Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2011, 02:18 PM

I drove a 1982 Toyota pickup for 12 years or so, it was undeterred by potholes. They don't make 'em like that any more.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2011, 04:07 PM
    I would agree with you that Toyota vehicles are remarkable vehicles
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2011, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    I don't need science to tell me that the creek is rising, the poles are melting, the bees are disappearing, the fish are dying, the air stinks, the earth is shaking, and its one helluva storm coming.

Call it whatever you want, but mother earth is doing her thing no matter what humans want to argue about, build at, or dig for. Leave it to us humans to think we have it all figured out, when in fact we have much, much more to learn.

Doesn't matter what you call it, or who makes money from it, it doesn't take a scientist to know, that the Earth does what it does, and gives life as we know it a chance to live. So messing up the air, the water, and the land ain't such a great idea, not if you intend to live here very long.

If all you are worried about is where you money comes from, is going, taxes, or how much something will cost you, boy will you be surprised when Mother Nature sends you a bill, because whether you like it or not, you gotta pay it.

But maybe you could pray for a loan, or more time to pay up. Good Luck with that! The climate is changing, and thats all the facts you need to know. All that matters is what we do about it, when the creek has risen, you can't breath the air, and ain't no food no where. Ya think the Earth will care about your 401K then???

Drill, baby, drill!

Okay, end of rant!
    Can you link a pix of the yurt you live in, and bicycle you use for your every day transportation ?
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2011, 09:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    I don't need science to tell me that the creek is rising, the poles are melting, the bees are disappearing, the fish are dying, the air stinks, the earth is shaking, and its one helluva storm coming.

Call it whatever you want, but mother earth is doing her thing no matter what humans want to argue about, build at, or dig for. Leave it to us humans to think we have it all figured out, when in fact we have much, much more to learn.

!
    I like what this boy says! It is time for us humans who are no more than fleas on a dog to stop thinking we own the dog.

We seem to have completely lost the plot, particularly where I live. Even if we stop pumping CO2 into the atmosphere immediately, which means a return to the stone age, the planet will continue to heat up for a hundred years. Any abatement program is trying not to control the weather tomorrow but trying to control the weather in a hundred years time.

This is not to say alternative and renewable energy sources should not be found but let us not give the lie that we do this for posterity, now here is a very good reason to do something about it, this is serious
    http://www.news.com.au/features/envi...-1226068502698
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2011, 09:21 AM

According to the US National Solar Observatory (NSO) and US Air Force Research Laboratory, we could be headed for another mini ice age thanks to solar inactivity.

Earth may be headed into a mini Ice Age within a decade
    Physicists say sunspot cycle is 'going into hibernation'

Time to ramp up emissions?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2011, 09:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Time to ramp up emissions?
    Hello again, Steve:

Let me ask you this. IF man is causing climate change, WHY are you afraid of doing something about it? It seems to me you have a STAKE in it being a hoax instead. What stake would that be??

Personally, I have a STAKE in the future of my species and my family. But, I'm not wedded to bad news. I'd be THRILLED to find out that throwing trash into the air DOESN'T do the bad stuff that scientists SAY it does. After all, I LOVE burning gasoline, and I can afford it.

But, I'm mystified about what I should be afraid of. Do you think we're going to go back to the stone age? Really. Tell me. Maybe I should be afraid too.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2011, 10:48 AM

It seems to me you have a STAKE in it being a hoax
    Not nearly as much as the climate "scientists" who's careers are dependent on the continuation of the hoax .

There is a much more scientific and historical record to make the claim that solar cycles ,geological ,and extra-terrestrial events like meteor strikes determine Earth's climate cycles much more than human activity .

If the concern is humans "throwing their trash in the air " then why make policy on an alternate fraud?Why not just make policy that encourages conservation and development of alternative energy sources on that rationale instead of jiving us with
    C02 emissions baloney ?

I'll answer that question for you... because a bunch of hucksters found a way to get rich on the premise.
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2011, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Let me ask you this. IF man is causing climate change, WHY are you afraid of doing something about it? It seems to me you have a STAKE in it being a hoax instead. What stake would that be??
    That's a mighty big IF and I'm not ready to sell my soul to a bunch of doomsayers and hypocrites.

But, I'm mystified about what I should be afraid of. Do you think we're going to go back to the stone age? Really. Tell me. Maybe I should be afraid too.
    Good question, what are you afraid of?

