Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2011, 05:42 AM
    Term Limits
    Hello:

Washington is broken... In the face of our decline, and the emergence of China, our leaders can't see beyond the next election. They're SOLE intent is to gain power and get reelected - not to fix anything...

Term Limits would remedy that. Who, besides the congressmen themselves, would be against that? Smoothy?

excon
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2011, 06:05 AM
    By all means Ex put a limit on mediocracy, while you are at it limit the tenue of the public service, you keep recycling the same people through various administrations with the result that nothing gets changed

I suggested in another thread that your terms for representatives is also too short, you are never out of election mode. Align them with the presidential elections and they all sink or swin together, then the Senate will have to do its real job.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2011, 06:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    By all means Ex put a limit on mediocracy, you are never out of election mode.
    Hello clete:

I really have no idea what you're saying, but I rarely understand you anyway.

You are right about always being in election mode... That's actually the whole reason WHY we should instigate term limits. If a congressmen CAN'T be elected after his present term is up, he will NEVER be in election mode. With nothing ELSE to do, hopefully, he'll do the nations business.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 6, 2011, 06:42 AM

The trouble is that alost everyone is for it ( except) when it is their politial person who is in power

My congressman who brings home all the pork is great, the one from the other state who does it, is bad.

But yes, one or two terms at best and some control on total spending allowed for advertising
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2011, 06:54 AM

I used to be against them. Now I'm for them and favor amendments to make it so.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2011, 06:57 AM

Term limits, a fair or flat tax, welfare reform, I'm for lots of things that ain't never going to happen. But it's nice to see you admit that they're all in it to win it and not fix anything.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2011, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello clete:

I really have no idea what you're saying, but I rarely understand you anyway.

excon
    It is very simple Ex and not beyond you. Let me try to simplify it for you. Because your representatives are elected every two years which is a short period, they are ineffective because they are tied to the electoral cycle and forever have to be looking to the next election and what the electorate thinks about them. They cannot see the bigger picture and take a long term view.

Your President, on the other hand, has some breaving space, perhaps two years, in which to get things done before he is back electioneering for his second term. Tie the terms of representatives to the term of the President and then they all face election at the same time. I would expect you would see the reps taking a very different view of things

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the long term and short term effects of credit and debt [ 2 Answers ]

What are the long term and short term effects of credit and debt?

Short term vs long term capital gains, loss carryovers [ 4 Answers ]

Back in 2000 and 2001, I had short term capital losses that exceeded the 3000 dollar limit. Each year, I've been able to deduct 3000 dollars since my short term gains have been minimal. I still haven't used up all my 2000 and 2001 short term losses. I had some long term gains in 2000, but...

What are the long term and short term effects of credit and debt? [ 1 Answers ]

What are the long term and short term effects of credit and debt?

Accounting for Long Term and Short Term Cap Gains [ 2 Answers ]

How do I properly account for Long Term and Short Term Capital Gains from investments (stocks and bonds)? I am unsure of which account to use and the proper treatment on the financial statements. We (the Company) have not been involved in investing much until this year. Feel free to assume I know...

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why? [ 4 Answers ]

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why?

View more questions Search