Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    royscott95821 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2006, 05:49 PM
    401K Early Withdrawal, Disability
    I am 62. My wife is 54. She is on SS Disability. We live in California. She has money in a 401K from her previous employer, from whom she is on disability. We would like to take a partial withdrawal. What are the penalities? Are there special provisions because of her disability status?
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Dec 10, 2006, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by royscott95821
    I am 62. My wife is 54. She is on SS Disability. We live in California. She has money in a 401K from her previous employer, from whom she is on disability. We would like to take a partial withdrawal. What are the penalities? Are there special provisions because of her disability status?
    There is an exception to the 10% penalty for someone who is "totally and permanently" disabled. The IRS definition is below:
    What Is Permanent and Total Disability?

A person is permanently and totally disabled if both 1 and 2 below apply.
    1. He or she cannot engage in any substantial gainful activity because of a physical or mental condition.
    2. A physician determines that the condition has lasted or can be expected to last continuously for at least a year or can lead to death.
    royscott95821 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2006, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by walt17
    There is an exception to the 10% penalty for someone who is "totally and permanently" disabled. The IRS definition is below:
    What Is Permanent and Total Disability?

A person is permanently and totally disabled if both 1 and 2 below apply.
    1. He or she cannot engage in any substantial gainful activity because of a physical or mental condition.
    2. A physician determines that the condition has lasted or can be expected to last continuously for at least a year or can lead to death.

Thanks for your response.
    We contacted Lincoln Life, and received the same answer. However, they did not inform us of the IRS information. My wife meets both of the criteria.
    Just to let everyone who reads this Know:
    The fund is doing very well, and earns from 12 to currently 15.8 effective annual percent. So, we want to take only what we need for now, and let the rest grow back to the original amount. This should happen in about 5 years. We plan to wait until January to withdraw, so that the 20% Income Tax withheld will occur for 2007.

Thanks again,
    Roy W. Scott
    nesmith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2010, 04:22 PM

Does anyone have an IRS Code number reference for this definition?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nesmith View Post
    Does anyone have an IRS Code number reference for this definition?
    Please clarify your question - I'm not sure what an "IRS code number" is.

However, if what you mean is what is the "distribution code" that is reported on your 1099-R if you trake a distribution from your 401(k) due to disability, it is code 3.
    jibnob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2011, 02:24 PM
    Fart nog

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k early withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

Can you withdraw from a 401 to satisfy a divorce settlement without penalty?

401K early withdrawal [ 15 Answers ]

I have a 401K question about early withdrawel. Actually, let me give you a scenario: 401K balance - $28000.00 I have the understanding that 20% is immediately taken out for federal taxes with an early withdrawel, which would be in this case $5600.00, and that would make the distribution...

How do you get a 401k early withdrawal? [ 1 Answers ]

How do you actually go about getting your 401k withdrawal?what does the total penalty and tax percentage taken off add up to?can you get it at any time of the year? Is it possible for your 401k to be "tied up" when you need it?please help!!

401K Early Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

My company was purchased by another company that has established a new 401K. I have not yet done anything with my previous 401K. I would like to take the cash from my previous 401K and pay off my son's school loan. If I use the money to pay of the education loan, I know I will have to pay taxes...

401K early withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

I have been laid off due to a work injury. To survive I must cash in my 401k, but I am trying to avoid the early withdrawal penalty. I have not yet been declared disabled but am currently pursuing this. Our family taxable income is only 26,000.00. I am currently receiving workman's compensation...

View more questions Search