Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elle928 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2007, 04:48 AM
    Bed Slats for full size bed
    I am purchasing a new mattress and box spring. I have been told that I need to supply three full size bed slats. I need the dimensions and type of wood that should be used so I can purchase them at my nearest Home Depot or Lowe's. I specifically need the length required. I need this answer very soon as the mattress and box spring are being delivered and set up in four days. Thanks
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 05:04 AM
    It is going to depened on the inner dimensions of your bed frame. My mother has an all wood bed frame for her queen set and it is completely different from my son's bedframe that has the "hollywood" frame, i.e. all metal.

The box spring has to be properly and evenly supported underneath. Measure the interior of your bedframe and that is your length. My mother's are approximately 3.5 to 4 inches in width and about an inch thick. Hers are made of cherry. Ask the hardware man for his opinion for the best wood for the application.

If your bedframe isn't built to accept wooden slats, you may run into a problem. All frames I have seen have recessed cuts for the slat to sit so the box spring sits evenly.
    Creative5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2011, 04:01 PM
    Set the bed up, have a tape measure. I only have one for sewing so I taped the one end it to the inside of the bed rail and used the other end to get my measurement. I have a full size bed, metal rails and it measures 54 1/2". Now off to Loew's :)
    Kburn123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2013, 05:52 AM
    The work I do has me putting bed frames together often.. new and used. A full size box spring is 53 inches long. The frame can be anywheres between 53 and 54.5 inches. Your best bet is to wait till the sets come and measure but if you really want to get them before they arrive... I would get them all at 54 inches and have a man with a circular saw ready to cut the tips if needed. If you do t have a saw handy the boards can still lay in the frame at a slant. I find that most frames are actually between 53 inches and 54inches. The above poster said his was 54.5 inches. That is unusual I think. 3/4 inch thickness for the slats and just a common board. The Home Depot has an entire area for common boards and anywheres between 4 and 6 inches in width.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bed-wetting [ 33 Answers ]

:( Does anyone have any advice on what to do about bed-wetting? Here's a little history: -We have a seven year old boy who continues to wet the bed every night. (Almost, there are a couple of times a year he goes without doing it. He's even gone up to about 4 days without then all of a sudden...

Bed slats [ 3 Answers ]

I have a queen bed with wooden head and foot boards and two(2) metal rails that are L shaped. The mattress sits on the horizontal portion of the rail quite snug/tight. Why were three wooden slat shipped with the bed? Are they necessary?

Bed rest [ 2 Answers ]

I went to the dr today because I had a scare on Saturday, I had passed a small amount of mucus and had cramps all day. I didn't go to the emergency room cause if something was happening this early on there's not much that they could do but have me lay down and take it easy. Well my dr said that I'm...

Anyone own an air bed? [ 5 Answers ]

If you own an air bed, would you please answer some questions. 1. Does it hurt your back or some other parts when you sleep on it daily? 2. If you have a cat, does it scratch it!

View more questions Search