Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    giggles29 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2011, 12:00 PM
    Comment on tickle's post
    I just wanted to find alternate place to bring my dog that was not as expensive as putting him to sleep which is expensive in my area a friend of mine had that done.. Thank you for your replies my question is over and I found a shelter that is going to take him . My dog was a great part of my family he will be missed..
    giggles29 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2011, 12:21 PM
    Comment on tickle's post
    Many many many people don't stay in the room when they are put down . Many people have to move and give there dogs away many people give there dogs and cats to shelters its happens everyday.. I have had my dog for a long time he lived a great life and will truly be missed .
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Jun 14, 2011, 01:38 PM
    "Righteous indignation" is what I think this question has evoked.

So you all have seen this scenario, in various forms, (which means 'not exactly this scenario') many times before, and have thus "made up your minds and just know what this person is saying and thinking and is otherwise 'all about'", based on volumes of prior experience? Wouldn't it be nice if you were treated similarly by your own vet or MD?

My unsolicited advice would be to treat every case as unique, at least until you have taken the time to
    Prove inconclusively that it isn't. By then the problem should be better understood, and we can go about giving advice that may be better than what could be gotten from a neighbor, over the back fence, rather than become distracted as we seem to be here.

Embarrassed by? Maybe I should have said 'embarrassed for' instead. Sort of like going to a banquet and someone at the party is variously and occasionally expelling gas at both ends, apparently unknowingly.

Just because the OP seems to have solved the problem doesn't mean we were any considerable help in bringing it about.

Contrary to what constitutes evidence hereabouts, this isn't my first Rodeo, either, just a different arena in a different 'town'. I know what it's like being the new kid on the block, as well as having to deal with one. The team that plays with the same players all the time never has the opportunity to see a new perspective, and consequently continues to play the same old game.

What I have found about righteous indignation is it's understandable to be righteous, but not always so to be indignant about it.

Having said that, I will close, and move on to the next question.

JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2011, 01:45 PM

Always a very painful experience - soon he will be running like the wind (again).

I have a very nice poem/prayer (not the usual Rainbow Bridge) which I will post if you would like to see it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 14, 2011, 03:22 PM

Paleophlatus, we read the question the way it was written, and we responded in kind. We can't do any more then that.

I gave alternatives, and hoped that the OP would find one that suited her.

I'm in the same boat right now. My 16 year old lab has been going downhill for a while now. We're at a standstill. I think it's time to put him down, and have thought so for over a year, but my husband doesn't. I cannot go against him, take our Indy to the vet behind his back. I know that he'd never forgive me, and I wouldn't blame him.

We've looked into the cost, and it's not cheap. The euathanasia is not that expensive, $160 is the lowest quote we've gotten. Disposing of the remains has been the cost that we've had to re-think. Most places charge over $300 for cremation. We'd like to keep the ashes, that's closer to $500. We thought about burying him in our yard. The bylaws state that the grave must be 7 feet deep. We hit 4 feet, got to clay, and now, without an auger, there's no way it's getting any deeper.

So we're stuck. Do we pay the $300 (the vet charges this much to dispose of the body) and not get his ashes, but still end up paying almost $500 (we both work full time, but we're on a tight budget), or do we hire an auger, get our Indy put to sleep, dig the hole, end up taking out part of our fence to get the auger in, and still end up paying up to $500.

There's no easy answer.

None of us have answered this question the way you seem to think we have. We have all answered it with only concern for the OP and her dog. That's all we can do.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 14, 2011, 06:00 PM

Giggles, I too just had to pay to have my 13 year old dog put down. Where I live, and I am sure it is the same where you live, you have to pay by weight. The more drug they use, the higher price you pay. We were given 3 options with his body. Take them with us, which they really frowned upon, gave us copies of the by-laws, where you can and can't bury a dead animal, how deep etc... they could cremate him and give us the remains, or they "dispose" of him, also fairly expensive.

HOWEVER, when I was 19 I adopted a much older dog, she was 13 when I got her and had numerous health issues. About 4 years later after many very expensive vets bills, I had to foot the cost of her euthanasia. I could barely afford the cost of that, I begged and pleaded for a deal, which seems morbid and horrible, but it needed to be done. I didn't end up getting the deal, and I think I paid close to $250 JUST for the euthanasia. I had no money for the disposal and living in a large city was not allowed to take the body with me. I left the body there. Like Judy said, it was what it was. They billed me, threatened to take me to collections for the cost of the disposal, but in the end, they just gave up.

Horrible story I know. I'm just trying to say, that I know how you feel, I have, like many others here, have been in your exact situation. There aren't many other options besides the ones that have been listed. I'm sorry you had to go the route you did, but you did what you needed to do and what you could afford to do. My sympathies for your loss.

