Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcmcdougall Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2011, 10:41 AM
    Black sediment with hot well water?
    Hello,
    Yesterday I went to give my kids a bath and the shower water was rust colored (Not too unusual, we usually run it clear and it's fine), and then we lost all water. I checked every water source in the house, same thing. We have well water, and a brand new oil furnace with an on demand tankless water heater. My husband took off the screens to one of the faucets and out gushed this brown muddy substance and then a lot of this black sediment. If I were to guess it feels like fine charcoal, and when you rub it between your fingers it stains. He proceeded to do this to ever water source, and all had the same result. Today each time I turn on a faucet we are getting more black sediment, water pressure isn't great, I am guessing as a result of this issue. I saw other posts where people have suggested anodes, and braided pipe. This substance isn't oily though, and would we still have an anode on a tankless system? Any information would be helpful, I am not so concerned about the stuff making anyone sick as I am that this is the start to a much bigger issue? Any information would be great! Thank you for your time. :)
    rjh2o Posts: 58, Reputation: 13

May 30, 2011, 04:45 AM
    You have a well problem. Run an outside spigot into a bucket to see what is coming from the well. The black sediment could be sand. Mixed with manganese. You need a well man ASAP.
    You also need a water treatment system. Manufacturers of tankless water heaters recommend water treatment when applying a TWH on well water to remove hardness, iron, manganese, etc from the water. Tankless water heaters are highly efficient and consequently it is imperative to feed them with quality water or they loose their efficiency and have a very short life span.
    Sediment coming from the well in this amount generally indicates a failed screen on well point or a hole in the casing of the well.
    RJ
    Attached Images

jcmcdougall Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2011, 05:16 PM
    Comment on rjh2o's post
    Thank you so much for your input! We are getting it looked at. The diagram was also very helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black coming through hot water line in hot tub [ 2 Answers ]

When using my hot tub, black silt or something comes in on the hot water side. I am not on a well. I have not noticed it anywhere else in the house.

My Kenmore Coldspot has sediment in the water coming out of water dispenser. [ 0 Answers ]

My Kenmore Coldspot has sediment in the water coming out of water dispenser. Ice does not have any residue probably because ice dispenser is supplied by separate tube at the back of the refrigerator. I have installed a new filter and drain 8 gallons of water but the residue still is there. The...

Black sediment in kettle [ 1 Answers ]

The black bits left behind in my kettle look awful. What are they

Black bits in hot water! [ 19 Answers ]

When we turn on the hot water in our kitchen sink, little black particles come out! It only happens in the kitchen faucet so we are guessing it's not the hot water tank. My husband already looking at the o-rings under the sink and all look good, not stripped or anything (and one of them is...

Hot Water Sediment Solution Needed [ 7 Answers ]

I have a hot water sediment problem. A new water heater (American brand) was installed in 2002. Gradually thereafter, an aqua, somewhat gritty gel began accumulating on the washing machine water valve inlet screen (hot water only), and screen would quickly clog. This became such a problem, I...

View more questions Search