Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gotquestion12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2011, 06:11 PM
    Can I be fired for being out sick, with doctors note?
    I have been out sick for 3 weeks with pneumonia. Doctors note excusing me from 6/5 threw 6/18. Went back to work for 1 day on 6/19. So sick still, lungs in pain. Revisited doctor for the 3rd time and he authorized me to be out again from 6/20 thew 6/24. My very first visit was with a nurse Practitioner. My employer is very upset that I have been gone for so long. Told me he is on the fence with me, on what to do with me. I have been working there for almost 4 years and have had 2 longer medical leaves. 1 for a surgery, out about 1 n 1/2 months. 2nd broke my arm, and home for a month or little more. Of course working there this long there have been times of head colds or just the 2, 3 day flu we all get. Is it legal to fire me for being out this time with pneumonia? And having all my doctors information for him?
    missy706 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2011, 06:21 PM

I should hope not! That's just crazy you can't help that you got sick that's life. Since you have all your paper work you should be fine. If your boss fires you then their just an @**hole...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 21, 2011, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by missy706 View Post
    I should hope not! That's just crazy you can't help that you got sick that's life. Since you have all your paper work you should be fine. If your boss fires you then their just an @**hole...
    You have a good heart and a foul mouth, but know nothing of the law. We pride the site with actual real legal advice, not feel good opinions that are not based on law and actually just plain wrong.

So please unless you have actual info and facts, we do not want non legal answers in the legal section.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 21, 2011, 07:01 PM

Unless you have a contract or unless you are part of a union, of course they can fire you.

In fact you are out much more than most people, you have tree medical outs for at least a month, but a lot more of several days.

You appear to have a trend to a lot of medical care and needs and can be fired for this.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 21, 2011, 07:13 PM

It depends on the company policy for medical leave. But as Chuck pointed out, unless you are covered by personal or union contract, they can fire you for no reason at all.

They may not be able to fire you while on leave or immediately after, but eventually they will find some reason to get rid of you.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 21, 2011, 07:28 PM

Most folks know little about employment laws, think they are protected and they are not. Employers can not discriminate againist protected classes but they can terminate most folks with no reason at all. I was an HR director for years and advised my "manager" to not give any reason, reason may have to be proven later. An "at will" employee has a very very small safety net. Employment At Will: What Does It Mean? - Free Legal Information - Nolo
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 21, 2011, 09:17 PM

Does your company have more than 50 workers? If so, the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 may protect you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get fired if I have a Doctors note to be our of work before my baby is due? [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently due in a few weeks. At the last doctors appointment I had my doctor mentioned me leaving work a little early due to the stress at my job not being good for me or the baby (it has been bringing on contractions, and I have been having problems sleeping) and I have been also been having...

Can I be fired for being sick and having a doctors note to prove it? [ 3 Answers ]

I started a job two weeks ago and the3 second week I got strep throat and was told to take the week off with a doctors note to prove it, I called the super and told him what was going on and he said to come back when I was able too, then two days later I heard from a fellow crew member the super...

Can you get fired if you have doctors note for your absence [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I worked for a company for 2 year, within those to years I valentered and worked 24 straight hours many days, weekling getting form 100-115 hours a week in summrt time, finally when winter hits I started getting sick and I don't mean flu and something that nature, I was getting constepeted,...

View more questions Search