Bella.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 14, 2011, 06:10 PM

Paleo, this is the wrong post to be saying this, but I am really insulted by your post. And I am tired of you saying things like this. You are basically saying we are cliquish and not welcoming to new comers. You have it totally wrong. We were all new once. Some people just come in with better attitudes than others. Some come in, acting like they know it all, disagree and insult constantly, and are just royal pains in the behind. We've all had our good and bad days, and knowing a lot of the members here personally, there is not one person I would ever consider insensitive or condescending. We are ALL huge animal lovers and only have the pets best interest in mind. Sometimes it takes being harsh and blunt to get the point across, but we aren't here to candy coat things, we're here to help the ANIMAL. Take us, or leave us, but please stop insulting the members! :(
    Pets Expert

Jun 14, 2011, 06:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Paleo, this is the wrong post to be saying this, but I am really insulted by your post. And I am tired of you saying things like this. You are basically saying we are cliquish and not welcoming to new comers. You have it totally wrong. We were all new once. Some people just come in with better attitudes than others. Some come in, acting like they know it all, disagree and insult constantly, and are just royal pains in the behind. We've all had our good and bad days, and knowing a lot of the members here personally, there is not one person I would ever consider insensitive or condescending. We are ALL huge animal lovers and only have the pets best interest in mind. Sometimes it takes being harsh and blunt to get the point across, but we aren't here to candy coat things, we're here to help the ANIMAL. Take us, or leave us, but please stop insulting the members!! :(
    I have to spread the rep!

Bravo! Standing ovation. Hopefully he'll finally realize why we're all here. Maybe he'll also realize that we do know what we're talking about.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 15, 2011, 03:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paleophlatus View Post

Embarrassed by? Maybe I should have said 'embarrassed for' instead. Sort of like going to a banquet and someone at the party is variously and occasionally expelling gas at both ends, apparently unknowingly.

LOL, first time I have read anyone comparing us to a bunch of old farts. You are really something else, paleo. It is a given that you are very knowledge, have a knack with words, but if you don't like our apparent 'indignation', and you are entitled to your own opinion, I would suggest you couch your responses in generic terminology. No one can take offence that way.

We have all been newcomers and quite frankly some of us have been through the ringer for our advice on any given topic, but still around to give more; in other words we bend and go with the flow, and willing to give anyone their 'day in court'.

Tick

Jun 15, 2011, 01:39 PM
    Comment on tickle's post
    Well, tick, since we seem fated to air this for all to see, judging by the reader count, here goes. It was your treatment of the OP in your initial two posts who started me off in a critical attitude. Others here were more civil in their comments. I am crediting you with more tolerance of peoples shortcomings in your other, professional work with the public, as you relate in your profile. I know how to conduct myself in these help site settings, this one being but little different than many others of similar format. Similar personal experiences
    Are the basis for most of the relevant opinions and advice given here, but I guess I buck a little when it's used as a reason to jump down someone's (the OP ) throat for not being able to handle their particular problem in an acceptable manner. Righteous indignation I called it. I saw it welling up in most of our answers. Nothing wrong with it, but (I appear to be out of space)

Jun 15, 2011, 02:12 PM
    Comment on tickle's post
    I simply justified the resulting answers to have been influenced by it. You suggest I couch my opinions in terms so bland that no one recognizes them. Why do that. What good is criticism if no one takes offense. Maybe some offense is needed to promote a little introspection? As to 'old farts'? Never mentioned age and I doubt I'm the youngest one here. I like you, tick, I think because you have a way of telling someone to go to hell and making them look forward to the trip. I think we could have good times here. I tried not to single anyone out in previous 'posts', but such was not to be the case, I guess.

Let me ask one question in closing, to everyone 'listening'. Does everyone involved in providing answers on site believe your deportment in responding to OPs is in the manner of professionalism and courtesy such that it reflects favorably on all other responders here on site, as well as AMHD ?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 15, 2011, 02:38 PM

Paleo, you didn't give me any option to highlight your particular comment I am referring to by using the comment feature. Would prefer you to use the reply feature which is more comprhensive and anyone can chime in.

Thanks, you would like one of my 'trips'. I do admit we have 'gut' reactions here, or 'shoot first ask questions later', but you must realize it is out of love for animals that we are like that. As for professionalism, you know we are all volunteers here, so I think that that question is a mute point. I am a professional in my field as you were, but now retired I gather?

I am on other boards and I think my professionalism shows up there, as do many others, i.e. Juidy K Tee for one.

Visceral reactions were where pets are concerned and I don't apologize for that. I just could not would not envision someone wanting an 'alternative' to having your pet put down because she couldn't afford it. As Shaz said, you go out and find the money no matter what. I haven't always had the money in the past, however I do now, to give my elder pet a good sendoff and I am always there no matter what. However, this is the not issue of your questions and my reply.

If you stick around, as I said, you will get used to us and then the 'unprofessionalism' in the 'pet board' will not seem so spontaneous. We all have heard some horrendous stories here, paleo, if I could send you back to read some, then I would be happy and you would be satisfied with what you have read in this thread, but I cant, I have another job to do which is calling.

Everyone here has good hearts, good intentions, and I know you aren't disputing that, just the general attitude towards people who can't cope.

