stellasbiz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 04:28 AM
    Transfer of probation to another state
    What is the procedure to transfer probation to another state
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Hello stella:

Ask your PO what the rules are, and then ask him for a copy. You'll be able to determine whether he's on your side or not. At least he'll know that you want to transfer, so he's not going to be surprised when he receives your request. This whole thing is about avoiding surprises. Cops HATE surprises.

Next; don't go yourself, but get a job and a place to live in the other state. Write the probation agency that will be doing your supervision. Introduce yourself. Tell them about your job, and your place to live. Tell them about your crime and how sorry you are. Tell them that you are about to request a transfer, and wanted to give them a heads up.

Then, make your request in writing to your present PO. Having read the rules, you'll KNOW that you meet the criteria. Therefore, in your request, tell them that you, indeed, meet the criteria for transfer according to rule such and such... cite the rule.

A request formed in that manner will be awfully hard to turn down. If it IS turned down, you've got your ducks all lined up for an appeal.

excon
    jackileww Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2007, 10:43 AM
    What is the procedure to transfer probation to another state? I am moving from PA to VA
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2007, 11:19 AM
    Hello jacki:

Read what I said right above you.

excon
    Alip8427 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 04:59 PM
    Excon-
    What about if the case is so mild, the PO said the state will deny the request? What can I do then?

:confused:
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Hello A:

I don't know what mild means. You either DO meet the critera for transfer or you don't. If you do, and you're turned down, file an appeal.

excon
    bearvsjoel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 10:09 AM
    I took a pretrial and my attorney said I would be able to get a transfer but my PO said it isn't possible to transfer a mistominor probation but I can transfer my community service what can I do I have a job and a place to stay but she doesn't care she was just like you have to come back once a month for probation but that is so much freakin gas money what do I need to do thank you
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 10:12 AM
    Hello bears:

Dude: READ what I said right above you.

excon
    imsorrysosorry Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Apr 28, 2009, 06:54 PM

Haha just got to read the damned thang mang lol,
    exconn is right for sho
    Tommy2109 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2009, 12:22 AM
    Excon, I have read what you've posed above and I do understand what you are say. I'm trying to move from Massachusetts to Kansas to start my life over. I am only 21 but the crimes they got me with are not anything to play with. My PO is not the best I've ever had and I believe that no matter how good I can make this move sound he will fight it ever step of the way. My crime took place may 18th 2007... my probation was set from (1/6/08-1/6/13) I have a meeting with my PO every two weeks... My next one is in 2 days... I just want to know how to kick it to him that this is what I want to do without him flipping his lid... he is an a$$ and something as small as a speeding ticket is a VOP to him... trust me I've been there already. Please take you're time in answering to this... there's no rush... I'm just trying to make this move ASAP

Thanks, Tommy
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2009, 06:58 AM

Hello T:

This isn't about them. We KNOW how they are. This is about what YOU do. I told you EXACTLY what to DO above. I see that you want to do something else... That ain't going to work.

See where I said above in "writing"?? That's what you do. You don't SAY anything. You don't argue. You don't beg and plead. You submit, and appeal. That's all. Do it.

excon
    bedroomeyes76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2009, 11:06 PM
    What is the Interstate Transfer Process?

When a probationer requests, through their probation officer, a transfer of supervision to another state (Receiving State), the probation officer in the current state (Sending State) reviews the case to determine whether the probationer meets the necessary criteria for transfer. That criteria includes having an established residence and/or immediate family and employment or visible means of support in the Receiving State. It is important to note that a transfer to another state is a privilege provided to probationers who are currently complying with their terms and conditions of probation. If the probation officer agrees to pursue a transfer, the probationer must execute a waiver of extradition and must agree to abide by the terms and conditions set by both the Sending and Receiving States.

What are the Reporting Instructions Process?

