Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Crysi Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2008, 09:29 AM
    Is periodontal disease contagious?
    My boyfriend has periodontal disease. I recently noticed that sometimes when I don't floss for a time my gums bleed a little. Is that normal or is this disease contagious? :( My wisdom teeth are now emerging, so there is no pain to them as yet! Could they be the cause of the gum changes? Anyone knows?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2008, 10:06 AM
    It will only be contagious if you neglect your own dental hygene, as you mentioned.

It is not his condition that caused your gums to bleed, it is your lack of attention to taking care of your own mouth.

"when I don't floss for a time".

That is the issue.
    drsam Posts: 49, Reputation: 3

Apr 14, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Crysi can you be a little more elabrorative about what's the condition of his gums,whether he feels weak,feverish,tired,or his teeth are mobile etc etc because there are and number of periodontal diseases...

Apr 14, 2008, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by drsam
    crysi can you be a little more elabrorative bout whats the condition of his gums,whether he feels weak,feverish,tired,or his teeth are mobile etc etc coz there are n number of periodontal diseases........
    Yes, he feels weak when he doesn't eat and is underweight..
    But what is the difference?? :confused:
    R there other symptoms?

Apr 14, 2008, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Crysi
    Yes, he feels weak when he does'nt eat and is underweight..
    But what is the difference???:confused:
    R there other symptoms?
    I think every one does feel weak when one doesn't eat... what I mean to say that even if he is taking good food does he feel weak feverish... and most of all what is he telling you about his condition...

Apr 14, 2008, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by drsam
    i think every one does feel weak when one doesnt eat ..........what i mean to say that even if he is taking good food does he feel weak feverish .........................and most of all what is he telling you bout his condition .............
    No he doesn't feel weak and feverish.. He doesn't really say much on it, he's kind of embarrassed by it... but he doesn't really take care of it as he should though.
    I only know that it bleeds on occasion, he recently tried Sensodyne sensitivity toothpaste and when he came home he claimed they bleed "all day"... (sorry if I gross you out)

Apr 14, 2008, 12:38 PM
    If there is bleeding then its more of a gingival problem than a perio. One as you have mentioned before,and bleeding can be there because of simple things like faulty tooth brushing,or when your toothbrush have worn out,or it may be due to lot of calculus deposit... but in any case it is really difficult to say anything without seeing him... so better see a dentist... and don't worry every thing will be fine...
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2008, 04:44 PM
    A dentist can check your gums with a meter and see just how far they have receded. I am the proud (not really) sufferer of peridontial disease. I had to have my entire mouth rotorootered (for want of a better word - actually there is a fancy dental term) and it cost me a fortune to put it mildly. It hurt like having your arm cut off for about a week and then got better. Could not eat much after the procedure. I have retained a lot of my teeth since this procedure but my dentist told me the truth about how my teeth roots under the gumline would be a problem causing me to lose some teeth in a domino effect. Sure enough that happened. The longer you procrastinate the worse it will get. Peridontal disease is a silent disease that comes from mouth bacteria getting down in the gums and causing havoc with the roots of the teeth. The gums essentially recede from the teeth and the teeth get loose. Having the gums scraped helps to remove the built up stuff under the gum line. Please see your dentist for a professional opinion on your dental health and your bf's dental health. There is no fancy short cut or trick here, sorry.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2008, 06:10 PM
    Answer to your question: If your boyfriend has periodontal disease and it is left untreated, yes, you can be affected by it.

It is not uncommon for the healthy partner of someone with periodontal disease (which gingivitis is also) to also contract the disease. This is done by something as simple as toothbrushes being stored together in a cup where they can be touching each other, or via kissing where saliva (the carrier of the bacteria) is transferred from one partner to the other.

As a hygienist I see unmarried patients who previously had healthy mouths start to appear at appointments with signs of gum disease which is out of character for them. If after reviewing medical history and home care I will ask if there is someone new in their lives. Most times there is. I suggest that their partner be seen for a professional cleaning if they haven't seen a hygienist in some time.

I sometimes have to treat husbands and wives if one of them is not responding to dental hygiene therapy. Once both have been treated (preferrably within the same week) the disease is easier to control.

Of course, excellent home care is the key for both of you.

Periodontal disease is a serious condition and should not be taken lightly. Recent studies show there are links to heart conditions, respiratory conditions, pre-term low weight babies and problems with diabetes.
    MAT34119 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2010, 09:50 AM
    Hope it is not too late to answer you..
    I have been diagnosticed with gum disease more than 3 years ago...
    I hesitated after scaling and rooting and all those deep cleaning to go further with "butchering"
    I am happy I find a French canadian Dentist who dedicated his life to the periodontal disease...
    Unfortunetly his site and book are all in French... but here is one of the link about the disease... and THE BUGS in your mouth...
    It is not BACTERIA who are the cause of gum disease...
    http://www.oralhealthbible.com/Oral-Systemic-Connection.htm
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2010, 02:08 PM
    The "bugs" ARE bacteria!
    Lizzielouise Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2011, 05:35 AM
    I have swollen tender gums and bad breath, last night I decided to visit my boyfriend..
    Now I think he may have caught whatever infection I have, I feel so so bad I don't know what to say..
    I feel so embarrassed. I brush my teeth regularly and floss and I still get dental infection

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is pneumonia contagious? [ 1 Answers ]

Is pneumonia contagious?

Is it a disease? [ 6 Answers ]

My friend can't eat a thing and when his eats it goes out. His smokes and drinks. What can be the problem? Is it a disease? What are the signs of an hiv disease?:confused:

Is this a Disease [ 1 Answers ]

Pimpels black heads on my cack how do u get rid of

What is my disease ? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a young man of 27 years old。From childhood I was shame Personality.I used to avoid people and places .I used to be so nervous While Talking with people .I always used to seek company of my friends to go School , market .I used to feel safe in company of other people. I couldn't change...

Earmites contagious? [ 5 Answers ]

I previously had 2 Lhasa Apsos who had terrible problems with ear mites. They grew really old and had to be put to sleep. I got a my new puppy right before they were put to sleep. They met once, for a brief minute and never touched... (As you probably remember) I've had her around 3 weeks. She's...

View more questions Search