Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brian Morse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 11:10 AM
    My Amana 80 High Efficiency Furnace
    Hello Everyone,

Can anybody tell me if my Amana 80 SSE furnace has a Thermalcouple? My furnace started cutting out last night and I started asking around and a couple people told me that's what might be the problem. Someone else told me that my type of furnace doesn't have a Thermalcouple, but it might be the Ignitor.

Please help,

Brian from Michigan -5 degrees
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 9, 2007, 01:59 PM
    You did not mention the age of your furnace but I doubt if it has a pilot light, no light then no thermalcouple. You probably do have an ignitor but that rarely causes a furnace to "cut out."
    Illinos -16 degrees
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2007, 03:45 PM
    Most of the 80% furnaces don't have a standing pilot light. Some of the older ones had a pilot that lit each heating cycle. Look at your gas valve. If your furnace had a pilot, it would have one large tube and what looked like 2 smaller tubes coming out and going to the burner. If so, the one smaller tube is actually the thermocouple. The other small tube supplies gas for the pilot, and is open on the end. The thermocouple has a fat end that is sealed.

More likely the problem is a flame sensor. Go to https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...tml#post269151 Cleaning the flame sensor should fix the problem. If not, browse around that sticky some more.
    AlstonDavis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2013, 12:29 PM
    I have same unit, cleaning sensor did not work, I had to replace the flame sensor to fix it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Amana furnace [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I am having so much trouble, trouble shooting my furnace, I have a Amana Furnace, I noticed that the Burner is not staying long enough for the heat to blow through the vent. This is my observation, once adjusted the temp desired in the thermostat, the burner on the furnace...

Poor Cooling - Goodman high efficiency [ 11 Answers ]

I have a two year old Goodman unit that does not cool properly. The suction line does not get cold - barely slightly cool. It is a 3-ton high efficiency unit with a 5-ton coil. The orifice size was changed from a 74 to a 73, which is now the recommended size. The pressures were 72 and 190 on a 90...

Amana furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I misplace the wiring diagram and installation manual for my Amana Furnace. Any chance someone, website may have a good source for that: Mod # GUCO70B40A, Serial # 9110104173, Mfg # P9114303F Suggestions for a fix would be appreciated also: Having problems starting. The igniter works fine...

Old Amana furnace needs new blower [ 7 Answers ]

Happy to be here. Two part question- I own an old Amana "Air Command" gas fired forced hot hir furnace. Model # GHE140DJ-4. It's circa 1979. Blower is 2-speed, capacity is listed @ 112000 BTU /hr. The fan would not come on during auto, but I managed to make it spin under "on" position by spinning...

High efficiency 5000 heat pump Tempstar [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out if anyone out there would have any idea where I could get a wiring diaghram for a Tempstar Heat pump Called High Efficiency 5000. I believe this is a older model, and there are many out since this one. But the unit is good and I would like to use it. Any suggestions??

View more questions Search