Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LinfieldPA Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

Feb 10, 2007, 10:33 PM
    Mastic vs. Foil Tape for Galvanized Ductwork
    Does anyone have a recommendation for sealing galvanized ductwork? I've read that mastic is the best, but looks like it might be a bit of a mess. Tape seems easier, but I've read that most don't perform very well. Any thoughts? What about a specific brand of tape that is approved by most building codes (UL-181) for use on metal ductwork? All I seem to find at most stores is UL-181 approved for ductboard or flex duct, not metal.

Thanks for any help,
    Brian
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 10, 2007, 10:43 PM
    If you want the tightest seal go with the mastic.

Covalence Adhesives - covalenceadhesives.com

For the best tape in the world. Once you put it on it will not come off.LOL No kidding. Look under hvac on there site.
    bkspero Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Feb 11, 2007, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LinfieldPA
    Does anyone have a recommendation for sealing galvanized ductwork? I've read that mastic is the best, but looks like it might be a bit of a mess. Tape seems easier, but I've read that most don't perform very well. Any thoughts? What about a specific brand of tape that is approved by most building codes (UL-181) for use on metal ductwork? All I seem to find at most stores is UL-181 approved for ductboard or flex duct, not metal.

Thanks for any help,
    Brian
    I've sealed mine with UL-181 aluminum tape about 18 months ago. No sign of loosening or leaks so far. One bit of advice. It's easy to puncture the tape with sharp edges of sheetmetal. Like where the ends of the "C" connectors bend over. Be prepared to put a few layers of tape over those areas. I dry wiped dust from the areas where the tape would be applied, but did not clean it with any fluid (the ducts are 18 yrs old).
    LinfieldPA Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

Feb 11, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I picked up some Nashua 324A (Covalence Adhesives product). I had looked at it before, but it says "recommended for use on fiberglass air duct" and nowhere even in their literature do they even mention sheet metal duct. I figured they'd have one that was made for (or at least marketed towards) sheet metal ducts, but apparently not. I assume 324A (foil-backed acrylic adhesive) would be fine for sheet metal? What brand do/did you guys use?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 11, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I picked up some Nashua 324A (Covalence Adhesives product). I had looked at it before, but it says "recommended for use on fiberglass air duct" and nowhere even in their literature do they even mention sheet metal duct. I figured they'd have one that was made for (or at least marketed towards) sheet metal ducts, but apparently not. I assume 324A (foil-backed acrylic adhesive) would be fine for sheet metal? What brand do/did you guys use?
    Actually if you go to there wab site and look through all the stuff they do have a tape specific for sheet metal. What you have may work.

I use POLYKEN 558CA tape for my metal work Nashua and Polyken are sister products so to speak. They are probably the best.
    bkspero Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Feb 12, 2007, 03:53 PM
    I used two different products sold by Lowe's. One sounds like the Nashua product you mention (for use on foil faced rigid fiberglass duct) and the other was heavier weight and slightly wider made for sheetmetal. I had to take greater care with the lighter weight tape for fiberglass ducts to avoid or patch pinholes from sharp edges on the ducts, and also to make sure that the slightly narrower tape bridged all the gaps with reasonable area for adhesion. But as far as function is concerned, I have seen no difference between the 2 after 1.5 heating and 1 cooling season. Both are sticking tightly to the ductwork.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing cement Mastic [ 6 Answers ]

I have removed tile from a cement floor. On the surface of the floor is the cement mastic that held the tile. How do I remove it? I really don't want to spend the next three weeks chiseling it off. Is there another way that is not so time consuming? The mastic is really bonded directly to the...

Ductwork squeak [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have never asked a question on this forum before, so I apologize if I do not follow convention. About 3 days ago, I noticed a squeak coming from what appears to be my heating ductwork only when the furnace is on. The squeak seems to be about 1 second long and occurs approximately every...

Converting galvanized to something better [ 1 Answers ]

I live in an old mobile home that has galvanized water pipes, and it got a crack in the hot water line so I removed the water heater and cut the pipe a little past the crack. I could really us help on finding out what type of pipe would be the best to replace what I cut out and what the easiest way...

Removing Hardset Tile Mastic from Concrete Floor [ 1 Answers ]

I need to remove a hardset ( not glue type) mastic from a large area of concrete floor. The mastic is almost as hard as the concrete and must be ground down in order to lay carpet. I am currently using a floor belt sander with hardest grade paper. It's moving at just about a snails pace. Is...

View more questions Search