Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harvco1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Steps to add air to well water pressure holding tank
    My water tank is water logged and short cycling. I know I need to add air but I don't recall the exact steps and I don't want to damage the system. I think I have to turn off pump.. drain water until the tank is about half full and the air nozzle is above water level... use air pump to add air into tank... Is this correct and if so how much air should be added ( to what pressure )... if incorrect or incomplete.. what's missing or wrong?

Thanks
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2008, 06:08 PM

Depends. Harvco, is this a bladder tank or one of the old galvanized tanks? If it's a bladder tank, then you really need a new tank. The only way the tank can be waterlogged is if the bladder is ruptured. If it's a bladder tank, your air valve will be at the top. For the short term, you can turn off the system and allow water to drain through an outside faucet. Add air as the water drains, keeping pressure at ten pounds or so until the tank is practically empty. Then turn the system back on. Ideally, the tank will be about half full when the pump kicks off. It's kind of hard to mess this up.

Now, if you have a galvanized tank, the air valve will be on the side, about halfway or so up the side. If this tank is waterlogged, then your system has problems. Let us know if that is the case. I don't want to write that much unless it is needed.
    igorman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2010, 09:08 PM

I have a gavanized that is waterlogged.how do I get it back in working order?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 13, 2010, 04:23 AM

Assuming you have a drain valve on the tank or the pump line, turn pump off, open drain valve, open cold water faucet, drain tank of all water. When tank is completely drained of all water, close drain valve and faucet, turn pump on.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 13, 2010, 06:43 AM

The widget maker nailed it. Recharging a pressure tank is easy, Simply drain the water out of the tank and you're recharged. Good luck, Tom
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2010, 09:05 AM

Igor, bear in mind that many galvanized tanks are part of a system is designed to recharge the tank every time the pump cuts on. If your tank is like that, you will see an air release valve about halfway up on the side of the tank. It's purpose is to prevent the tank from simply filling with air. If you have that, then it is likely your system is not functioning properly, which means you will have to recharge your tank regularly. That can (speaking from personal experience) be a pain, and it is also a detriment to your pump as it will cycle much more frequently than it should have to.
    Firefighteremt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2011, 06:29 AM
    I was using a hose and my pressure dropped to 0 I shut the water off let it be but now I can only get my pressure to ten what should I do
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2011, 08:59 AM

Three questions:

1. Is your pump above ground or in the well?

2. If it is above ground, how many pipes go into the well, one or two?

3. Is the pump continuing to run, or does it shut off when it gets to 10#?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water heater as a holding tank for furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I frequently run out of hot water in the shower. I have a furnace that heats the water directly. My question is; Can I use a hot water heater as a holding tank, so I don't run out of hot water? If so what do I need to complete this task?

Loss of water pressure w/new pressure tank [ 8 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I have a question involving my plumbing. I was having terrible water pressure and I checked the pressure at the pump itself and it was great. Went to the pressure tank and it was trickling. Shut down power to pump and drained system - checked air pressure and it was not...

Bathroom water pressure vey poor from cold water storage tank [ 1 Answers ]

Bathroom toilet is very slow to fill up also cold water tap in bathroom when turned on has little or no water coming out of it.can you reply staight away please.

Water pressure against tank height and tank water capacity [ 5 Answers ]

Normally the head pressure of water is .433 pounds per foot of head. Is there any change in pressure by changing the tank water capacity. e.g. if two tanks of 50ft height having water capacity of one is 10,000 gallons and other one has 20,000 gallons. What will be the water pressure difference...

How much water should be in the holding tank of a well? [ 5 Answers ]

I live in the oldest house in the world - 1861. From what I can tell the plumping was put into the house in the 1950s but I assume the well has been there since forever. Anyhow - we have had a lot of issues over the past 20 years that we lived there. We had a plumber out that pulled the pipes...

View more questions Search