As I said before, I am glad you are here with your knowledge and your input is much appreciated.

Tick

Jun 15, 2011, 03:16 PM
    Tick...

NOW you tell me... where were you when I needed you... (oh,. yea)

Well, If I had anything left to say, I would say it here, right, so people could throw bombs at it?

Maybe NEXT time
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2011, 03:21 PM

This is not helping the OP and should be closed. That having been said -

For someone who was moving on - you haven't moved on.

Read what I posted. You want to play games with words, you are welcome to do that. My objection was your criticizing of other members of this site. There is no need for you to apologize to anyone for anyone else's behavior. I thought I made that clear.

I guess I didn't.

If you want to play with words (and, yes, you are correct. No one else has posted that there 14 year old dog was falling down and they wanted a place to take care of it until it passed) over the word "similar," you are confusing (referring to yourself and other people who have responded) "young" and "juvenile."

As far as your passive aggressive stance, take it somewhere else. Try answers.com again.

Moderator!
    Pets Expert

Jun 15, 2011, 03:25 PM

Let me ask one question in closing, to everyone 'listening'. Does everyone involved in providing answers on site believe your deportment in responding to OPs is in the manner of professionalism and courtesy such that it reflects favorably on all other responders here on site, as well as AMHD ?
    Paleo, you have to understand that most of the frequent posters in the pet forum have been here a long time. We've seen people that had pets with maggots growing in a wound. Their treatment, pressure washing the wound. :mad: We've seen people that give bleach to their dog hoping it will cure parvo. :eek: We've seen people that have done unspeakable things. More often then not the pets threads are about people that won't spend the money on their very sick pet. After a while it gets to you.

I can only speak for myself. I give everyone on this site a chance. But, I go by their posts to determine my response. In this thread the OP was pretty clear that she was looking for alternatives to ending her dogs life, alternatives that wouldn't cost anything.

There really aren't any, other then a bullet to the brain and a clandestine burial in the backyard, not digging to the appropriate depth, and not notifying the county you live in that you're burying a body in your yard. Pet burial costs, in most places. And there are procedures that must be followed. I can bury my pet in the yard, for a fee of $20, and the grave must be 7 feet deep. Good luck without an auger. :(

There is no such thing as a free euthanasia, which is why some of us were upset about the question. Even relinquishing the dog to the shelter usually costs money. I've never seen a shelter that doesn't have a fee to relinquish. Ours is between $50 and $100 depending on the animal.

As for the clique you mentioned. You're very wrong. I have made friends on this site. Some have been here many more years then I have, others are very new. I can tell you one truth, and the people on this site that I know, can all tell you this is the truth. If I don't agree with something being posted, I'll tell you, friend or not. I'm not one to judge a post by who posts it, I judge by the post, and I don't mince words. If you're new and you give wonderful advice, you'll know about it. If you're new and you give horrible advice, I'll let you know. If I know you and you give horrible advice, you'll know about it, no matter how I feel about you.

As for airing this on this thread, well, you started it.:rolleyes:
    Pets Expert

Jun 15, 2011, 03:27 PM

This is not helping the OP and should be closed.
    I agree, and as such it will be closed.

If the OP wishes me to re-open it, she can PM me, or one of the moderators.

If anyone wants to discuss the issues presented here any further, start a thread in member discussions. :)

Thread closed.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2011, 03:52 PM

Yikes, well I missed all the fun and games, thanks for closing Alty.

I was probably too blunt in my post, and I do apologize for it, it's a tough time for the OP but given their second post on the thread I do hope/believe they understood why we reacted the way we did.

If I make a post that you think is out of line or too harsh then please feel free to tell me in a private message or use the report feature at the top of a post.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why dog walks with only one person [ 1 Answers ]

My small schnoodle will not go for a walk with anyone but me, why? He will plant his feet and pull if my husband tries to walk him. If I am with them, he is fine. Can anyone tell me what to do?

How to control my dog on walks? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a doberman. When I take her on walks she always walks right beside me but there are a few dogs in the same area that I pass by everyday, and she always jumps barks and acts wild. I have a prong collar since choke chains are of no use. But I pull and pull on the leash and she just whines and...

Dog Doesn't Like Walks [ 3 Answers ]

About a month ago my 2 year old Great Dane decided she didn't like going on walks anymore. She only goes outside to use the bathroom but will not go any farther, and after she is done doing her business she makes a beeline to come inside. I have lived in the same apartment complex since October...

My dog will not take walks! [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 15 week old min pin who will not take walks! He is a very active and social dog. When my boyfriend and I first got him, he would walk around outside a lot. Then, whenever I tried walking him on my own without my boyfriend, he would just sit there on the pavement! Wouldn't move. My...

My dog walks funny [ 5 Answers ]

Greetings again, I have an interesting problem that until today I haven't really had an issue with. That is that occasionally when we are out for a walk, my dog just stops and refuses to go farther. At first I thought it was because he was tired and didn't want to go any more. But sometimes this...

View more questions Search