Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Momof2intx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2011, 09:07 PM
    How do I change my child's last name in Wisconsin?
    I currently live in Texas. My child was born in Wisconsin. Recently I got married to the biological father of the child. My question is what process do I have to go through without flying to WI to change her last name.

Thank you
    Newlywed
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 10, 2011, 03:42 AM

You need to go to Family court and ask for a name change, Since the bio father will, I assume, agree, this should be easy.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2011, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Momof2intx View Post
    I currently live in texas. My child was born in Wisconsin. Recently i got married to the biological father of the child. My question is what process do i have to go through without flying to WI to change her last name.

Thank you
    newlywed
    You wouldn't travel to change her name; Wisconsin requires that you be a resident in order to change your name in this state.

This link is for the Texas Department of State Health Services and specifically addresses changing a child's last name:
    Texas Vital Statistics ? Paternity Frequently Asked Questions
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 10, 2011, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You need to go to Family court and ask for a name change, Since the bio father will, I assume, agree, this should be easy.
    Actually, if the child is less than a year old, it might be easier to change the name on the Wisconsin Birth Cetificate. Look here.
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2011, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Actually, if the child is less than a year old, it might be easier to change the name on the Wisconsin Birth Cetificate. Look here.
    I already looked at that. The first thing it states under eligibility is:
    You must be a resident of Wisconsin.
    The parents are no longer residents of Wisconsin, as stated in the OP's question.

WI Statute 69.11 states that a birth certificate can be amended without a court order within the first year of the child's birth if the information submitted was incorrect or omitted at time of submission - that's not the case here. The child was (presumably) given the mother's maiden name; the mother has since married the biological father and now wants to change the child's last name to reflect the father's name.

But regardless, they are not WI residents. WI does not have jurisdiction.
    Expert

Jun 10, 2011, 01:46 PM
    Oops. Duplicate post. See the next one please.
    Expert

Jun 10, 2011, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    I already looked at that. The first thing it states under eligibility is:
    You must be a resident of Wisconsin.
    The parents are no longer residents of Wisconsin, as stated in the OP's question. ...
    Ah. But you are quoting what the Wisconsin Court System web site FAQ page says about a name-change petition. That clearly doesn't apply to a BC change through Wisconsin Vital Statistics Department.
    "...
    Eligibility
    You must be a resident of Wisconsin. The petition must be filed in the county of your residence.
    ..."

WI Statute 69.11 states that a birth certificate can be amended without a court order within the first year of the child's birth if the information submitted was incorrect or omitted at time of submission - that's not the case here. ...
    Strange. Seems to be inconsistent with this:
    "767.803
    767.803 Determination of marital children. If the father and mother of a nonmarital child enter into a lawful marriage or a marriage which appears and they believe is lawful, except where the parental rights of the mother were terminated before either of these circumstances, the child becomes a marital child, is entitled to a change in birth certificate under s. 69.15 (3) (b), and shall enjoy all of the rights and privileges of a marital child as if he or she had been born during the marriage of the parents. This section applies to all cases before, on, or after its effective date, but no estate already vested shall be divested by this section and ss. 765.05 to 765.24 and 852.05. The children of all marriages declared void under the law are nevertheless marital children."
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2011, 02:10 PM
    Ah. But you are quoting what the Wisconsin Court System web site FAQ page says about a name-change petition. That clearly doesn't apply to a BC change through Wisconsin Vital Statistics Department.
    "...
    Eligibility
    You must be a resident of Wisconsin. The petition must be filed in the county of your residence.
    ..."

Strange. Seems to be inconsistent with this:
    "767.803
    767.803 Determination of marital children. If the father and mother of a nonmarital child enter into a lawful marriage or a marriage which appears and they believe is lawful, except where the parental rights of the mother were terminated before either of these circumstances, the child becomes a marital child, is entitled to a change in birth certificate under s. 69.15 (3) (b), and shall enjoy all of the rights and privileges of a marital child as if he or she had been born during the marriage of the parents. This section applies to all cases before, on, or after its effective date, but no estate already vested shall be divested by this section and ss. 765.05 to 765.24 and 852.05. The children of all marriages declared void under the law are nevertheless marital children."
    And all of that might mean something if the parents were Wisconsin residents - which they are not.