A probationer is not allowed to move to another state to live without contacting that Receiving State. Permission is required FIRST from the Receiving State in most cases. The Sending State must complete a form that presents a snapshot of the case and forward it to the Receiving State. The Receiving State reviews the information and decides whether it will provide reporting instructions, then returns the information back to the Sending State. If a probationer is found to be in another state, without prior notification and or permission, the probationer may face legal action in that state, such as an arrest or be ordered to pay a fine.
    KrazyKat10 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 10:05 PM
    Excon I have also read everything u've put on here... I have a man in Prison right now in IN and I have moved to GA for my job... I need to get him transferred down here as son as he gets out... Is there anything I can do to get things done a little faster and easier?
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2010, 11:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKat10 View Post
    Is there anything I can do to get things done a lil faster and easier??
    Hello K:

Sure. Have him transferred BEFORE he even gets out. The requirements are the same, and he can bypass Indiana probation entirely. He needs to change his plans with the appropriate people in prison such as his case manager. He should know who he has to arrange it with inside.

excon
    KrazyKat10 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 04:40 PM

Thanks!!
    bumblebea Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2010, 03:06 PM
    Good luck with that my husband has been trying to move from California to Colorado where me and his dauther are. He got a very good job and has a place to stay with me, his po is has sumited the transfer request 2 times and it has been denied both times. He lost the good job he had gotten because he was unable to start because they denied it . My parents even wrote a letter stating they would help support him as long as they needed he wrote a letter along with the offer letter he received from the employer and they still denied it we both are so sad I don't think we will ever be together so I don't think it matters what you do. I hope you have better luck then we did.
    bumblebea Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2010, 03:11 PM

Its hard to transfer my husband has tried twice and its been diened. He had a good job, a place to stay and me and is daughter are here in co. he is ca. is po sumitted twice and it was deined twice I hope you have better luck then us. We are both so sad I don't think we will ever be together. And he wrote a letter my parents wrote a letter stating they would help and he had paper work from his job and they still deined it
    Uber Member

May 24, 2010, 03:14 PM

Hello b:

What is the reason they denied you?

excon
    jeannie85 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2010, 09:42 PM
    Hello I was wondering does this apply for every state? How long is the process even if written or whatever we have to do? We are suppose to move in 20 days the probation officer knew we were moving financial issue took a toll and we got to stay in the same state but different counties which is 9 1/2 hrs away. So she has been nice so far. If we tell her the move is sooner because we will be homeless will they let the transfer go through or does he have to go to court to do so? I hope I asked the right question... Thanks
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2010, 02:26 AM

Hello J:

Go read this:

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transfer of probation [ 16 Answers ]

How long will it take to transfer my probation from Michigan to dallas Texas I was put on probation for 12 months on a larceny in building charge that was knock down to a entry without permission charge. The department of correction or my "probation officer" requested that I do 90 days in jail if I...

Interstate Transfer of Probation [ 4 Answers ]

My son is 19 years old, living in NYC. He is on 10 years probation for a sexual offense. He was tried as a youthful offender, and is not required to register as a sex offender. He is employed full time and is in therapy in accordance with the terms of his probation. We are interested in...

Felony probation transfer [ 2 Answers ]

My younger sister would like to transfer her felony probation from Florida to South Carolina--she still owes the state of Florida fines, etc--does anyone know the requirements to transferring probation--is there a legal process, etc? Any insight would be most appreciated.

Probation transfer [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I received probation.We had to accept a plea agreement and 2 felony 4's.All allegations of dangerous crimes against children have been lifted.Our 3 children live in Maryland with a relative.This relative doesn't want us to get our children back.We lost our infant son in March 1999.We...

Probation Transfer [ 2 Answers ]

My fiance' is in County Jail on misdemeanor drug charges. He is due to be released August 25 and has one year's probation after his release. The problem arises in the fact that I am in Kansas, where we live, and he has been told that he must serve his probation in Indiana. He has an established...

View more questions Search