Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Roberta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2005, 04:44 PM
    How long can mother cat nurse kittens
    Could someone please tell me how long a mother cat can nurse kittens.
    I am feeding a feral cat, and she has had kittens 5 or 6 weeks ago I think. I give her good quality and variety of cat food, and I have also been putting kitten food in the dishes in case the kittens are now able to eat by themselves. However, I am not sure they always have access to the food because of a very busy street. They shelter on my side of the street. Crossing to get food can be dangerous at certain times of day. I am not allowed to feed on my side and have to put the food across the street in the preserve. I am in a condo association and my neighbors hate animals. I am wondering how long the mother can continue nursing the kittens to augment the food I am putting across the street if they are not able to get over there to get it. The 4th of July weekend was very hectic and scary for all the animals and they may have had trouble crossing to get the food.
    I think the kittens are about a month and a half old, and could eat my food if they could get to the food. I did see one over there once a couple weeks ago, so she may be taking them over there on a daily basis, I don't know. I don't want them to starve, but as I said, I am not allowed to feed on my side. I am hoping that she can still nurse them at those times when they cannot get over to get my food.
    Thank you for any help.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jul 12, 2005, 01:18 PM
    Kittens
    The mother will continue to feed the kittens until she is ready to wean them which will be between 8 to 12 weeks or produces another litter. I have listed a link below for you so next time you will not have to wait for someone to answer you. I hope that it will be helpful to you.

http://www.peteducation.com
    lamby27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2009, 05:51 AM
    You should call animal control because those cats will grow up feral and eventually will not be able to get homes.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2009, 07:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lamby27 View Post
    you should call animal control because those cats will grow up feral and eventually will not be able to get homes.
    The "kittens" are now 4 years old.

Please check the dates of posts before replying.
    carli1221 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2010, 01:56 AM
    Comment on shazamataz's post
    Even though the answer may not have been helpful to you or whoever originally asked it, but I was searching for information on what to do about stray kittens I now have some. Plus, all "lamby27" was trying to do was help.
    jollygreenguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2011, 09:34 AM
    I agree with carli1221.

Even though lamby27 answered the question 4 years later and it may not be helpful to you current, all he/she was trying to do is help!

Not only that, but these forums may be visited years later by someone also in search of an answer. Again, even though the reply was much late, the answer may be very helpful for others in the year 2011.

I am on other forums (ASP.NET) and I frequently respond to other people on the internet that have questions/problems/etc about programming and development. Many times I see a question that remains unanswered for a few years. When I respond to them, I sometimes get a reply that although they accomplished the task a different way, by me responding gave them helpful information for future projects.

I am also on the reverse end of that and I have a technical issue, I post it to the forums and I may have resolved it via a different but non-preferred method, I now have a solution for when it happens again or when I want to do it the org. way!

John
    PinkH20Lilly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2011, 12:05 PM
    My cat had her kittens over 2 months ago and a few times a day I see the kittens latched onto her. They are eating dry and wet cat food also, but they still nurse also. It's not for long, but she must still be producing something for them to still latch on the way they do. For anyone in the same situation I would try to find them homes. Some local papers will let you place a free add so you can find the kittys a home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

When/how to separate mother from kittens [ 1 Answers ]

My cat had kittens about 8 weeks ago. She hid them in a in the basement and they didn't have any light or human contact. I have brought them upstairs and put them in a pack and play. They are very timid but except for one they will let me handle them. Is there anything else I should do besides...

Kittens 2 weeks old mother PG? HELP [ 3 Answers ]

Recently our female cat had a litter of four kittens, they are two weeks and two days old when this happened. My male cat the father of these beauties went to the vet and was neutered and all four declaws removed because leather furniture coming he is three yrs. Old and I just would never part with...

Mother cat had kittens in a shed! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi.  I need some advice on what to do.  A strange cat started coming to our house, and we started feeding it.  Now it thinks this is it's home.  It kept coming back, and after a while we realized it was preagnant.  It started getting really fat, and then this morning when I saw it it was really...

Momma cat won't nurse kittens... [ 1 Answers ]

One of my cats had kittens, and she won't feed them. We just discovered them today, and we figure she had them either early yesterday or late the night before. So, they've been at least 24 hours without food. Our other mama kitty is keeping them clean, but she won't feed them. There were 5 kittens,...

Mother cat w/kittens won't eat much [ 3 Answers ]

I have a very small queen w/5 kittens 31/2 weeks old the mother will not eat very well and has hairball problems and diarreah. She has round worms and we just startes her on a 3 day rx for the worms. Will she feel better after the rx starts to work?how can I help her? She gives everything to the...

View more questions Search