Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laura10109 Posts: 61, Reputation: -3

May 28, 2011, 01:14 PM
    BIG BANG?
    I know I'm a christian and I believe that g-d made the world but I imagain as if the world itself made is self if so HOw did it make it self? Why? Whatever for?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 28, 2011, 01:21 PM

What? Why is this posted under Astronomy?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 28, 2011, 02:17 PM

Christians believe God made the world. He may have used evolution or He may have used the Big Bang idea or He may have made the world some other way. Some Christians believe He made the world around 6,000-7,000 years ago; others believe it happened millions and billions of years ago.

Now, why did God create the world?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 28, 2011, 02:26 PM

God made it, he spoke and it came into existence.

How he had it made only he knows
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

May 28, 2011, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by laura10109 View Post
    I know im a christian and i belive that g-d made the world but i imagain as if the world itself made is self if so HOw did it make it self? why? whatever for?

Hi Laura

It is probably worth keeping in mind that the Big Bang is now only one of a number of competing theories for the beginning of the universe. These other theories incorporate what might be termed, 'Big Bang like events'.

Science is very good at telling us how the universe evolved into stars, galaxies and planets. However, science does not investigate what might be termed, 'first cause arguments'. Your statement seems to confuse first cause and function. We need to keep these explanations apart when doing science.

Tut
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2011, 09:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    God made it, he spoke and it came into existence.

How he had it made only he knows
    Hardly factual.

It wouldn't let me give you a not-helpful (which this comment deserves) under the rules, so this will have to do.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 31, 2011, 07:08 AM

Laura:

You asked: How did the world make itself? I think Tut's answer is a good start. The mechanism of star and planet formation is a very actrive area of study by astronomers and physicists. If you're interested in details regarding current theories, post back and I can point you to some good resources on the web.

You also asked: "why? whatever for?" That is not a question for scientists. We can only talk about "what"; in science there is no "why."
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 31, 2011, 07:22 AM
    Why is this in Astronomy??
    Uber Member

May 31, 2011, 10:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Why is this in Astronomy???

Thanks for repeating my post in case anyone missed it.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 31, 2011, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Thanks for repeating my post in case anyone missed it.
    They have missed it, it hasn't been moved. :confused:
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 31, 2011, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Why is this in Astronomy???
    I reported it last night. *sigh*
    Uber Member

May 31, 2011, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I reported it last night. *sigh*

And I reported it the same day it was posted. Was that yesterday? The days are flashing by.
    Expert

May 31, 2011, 12:32 PM

I don't see what the problem is - the OP asked how the earth came to be, which is a perfectly valid question to ask in a science forum. The only problem is that some of the responses (Wondergirl, Fr_Chuck) were not appropriate as answers in a science forum.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 31, 2011, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    I don't see what the problem is - the OP asked how the earth came to be, which is a perfectly valid question to ask in a science forum.
    The problem is, it is not a question about stars; it is a question about how the world began. There are more appropriate science categories for that question -- and, since she mentioned God, it might fit well in Christianity.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2011, 12:42 PM
    The problem is, it is not a question about stars; it is a question about how the world began. There are more appropriate science categories for that question -- and, since she mentioned God, it might fit well in Christianity.
    I'm sure many questions can fit into more than one category, but a question about the Big Bang certainly fits into astronomy.
    Expert

May 31, 2011, 12:48 PM
    The problem is, it is not a question about stars; it is a question about how the world began. There are more appropriate science categories for that question
    The OP asked about the earth (although the title was "Big Bang"). The only other category that is close would be geology. There is no "earth science" forum here. So I don't see any more approriate science forum than astronomy - it's a branch of science that encompasses cosmology (including the Big Bang) and planetary science (including the study of planet formation mechanisms, for the earth and other planets).

-- and, since she mentioned God, it might fit well in Christianity.
    I interpreted her post as being along the lines of "I believe that God created the world, but I'm asking in a science forum if you leave God out (the world made itself, in her words) then how was the earth created." I find that perfectly OK.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 31, 2011, 01:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    The OP asked about the earth (although the title was "Big Bang"). The only other category that is close would be geology.
    Since the OP is only ten years old, I thought Science for Children would be a good board for this question.

May 31, 2011, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    I'm sure many questions can fit into more than one category, but a question about the Big Bang certainly fits into astronomy.
    It is a cosmological question, or a type of cosmology. As there is no cosmology section I guess astronomy is probably a good starting point. Philosophy would be another.

Cosmological questions about the nature of the universe have in the past attempted to include metaphysical explanations. Today, metaphysical explanations tend to to put to one side by cosmologists because of more attractive theories when it comes to the origins of the universe, e.g. String Theory.

Tut

P.S. How does one explain cosmology to a 10 year old?
    Uber Member

May 31, 2011, 04:56 PM

She didn't ask about the Big Bang theory or any other theory. I think that concept is beyond a 10-year old.

She asked if the World made itself, how and why. The Big Bang explanation came later.

May 31, 2011, 09:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    She didn't ask about the Big Bang theory or any other theory. I think that concept is beyond a 10-year old.

She asked if the World made itself, how and why. The Big Bang explanation came later.

Unfortunately, if one is asking for a scientific explanation then this necessarily involves some type of theoretical explanation.

Tut

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Big Bang [ 6 Answers ]

If the Big Bang was as described, how come the Univese is homogenous. Why are the galazies and other matter not formed in the shape of a hollow sphere, much like the remnant of a supernova, (minus the stellar remnant at the centre)? The only explanation I can imagine is that the Big Bang was not an...

The big bang [ 5 Answers ]

I find it brain exploding as to what the universe is about. Sure, the God illusion is the easy way to explain it. But what is really going on? The shere size of the universe is mind boggling. How did this originate? How did we come to be? God is a very weak explanation. For those who understand...

Re-creating The Big Bang [ 5 Answers ]

Morning All! Has anyone else been following this story about the CERN Lab in Switzerland / France? BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Cern lab set for beam milestone I love it when scientists mess around with stuff and they don't REALLY know what's going to happen... especially when they're...

Big Bang [ 7 Answers ]

What proof is there that the universe began from a big bang I know it's expanding but what else?

Big bang [ 2 Answers ]

Why does my furnace puff loudly when first ignighting? It's a natural gas Hydro Therm with two burners. The pilot seems to be resting close to the primary burner? Help My furnace seems to let out a loud pop when ignighting it's a natural gas two burner Hydro Therm pilot seems to be close to...

View more questions Search