uses the bathroom. Praise once he has done what you expect him to do.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 12:26 PM

I agree as well.

This is the perfect time to get him fixed if you want to avoid behavior issues that are present in unaltered dogs.

Marking his territory is a possibility. The only thing that doesn't match up with that is the defecating.

Sounds like he may not be as fully potty trained as you think.

Do get him neutered, it will help with the peeing, and it really is the very best thing you can do for your dog, not only health wise, but for behavior as well.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy Marking Territory [ 1 Answers ]

My puppy is 12wks old and he seems to already be making his territory. When I took him to my boyfriend's apartment he kept leaving small piddle spots in the different rooms of the apartment. I was making sure to give him his potty breaks and he was doing most of his piddles outside. The small...

10 month old dog - marking his territory inside [ 2 Answers ]

my 10 month old border collie x husky has just started marking his territory outside a month or so ago but within the past week when I let him inside ( his mainly an outside dog) he has been marking his territory inside, we don't have any other dogs, only a cat? I don't know why his doing this or...

Marking his Territory [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 pit bulls, Kiera; 1 year, and Capone; 2 years old. Both of my dogs are fixed, and pretty much non aggressive. They are kenneled trained and spend, on an average of 7 hours a day in them. When we are at home, we are almost always outside with us, running and playing. SO, Capone has been...

How to stop my Dachshunds from marking their territory [ 3 Answers ]

I have 2 standard male doxies. They are almost 5 years old and our brothers. They are both fixed. Back in January we got a female mini longhair doxie. The boys have all of the sudden stated marking things in the house over the past month and a half. We have 3 floors in my house and the female has...

View more questions Search