I want clean air and clean water, too. Heck, I'd almost support a ban on Styrofoam because it lasts forever and I'm tired of picking up everyone else's cups that blow into my yard. I find that, along with Wal-Mart bags flying in our trees, an ugly disgusting mess. Do it because it's the right thing to do, not because some hypocrite Nobel winner that's making tons of money on this says it's our fault the planet has a fever.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2011, 10:56 AM
    picking up everyone else's cups that blow into my yard. I find that, along with Wal-Mart bags flying in our trees, an ugly disgusting mess.
    What do you do with them after you pick them up or snag them out of the trees? Why do we have to deal with them in the first place?
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2011, 11:09 AM

We have no local recycling options for styrofoam so it goes in the trash. We recycle plastic bags. As for your last question, how should I know?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2011, 11:28 AM
    We have no local recycling options for styrofoam so it goes in the trash. We recycle plastic bags. As for your last question, how should I know?
    Let's get useless styrofoam banned, and go back to recyclable paper bags at stores, or bring your own reusable cloth bags.
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2011, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    ...or bring your own reusable cloth bags.
    I have enough laundry to do without having to wash my grocery bags.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2011, 01:03 PM
    I have enough laundry to do without having to wash my grocery bags.
    They wouldn't have to be washed very often, or else choose recyclable paper bags.

One woman had reported she bought meat right from the butcher at the store and put it in her own containers to take home. She's still alive.
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2011, 05:58 PM
    I have not seen a more ridiculous approach to the environment that exchanging plastic bags for "recycable" cloth bags, we already had perfectly good alternatives such as reusing cardboard packaging as was the case before plastic bags, using paper bags and shopping trolleys, but recycable bags is just marketing, selling another supermarket product, I don't know how people can be foolish enough to be taken in by this. Butchers don't need to market meat in plastic containers this again is just marketing and taking the labour out of service
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2011, 06:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    recycable bags is just marketing, selling another supermarket product
    Job creation, or I'll make my own. (It's not real hard to make one. Even you could do it. Heck, bring some sturdy pillowcases to the store.)
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Jun 15, 2011, 06:16 PM

I think my cloth shopping bags are old enough to have predated plastic carriers lol. I even have a basket that my mother in law gave me that she bought about 70 years ago. I wash the cloth bags once or twice a year and occaisionally wave a duster round the basket. :o

What is called fashionably 'green' now - mend, re-use, recycle, just used to be called thrifty.
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2011, 06:29 PM
    Job creation, or I'll make my own. (It's not real hard to make one. Even you could do it. Heck, bring some sturdy pillowcases to the store.)
    No I don't need to do that as I said there are alternatives that don't require me to carry around packaging material
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2011, 06:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    No I don't need to do that as I said there are alternatives that don't require me to carry around packaging material
    How do you get the groceries into your house?
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2011, 07:17 PM
    How do you get the groceries into your house?
    Carry them, Look it's easy Place a cardboard box in the boot of your car and pack your items into that. Use the trolley to move them from the supermarket to your car. An number of things come with handles anyway such as fruit juice and some items are too big for bags anyway. I expect you haven't met with Aldi over there. They don't provide any packing assistance so you either use discarded cartons or refill your trolley, but the idea is sound (european) and less waste
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2011, 07:23 PM

Yup, we have Aldi's and shop there once a week at least.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another rift in the Climate Change ranks [ 11 Answers ]

It seems the idea that man can affect the outcome in dealing with climate change is rapidly coming apart, even the guy who started the idea of global warming says nothing will be achieved at Copenhagen because the approach is fundamentally flawed Global warming 'godfather' goes cold on...

Climate change causes political revolt [ 25 Answers ]

An impending vote on cap and trade legislation has caused a revolt in the Australian parliament which could spill leadership of the key opposition party as the government attempts to stitch up its position ahead of Copenhagen. Abbott to challenge Turnbull This revolt is led by climate change...

Climate change scam uncovered? [ 75 Answers ]

Someone has seemingly hacked emails from the University of East Anglia Climate Research Unit that appear to show a conspiracy to hide data that doesn't fit the climate change rhetoric. And yes, the director of the unit has said the emails seem to be genuine. Some samples: Hiding and...

EU Agrees Climate Change [ 95 Answers ]

Hello Today ahead of a meeting in Copenhagen it was agreed that the EU will fund the improvement of the newer states to help them bring into line their emissons News Sniffer - Revisionista 'EU strikes climate funding deal' diff viewer (2/3) The essence is the EU will offer some 100bn...

Climate change 'crisis' clearing up [ 25 Answers ]

With a hat tip to Walter Williams for the heads up, from Senator James Inhofe's blog... As Williams points out this is nothing new - but it is getting clearer that behind this whole climate change 'crisis' is an agenda to be furthered at all cost, much like the left's obsession with...

View more questions Search