Additionally, the statute you are quoting applies to changing the father's name on a birth certificate - not the child's name - in the incident that the father's name was omitted from the original application. So it's still wrong.
    Expert

Jun 10, 2011, 02:14 PM
    And all of that might mean something if the parents were Wisconsin residents - which they are not.
    *Sigh*

Please pay attention.
    They don't have to be residents to get their child's BC changed.

They only have to be Wisconsin residents if they want to petition, in Wisconsin courts, for a name change.

Suppose a couple in California want to adopt a child born in Wisconsin, and then get the BC changed. Do you seriously imagine they would be out-of-luck because they are not Wisc. Residents?
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2011, 02:15 PM
    *Sigh*

Please pay attention.

Only if they want to petition, in Wisconsin courts, for a name change.
    *sigh*

Try reading state statutes before you reference them.
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2011, 02:21 PM
    *Sigh*

Please pay attention.

They only have to be Wisconsin residents if they want to petition, in Wisconsin courts, for a name change.

Suppose a couple in California want to adopt a child born in Wisconsin, and then get the BC changed. Do you seriously imagine they would be out-of-luck because they are not Wisc. residents?
    Completely off-topic. This has nothing to do with adoption whatsoever. Both biological parents are still involved.

And you still haven't provided a statute to back up anything you've said.
    Expert

Jun 10, 2011, 02:32 PM
    Completely off-topic. This has nothing to do with adoption whatsoever. Both biological parents are still involved.

And you still haven't provided a statute to back up anything you've said.
    No. Your are quite right. This has nothing to do with adoption.

It has to do with "process [OP would] have to go through without flying to WI to change [the child's] last name". I am telling her that the easiest process might be to apply to the Wisconsin Vital Statistics Office for a birth certificate change, and not petitioning (in court) for a name change in, Texas, or anywhere else.

I can't provide a Wisconsin statute which discusses residency requirements for birth certificate changes.

BECAUSE THERE ISN'T ONE!

The notion that Wisc. Vital Stats doesn't have "jurisdiction" comes solely from your misreading of the FAQ.
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2011, 03:00 PM
    I can't provide a Wisconsin statute which discusses residency requirements for birth certificate changes.
    No, you can't provide a Wisconsin statute which answers the OP's question. Instead, you're making an assumption that her case falls under the 1-year exception, giving advice which can only be called "faulty" at best and quoting statutes which do not apply to the question. She asked about changing her child's last name; you referenced a statute which allows a husband/father's name to be added to the birth certificate.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 10, 2011, 05:01 PM

OK, enough! There has been no indication of the age of the child or how long they have been in Texas. So you are arguing over something that may not be applicable.

Based on what HAS been cited here, I would suggest that the OP contact the WI Bureau of Vital Statistics and see if they can amend the because since the bio parents are now married. If WI says no, then they should file in TX for a name change.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change child's last name [ 1 Answers ]

My baby is 17 mnths old I want to change his last name as he takes nuthing to do with him can I do this?

Change child's last name [ 1 Answers ]

How do I change my son last mame he has his mother last name my name in not in the birth certificate after he born she got married with an other boy so he has that man last name I did a dna test can that help me

Change child's name [ 1 Answers ]

If I have full custody of my child and his biodad does not ever have contact with him and my husband my child's stepdad wants to get his name changed to ours.. what do I need to do?

Change my child's last name [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old daughter who has her biological father's last name, although he did not sign the birth certificate no acknowledge paternity in the courts. He does not nor has he ever paid any child support. He has no contact what so ever with her. The only father she knows is my new husband...

How to Change child's last name [ 2 Answers ]

My son was born 5 years ago. His father wasn't there to sign the birth certificate. How can I change my son's last name to my married name and have my ex to sign over his rights? He doesn't see our son and our son has said on a number of times he doesn't want to see his biological father anymore....

View more questions Search