Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kikin azri Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2011, 05:41 PM
    Does the erythrocyte become haemolysed if the solution is still clear?
    How do you explain this situation?
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Jul 18, 2011, 07:56 PM
    Still clear? I'm not an expert in this area, but if my memory serves me correctly, I'm pretty certain the solution starts cloudy (due to scattering of light by the healthy erythrocytes) and becomes clear if haemolysis takes place (i.e. the solution is hypotonic to the cells). The osmotic pressure into the cells causes them to lyse. This releases hemoglobin into the solution, turning it a deeper shade of red, but also resulting in clarification (since there are no longer whole cells to scatter the light). Since lysing is obviously irreversible, I can't see why you'd expect the solution to to ever change from being clear.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the molarity of a solution that contains 17 g of NH3 in 0.50 L of solution [ 1 Answers ]

What is the molarity of a solution that contains 17 g of NH3 in 0.50 L of solution

How to calculate the molar heat of a solution and a heat of a solution [ 2 Answers ]

The calorimeter is prepared with 44.96 g of water, both at 22.6 Celsius. 2.42 g of salt are dissolved in the water ( note the total solution mass) and the temperature falls to 19.9 Celsius . Calculate the heat of the solution for the salt. If the salt is potassium chloride, calculate...

View more questions Search