Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2011, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    There has to be a way for abuse, or perceived abuses to be reviewed, and dealt with accordingly. Just to keep them honest, and get some full disclosure.

But when the boss of a Justices wife comes before the court, you can't tell me that looks good. Or smells good.
    Or when a Chief Justice makes a ruling on a case that pertained to a decision he made while Sec of State in the previous administration...

THAT was Marbury v Madison.

Looks to me that recusals are purely the decision of the justice involved in the current system.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2011, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Plessy codified Jim Crow ;but that was wrongly decided. There was no "state right" to violate the provisions of the 13 and 14 amendment .
    Hello again, tom:

Nonetheless, they WERE and it took the Supreme Court to STOP it. Maybe somebody else HAD authority to act, but they didn't. The Supreme Court did.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2011, 09:27 AM

The Federal Gvt was acting on it until Plessy (a Louisiana law that the state thought complied with the 14th) . The fact is that there is nothing in the Constitution that says "separate but equal" ;the court made that up. In the majority opinion Justice Henry Brown said :
    "[w]e cannot say that a law which authorizes or even requires the separation of the two races in public conveyances is unreasonable."
    Where did he get that from the Constitution ? He made it up.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 18, 2011, 09:48 AM

I think in this age of instant information, a lot of what was done in the past, and done now will change under intense scrutiny.

The level of debate has been raised considerably since colonial days. Its not just the closed society of lawmakers, and politicians making arbitrary decisions for us all. We have come a ways since then, and I think some adjustments are in order.

They affect to many people for it not to happen.
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2011, 09:54 AM

Tal agree . The mechanism is in place for Constitutional changes. I see nothing that says judicial fiat .
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 18, 2011, 10:37 AM

Unfortunately Tom, changes never comes quickly. But it starts with agreement that change is necessary. I think the worst thing that can happen is when one side is so against the changes that have to be made that they fight a war over it, and I at least hope that has changed, at least in a physical sense, because the courts are too valuable a tool in a free society.

Open and accountable are the words that come to mind. Not just for the Supreme Court mind you, but at all levels of the judiary, for government even.
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2011, 10:58 AM

The Constitution gives Congress the power to create and alter all Federal Courts except SCOTUS . They can easily be changed by Congressional action (as I noted in the Marbury case ) .
    To change SCOTUS would be for either an amendment ;or for one or both other branches to exercise their Constitutional authority . That would unfortunately create a Constitutional crisis ,since as Ex pointed out ;there is 200 yrs of precedence behind the SCOTUS power grab. So the amendment process is preferred .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this Imperial Table an antique? [ 0 Answers ]

So I got this table from a neighbor http://i56.tinypic.com/2aaadfs.jpg http://i53.tinypic.com/2cka48.jpg As you can see, this was manufactured by the Imperial Furniture Co. of Grand Rapids, MI. From a little research, they are supposed to be renowned table makers, who've been out of...

The Imperial Presidency [ 13 Answers ]

Remember the time not so long ago when the Dems and the compliant media would complain about President Bush's use of signing statements ,executive orders and recess appointments ? Well that was then ;and since "Bush did it " (the new corollary to "it's Bush's fault) President Obama is planning...

GOP Appoints Racist to Judiciary Committee [ 64 Answers ]

GOP Appoints Racist to Judiciary Committee On Tuesday, the GOP announced that Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions (R-AL) will replace Pennsylvania Senator Arlen Specter (Republican now turned Democrat) as the head of the Senate Judiciary Committee. This Judiciary Committee is responsible for...

The Imperial Presidency [ 20 Answers ]

Hello Rightys: It appears that George Bush has taken on some additional duties for himself(and I use the term loosely). You could argue that he hasn't, and you'd be wrong. However, my question isn't about him. Of course, if his expanded view of the presidency isn't curtailed, whoever...

View more questions Search