Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SuzieQfromtheUK Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2011, 03:23 PM
    Custody of an unborn child to the father?
    I am a potential Grandmother of a young son whom may have gotten a woman pregnant. My son wants "custody" of this unborn child when it is born sometime in the fall. What are his chances of child custody? He is currently living in Virginia and wants to relocate out of the state once the child is born... The woman has two children already that receive SSI checks and are in diapers,- ages two and three. Any legal advice or help/ideas. Perhaps similar situation.

JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 30, 2011, 03:29 PM

First he waits until the child is born; then he goes to Court and requests DNA testing to prove that he's the father; if he is the father he then goes to Court PROVES the mother is unfit to raise the child and is awarded custody. Only he knows the exact circumstances. A woman raising 2 other children on SSI is not necessarily unfit.

He can address "moving out of State" in the same Court petition. I would venture an informed guess that the mother WILL be awarded visitation if he is awarded custody. If she's on SSI her financial means are strapped. He would have to pay to have her visit with the child. I very much doubt she will lose custody and all visitation rights.

He will, of course, be ordered to pay child support if he is the father and is not awarded custody.

When he was having unprotected sex with her did he realize she had two children (ages 2 and 3) and was on SSI?
    SuzieQfromtheUK Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2011, 03:42 PM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    Thanks for the advice. The children were premature babies and are currently on SSI since birth. He knew she had children but did not fully know the whole story. She wants a girl and told him she will fight for the girl, however, will give him the unborn, if it is a boy! My son wants the child regardless of the sex...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 30, 2011, 03:50 PM

First, when posting a follow-up question or info, please use the Answer options at the bottom of the page rather than the Comments.

While courts are being more liberal about awarding custody to fathers, its still not common. To get custody of an infant and then move that infant away from it's mother will be even harder.

He needs to hire a Family law attorney who is familiar with the local courts and can give him advice on the best strategy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the father of my unborn child get 50% custody if I want primary custody? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 4 months pregnant and the father of the child and I are no longer together. For personal reasons I want to give the child my last name, not his. He says he can CHANGE the baby's last name once a paternity test is done. Is that correct? Also, I want primary custody and would agree to give him...

Can father of my unborn child receive custody or visitation rights after child is bor [ 5 Answers ]

I am pregnant and the babies father is going after custody or visitation when the child is born. He is very abusive and does have a violent record from the past. He is been making many threats towards me and my unborn child. He has even stated that once he has the child in his hands he stated that...

Father getting custodial custody of unborn child [ 5 Answers ]

I am about to become a first time father, and the woman and I are not together anymore. I have not been abusive to her as she claims. She and I are not able to be in a relationship due to her physical abuse to me YES physical abuse. She drinks until the point of rage and anger, she uses cocaine...

I want to give custody of my unborn child to the father before the child is born [ 2 Answers ]

I am pregnant and wish to give custody to the father before the child is born

View more questions Search