Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rvlec Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Jun 30, 2011, 05:25 AM
    Why is check engine light still coming on after replacing egr valve?
    I recently replaced the EGR valve on my wife's 1999 Honda Odyssey. I took it to the auto parts store and they did the diagnostic test. I bought new EGR and put it on. I reset the check engine light by disconnecting the battery cable. This lasted just a short while and the light came back on. I bought a scan tool and reset it with that. A few miles down the road the check engine light came back on. It is still coding for the EGR valve. Did I get a bad EGR? I did notice on the replacement EGR, the port (opening) wasn't as large as the original EGR.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2011, 06:56 AM

. Return the part and go OEM, if necessary. The new part sounds suspect.

. Ensure all related passages are clear.

. Use SAE 5W-30 synthetic engine oil (e.g. Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum). They dramatically help EGRs and the rest of the emissions control system to stay much cleaner.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 30, 2011, 08:11 AM
    Some codes are caused by other things related to the actual part. The code doesn't always identify the actual exact thing that is bad. You could have a bad vacuum line to the EGR or something like that. I do agree with TxGreaseMonkey in that you should return it and spend the money for an OEM part if you check passages and vacuum lines/hoses and find nothing wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

EGR Valve - Check Engin Light [ 2 Answers ]

Hope someone can help me here... I have a 2000 Ford Expolrer with a V8 and AWD. Back at the end of June the check engin light cam on and I took it to my local shop. They checked the code and told me it needed a new EGR valve position sensor which they replaced. Two weeks later the light was back...

What is wrong when you have replaced the egr valve plus cleaned the line check engine [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1999 camry. The check engine light keep coming on. I have replaced the EGR valve and cleaned the EGR valve plus the mounting pipe leading to the EGR valve and the throttle body.I used throttle cleaner. I have done this a number of times and the light comes back on. Could it possibly have...

Check engine light on and smoke coming from under the hood [ 1 Answers ]

I just got my car back from the dealership they said they repaired the coolent leak they replaced the valve cover gaskets and tube seals, replaced o-rings and water pump. That was on Monday and on Tuesday I noticed the smoke coming from the tailpipe again. Today while driving home the service...

Check engine light is repeatedly coming on [ 14 Answers ]

I was due to have my belts including my timing belt and water pump replaced so I brought them to a local garage to have the truck repaired. Prior to this time, I was having an issue with not receiving enough heat during the winter months from the heater to keep the truck warm so I asked for the...

98 accord loss of oil and check engine light coming on [ 3 Answers ]

My check engine light came on and I noticed that the car was very low on oil. I reset the light and added oil. I drove the car for a mile or so and noticed that the oil I put in was gone. I don't see any puddles of oil or any places that look like oil is leaking. 2 Years ago I had something like...

View more questions Search