Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mwhop Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2011, 11:33 AM
    Can I and how do I, file a lien against an estate in Kansas?
    Can I and how do I file a lien against an estate in Kansas?
    This is what happened, I gave a lone to a friend in financial distress when his mother passed away, and the loan was to pay real-estate taxes, catch up the mortgage. I deposited a check into the late mothers account for $38K, and change. I made the agreement with the son who was supposed to inherit the estate, and he agreed to pay me back when the hose finished probate. Now the siblings are contesting the will and it appears that the estate will be divided.
    It has now been close to 1 year and 9 months since I deposited the check into the mother's account that was a few weeks after her death. The estate is located in Kansas.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 15, 2011, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhop View Post
    Can I and how do I file a lien against an estate in kansas?
    This is what happened, I gave a lone to a friend in financial distress when his mother passed away, and the loan was to pay real-estate taxes, catch up the mortgage. I deposited a check into the late mothers account for $38K, and change. I made the agreement with the son who was supposed to inherit the estate, and he agreed to pay me back when the hose finished probate. Now the siblings are contesting the will and it appears that the estate will be divided.
    It has now been close to 1 year and 9 months since I deposited the check into the mother’s account that was a few weeks after her death. The estate is located in Kansas.
    You write a check for $38,000 and didn't have a couple hundred bucks to first check with an attorney, who could have protected your investment?

One doesn't normally file a lien against an estate, one files a claim with the personal representative. The window of opportunity to file such a claim may be closing soon, so go out and find an attorney before it's too late.

It doesn't matter whether there is agreement as to the will or not. The estate owns the house and it aught to pay you what it owes you. First, go to the courthouse and read the entire probate file. Then ask the court to order that the house be sold and that you be paid from the proceeds.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 15, 2011, 04:11 PM

First you have to establish your claim. Do you have anything in writing about this agreement? What you probably need to do is file a claim against the estate for the amount you advanced. However, if your agreement was with the son, you may have no legal claim against the estate. You may have to file suit against the son and them you may be able to place a lien against his share of the estate.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 15, 2011, 06:08 PM

I am not sure you have a claim against the estate. You will have a claim against the son who your agreement was with.
    The legal administator of the estate did not make any legal agreement, It may be determined a gift to the estate.

And the estate did not have any money ? If no, why did you think it would latter ?

Sorry but something sounds so fishy with the story
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 15, 2011, 09:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    ... And the estate did not have any money ? if no, why did you think it would latter ?

Sorry but something sounds so fishy with the story
    Good point. OP said "... he agreed to pay me back when the hose finished probate ...", but as you say, that doesn't make sense. Unless there was an expectation of additional funds to be paid by the estate to the friend, the distribution out of probate wouldn't generate any funds.

And in any event, the tax and mortgage payments should have been made by the estate, not the friend of the OP/ son of the decedent. If the estate had no liquid assets to pay these expenses, it should have borrowed the money using the home as security.

In any event, assuming the home is the only major asset of the estate, it looks like the home will have to be sold. And if it wasn't the only major asset, what was the crisis? It looks like the "friend" might have pulled one over on OP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file a ucc lien against a real estate property [ 2 Answers ]

How can I file a lien using ucc form against a real estate property So they can not sale it until satisfied my lien or my interest [

File a lien on real estate [ 5 Answers ]

How do I file a lien on a property

How to file a lien on real estate in NY state [ 4 Answers ]

Hi my question is: I won a small claims judgement in NY state where I reside in regards to road work on our shared private road with a road agreement in place. I want to file a lien on this persons real estate ( a parcel of land)Also in NY state. I went to the small claims to acquire a Trascript of...

How do I file a Real Estate Lien against my brother for my elderly mother? [ 9 Answers ]

Brother tricked elderly mother in transferring her ownership in her real estate to him. Her name is no longer on the deed. The transfer of property at zero dollars value to her, who paid the mortgage and still does through her social security check. He thereafter, removed her from her home. He...

Can I file a real estate lien [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine flipping houses. She is running low on cash and does not have enough credit to help. She is asking to borrow money from me to help them finish the house so they can sell it. In return I am being offered a great return on my money when they sell. However, I still need to protect...

View more questions Search