Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stuckless1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2009, 05:51 PM
    Father's rights to an unborn baby
    I have just been recently informed that I am going to be a dad, and I love the thought of it. I was just wondering about my rights with regards to the status of the unborn child.. for example... What are my rights with regards to check up visits? I want to be a part of everything with regards to the child... am I allowed to be there for the ultrasound and general check ups? Because I would like to be included in all aspects of the baby.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 05:59 PM

Until the child is born, you are allowed to do whatever the child's mother allows you to do.

You don't have a right to be at her appointments, or even in the delivery room if she doesn't want you to.
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Jun 7, 2009, 09:24 AM

Does she not want you around? She has that right until you are the baby's legal father.
    babwgreen123 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2009, 06:32 PM

Hi I'm sorry to say you have no rights till the child is born the mother doesn't have to take you to check ups or let you no the sex of the babe or even see her but if that is a problem for you and the mother of the child to be then you can go see a laywer when the child is born and if your name is on the brith cef you have rights though but if you to anit together when the child is born she has more rights then u
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 8, 2009, 07:07 PM

I am sorry babwgreen123, this is a legal forum and we pride ourselves with professionals who work in the legal profession or work within many other professions such as real estate or insurance and more.

While we know all want to help, if you are not aware of the legal aspects of a question, please do not post in the legal sections.
    Jenna0519 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2011, 11:36 PM
    I just found out even though the child's unborn the father has rights no matter what
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jun 3, 2011, 05:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna0519 View Post
    i just found out even though the childs unborn the father has rights no matter what
    Congratulations!
    You re-opened a case which was posted many years ago!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 3, 2011, 06:51 AM
    i just found out even though the childs unborn the father has rights no matter what
    Quote Originally Posted by GV70 View Post
    Congratulations!
    You re-opened a case which was posted many years ago!
    And with totally incorrect information to boot.

Jenna, who told you this (as far as I know) incorrect information?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2011, 06:58 AM

You found out wrong. Your blanket statement is not true.
    CrystalM35 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2011, 06:23 PM
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_rights_does_a_father_have_to_an_unborn_child

United States

In the case of Planned Parenthood of Central Missouri v. Danforth, 428 U.S. 52, 96 S. Ct. 2831, 49 L. Ed. 2d 788 (1976), the Supreme Court of the United States upheld the right to have an abortion, striking the state's requirements of parental consent for minors and spousal consent for married women.

This is a matter of privacy since a fetus cannot be separated from a woman's body.

A father must establish his paternity after the birth through DNA testing that can be arranged through court in order to establish parental rights.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2011, 06:35 AM
    Why are people flocking to a June 2008 thread and quoting another site (without giving credit to the actual writer of the answer)?

Time to close!

Another case of sign on, post this, sign off -?
    mattems1991 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2012, 01:27 PM
    Quick question: if the mother and father are not together anymore and the mother doesn't want the father included in her life for anything, how will he know when the baby is born? Is the mother supposed to let him know when the baby is out since that is when his rights kick in. is she supposed to let him know right away when the baby is out or can she wait a few hours or what?
    Thanks
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 5, 2012, 01:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mattems1991 View Post
    quick question: if the mother and father are not together anymore and the mother doesnt want the father included in her life for anything, how will he know when the baby is born?? is the mother supposed to let him know when the baby is out since that is when his rights kick in. is she supposed to let him know right away when the baby is out or can she wait a few hours or what?
    thanks
    Quick answer: putative father registry (if there is one in your state).

The mother is not required to give him any notice. He is only entitled to notice if she seeks an order that he pay child support, or if an adoption is in the works.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does He have any rights to our unborn baby? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 19 years old, and I'm 20 weeks pregnant. The father and I aren't married, and we never were. He left when I was eight weeks pregnant, so for three months my parents have been helping me out, buying baby equipment and clothes and generally helping me through the 'sickness' period. Now the father...

A father's rights of an unborn [ 6 Answers ]

Im 16 years old and my ex-girlfriend wants to give our baby up for adoption. Is there any thing I can do to get custody of our baby so she can't give it up for adoption?

How does father's METH use affect unborn baby [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is pregnant she dosen't use Meth but I just found out her boyfriend does... He's lost weight, anger outburts & sleeps a lot... I want to know how will his use affect my daughter's unborn baby... I've tried using the internet but only found answers if mother is a user...

Fathers rights of unborn baby [ 4 Answers ]

My brothers girlfriend found out she was pregnant a couple of months ago. A week after they told me, his girlfriend told me there is a chance the baby might not be his. My brother was not mad because he said they both were seeing other people.But they decided to be together so they can raise the...

Is there any way to get my unborn baby's father's rights taken away? [ 5 Answers ]

I was in a relationship with a guy for a mere 5 months. Towards the end of the 5 months, I saw things I would consider child abuse. He would smack his 3 year old niece for not calling him "sir." One day he was actually bragging about hitting his 4 year old cousin (when he was about 19 years old) so...

View more questions Search