Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    troubled in Greenville Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2007, 08:42 AM
    I'm jealous of my boyfriend's relationship with his 7 year old daughter
    I feel ridiculous admitting this but I'm jealous of the relationship my boyfriend has with his 7 year old daughter. We've been dating almost 2 years, and there has been so much stress! We're both divorced, and met while we were separated. Both of our spouses left us.I have no children, (I'm 41) and he has 2, (he's 42). His son is 4 years old and his daughter 7 years old. The children live with their mother during the week and lives with their father every weekend, holiday, and the entire Summer. He lives 2 hours drive from their mother. Their mother is a big partier and spends very little time with them when they are with her. Their father, my boyfriend, on the other hand, is obsessed with them! We never do anything as a couple, and he refuses to get a babysitter so we can. He constantly says how much his children need him. Early in the Summer, I tried staying over at his house with he and the kids, but it didn't work out well because the children like to come into his room and sleep with him whenever they desire, and he feels they should be able to do this. So, by my being there, he'd have to get up in the early AM, when they awake, and go sleep with them in their beds. Our sex life has definitely suffered. Now we're reduced to a "quickie" occasionally after the kids are in bed, and before I have to travel across town to go back to my home.
    With his children, he very loving, touching, and caring, but is not with me. He says its because the children need this kind of affection, and I should understand since I'm a grown up. Recently, during a church service, he sat his daughter in-between us, and while she sat contently coloring, he pulled her close to him, snuggling her and stroking her leg. For some reason, it gave me the creeps. She didn't solicit the attention, it was like, he couldn't keep his hands off her. Typically, when it's just he and I in church, he doesn't even put his arm around the back of the chair or hold my hand!
    I don't want to be paranoid, but it seems he gets more pleasure from touching his daughter than touching me. When I tried to talk with him about this, he completely blew up, telling me I needed to see a therapist and my jealously towards his daughter was crazy.
    I do not think anything inappropriate is going on between he and his daughter, but I cannot understand to over-flowing of affection directed towards his children, and it's all I can do to get a "crumb"!

I am nuts?
    SBowman Posts: 71, Reputation: 6

Jul 27, 2007, 08:45 AM
    Well, some people handle relationships differently. You're not nuts, since it does seem it looks like he's neglecting you a bit. The only way to do it is to talk to him, and if you really do like his company, it might be necessary to tolerate his daughter if he's not convinced otherwise.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 27, 2007, 12:54 PM
    They do need that kind of attention being such young children, but to withhold it from you completely isn't necessary either. He may be slightly over-compensating if their mother really is what you say.

Is it possible he knows your upset and is purposefully trying to make you mad by withholding attention from you? Hopefully he isn't using his children in order to make you jealous. It wouldn't be very mature of him, but it's a possibility.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2007, 07:37 PM
    Well, the worst thing you can do is to come between him and his children. And that goes for anyone having a relationship with someone who has children. Keep in mind that they will grow out of it soon. Once she gets to be a teenager, she is not going to want to sleep in bed with her father and she is not going to want to snuggle with him in church. Meanwhile, you need to decide whether this arrangement is acceptable to you or not. If you don't like the feeling that you are playing "second fiddle" to his kids, that is perfectly all right, in which case you need to be honest about it and realize that this may not be the right relationship for you.
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Jul 29, 2007, 08:41 PM
    It's natural to feel the way you do. Try to set some boundary of dos and don'ts when the kids are around. That is, the kids even at their age must respect you and your BF's privacy. Discuss this with your BF as an example of setting boundary. A little bit of discipline will help the kids and your BF as well.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2007, 09:05 PM
    If I were single no man would ever stay the night with my children in the home or see me in bed with another man. My children come first no matter what. I can see your bf's point of view. I would feel the same way esp. if the other parent ignores them. Poor kids. On the other had you deserve to have the type of relationship that you want if he can not give it to you then move on.
    agurlinpain Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Mar 7, 2010, 11:36 AM
    Hi I'm actually going through the same issue with my boyfriend right now and his two sons which are 7 and 5. Its so hard because he's a good guy and all but I can't take the fact that he's so emotionally connected like this with his kids. He takes itto a whole another level but he always tells me That's my issue I'm having and that's not something you tell your girlfriend when I'm trying to do my best and work through this issue. Its hard but all I can say is move on and you will find love again one day just like me and keep faith in God and blessings will always come your way.
    Candishop Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2011, 09:32 AM
    This is ridiculous he should be able to balance his time and affections
    egiptsangeleyes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2011, 03:09 PM
    U know what you mean. My boyfriend has 4 kids with his ex. Actually 2 of them aren't even his, but he considers them his. He is good to me when we aren't around them but whenever they comw to his house, it is like I am a part of the wallpaper on his wall.
    egiptsangeleyes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2011, 03:09 PM
    U know what you mean. My boyfriend has 4 kids with his ex. Actually 2 of them aren't even his, but he considers them his. He is good to me when we aren't around them but whenever they comw to his house, it is like I am a part of the wallpaper on his wall.
    SadButTrue70 Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

Aug 1, 2011, 03:49 PM
    I see this was posted years ago. Do you still have the problem?
    yeuxdeloup Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2012, 12:57 PM
    Hello, I completely understand what your going through, as I'm going through something very similar, only difference is my boyfriend daughters are 14 and 18... but like you some things creep me out like when he sits them still on his knee and calls them baby... I just try to keep in mind that they are his girls, and they need their dad, and that he might feel the same way about my sons who are 21 and 23... but I don't sit them on my knee.
    Don't ever come between him and his daughter, just sit tight, you've made it 2 years so he must have strong feelings for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost relationship with daughter [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I will try to keep this brief! I have two children, one with Autism who is now in a lovely placement after many years of fighting the authorities (he is 18), my daughter is a young 17. I married in 1988 to a man who turned out to be very mentally abusive, I was crushed by him and so were the...

Father Daughter relationship [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a Newbie to the Board. I would like some Input on inappropicate behavior between father and Daughter. I have a 26 year old Step-Daughter that is real close to her Dad. She became a Massage therapist and My husband said he would pay her for a complete Rub. This bothered me because we...

I have a 2 year old daughter and her father has not seen her in over a year. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old daughter and her father left me when she was 5 months old and the last time he saw her was 2 weeks before Christmas 2006, he and I were never married. He knows where she is and how to get ahold of me and see her, but has failed in trying to contact me or see her. I do not have a...

Do you have to be good friends with boyfriend's friend for a relationship to work? [ 2 Answers ]

Does two people have to know each other really well before getting into a relationship? Or can you get to know each other while dating and thereby improving your relationship? Is it important that you are friends with his friends (meaning you can chill and hang out with his friends too, like you...

Father and daughter relationship [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I am 30 year old woman. Does anyone here think it is normal for a father not to be there emotionally/psychologically for their daughter? Before my mother died a few years ago my father never had much time for me. When he did he usually used this time to put me down by calling me a waster and...

View more questions Search