Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steve1932 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Price Pfister shower balance valve leaks
    Help, my Price Pfister shower pressure balance valve leaks up through the shower head when turned off. I replaced the cartridge and it still leaks. It almost stops leaking right after a shower, but over a couple hours it drips about once every second. If I turn on another faucet in the house (lowering pressure), it starts streaming out the shower head. I have taken the new cartridge out and sanded the back of the copper housing at the o-rings (D-rings?) where the water comes into the housing. I started with 320 grit and then used 600 grit. The front chrome plated part that turns with the handle seemed to be smooth and flat so it could seal with the front o-rings. I also used some AmourAll (silicone) on the o-rings. I put it all back together and still have the problem. Is it possible there is some microscopic corrosion/surface uneveness that stops the rubber from sealing? Do I have any options other than tearing out the tile and replacing the whole valve?

The cartridge can be seen at http://209.203.224.14/catalog/SinLever.pdf
    Model 0-2085 OEM 974-491

Steve
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2007, 07:32 PM
    It's possible you may have worsened the problem by sanding the valve body.

Try replacing the cartridge again -- If this doesn't solve the problem, then replacing the entire valve may be your only option.
    steve1932 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2007, 07:27 PM
    I went to the good local hardware store where I bought the cartridge and asked them if plumbers grease or anything else would help. They didn't think so, but asked about the condition of the front chrome plated part that contact the front o-rings. I told them I thought it was pretty smooth. To my surprise, they carried the replacement for this (front section that screws onto housing, holding the cartridge in). When I got it home, I realized it was not an exact replacement (slightly different model #?) and would not really work for me, but I could put it on to see if it would leak. And it did leak. I then looked more closely at my original chrome plated part and did see some circular wear marks at the seal contact location (some debris created scratches?). I started sanding the scratches with 320 grit wet, then 600, then 1000. Put it back together and it seems to be practically leak free. Still seems to be a little leaking when water pressure is reduced. Some of the chrome finish came off when I sanded. I don't want to sand too much because I'm afraid that will greatly reduce the life of the o-rings. But it's nice to know I can get a replacement chrome piece (I think).

Steve

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Single price pfister stem valve [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Single turn knob for my shower made By Price Pfister. The valve needs replacing. Removing the knob and un-screwing the metal Circular cylinder, I’m left with the stem valve. From the front, It is circular with two tabs, one On top and bottom. With a screw driver from the Back tabs,...

Price Pfister shower [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a price pfister shower kit and it did not have an installation manual. They are closed today and their website does not have manuals on it. I just need to know how to install the valve. Can some one direct me to a site that will give me that info?

Price Pfister New Installation [ 2 Answers ]

New construction - shower stall only, no tub. Price Pfister single handle control for shower. Not enough hot water as shower is cool, not warm or hot. Plumber was fired for other stupid stunts but now I need to warm up shower water temperature. Does Price Pfister have valve that is adjustable in...

Tub/ shower leaking. Price Pfister valve question. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! We have an old Price Pfister Tub and shower faucet. It has been dripping for some time now and I would like to replace the whole thing with something newer anyway. If at all possible I would like to do it myself. I have been doing some research and have found that the new OX8 valves have a...

Price pfister [ 2 Answers ]

Recently installed 1 knob shower faucet made by price pister . Problem here is the tub spout has plenty of flow but when you pull the knob for the shower the pressure isn't that strong . Any ideas on how to get more pressure from shower. Thanks for any info, Ryan p.s. I used 1/2 copper

View more questions Search