Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

May 29, 2008, 05:51 AM
    Berries bushes in Florida
    I wonder what kind of berrie bush that would grow in hot south Florida.
    Zone 10. I don't know if blue berries or black berries would grow
    In this heat?? I know I have tried mulberry that required stratification which was a pain.
    And they still did not grow.
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

May 29, 2008, 09:21 AM
    Oniel I think you could get either one to grow check the web sites and see what you think
    I am partial to black berries myself.

Types of Blueberries - Blueberry Varieties

Blackberries - growing Blackberries - how to grow Blackberries

GOOD LUCK, AC
    acaruso76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneill474
    I wonder what kind of berrie bush that would grow in hot south Florida.
    zone 10. I don't know if blue berries or black berries would grow
    in this heat??? I know I have tried mulberry that required stratification which was a pain.
    and they still did not grow.
    I have 3 mulberry trees on my property, of which 2 of them produce nothing. The one that does is amazing. Every year it produces an insane amount of fruit. In fact we are going to attempt on making some mulberry pies tonight.
    jenniferlutz4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2009, 03:50 PM
    Blue berries grow verry well here, you must have more than one bush. They need to pollinate each other.
    Black berries won't grow in Florida
    Jennifer
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2009, 11:37 AM

Not every berry will grow in the heat in Florida. I lived in South Florida for 25 years and gave up trying to get berries to grow. The growing season for Florida is basically the fall, winter and spring months. The summer is way too hot for berries. Strawberries grow in the growing seasons in Florida, but not much other types of berries.
    Dadeo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2011, 01:32 PM
    First of all there are 6 hardiness zones in Florida. 8b,9a,9b,10a,10b and 11(please refer to http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-se1.html )Each zone has spacific climate characteristics, to say such and such a berry or other fruit bearing plant won't grow in Florida is simply "misinformation". The "Heat" of summer in Florida has nothing to do with growing raspberries or blackberries, rather the lack of cold in the winter. These plants have a "Chill Requirement" like apples or cherries. They require several hundred hours of temperatures below 40 degrees F. during their dormant state (winter). However, in some "parts" of Florida you CAN grow certain varieties of raspberries and many varieties of black and bluebarries as well as several varieties of Muscadine grapes. You can call your local county extension office and ask to speak to a Master Gardener and Horticulturist and they will tell you what will grow and how to tend it for your zone. You can acctually order any berry plant from northern Nurseries where the "chill requirement" has been met, plant them and voowalla you have your berries! BUT you have to buy new ones every year like annuals. Zone 8b, where I live are deffinatly limitations but I have black, blue raspberries and grapes.

I'm just saying
    Loratika Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2011, 11:08 AM
    I live in zone 10B and I have blueberries and blackberries growing in my yard. There are varieties that have been developed with a very low chill factor for central and south Florida. I am even planning on buying a peach tree for my yard. Before growing peaches in zone 10B would have been an act of futility, but thanks to the University of Florida, you have a lot of varieties of peaches, with good taste and characteristic, to choose from that you can grow in south Flortda. So you never know what possibilities there are for your area. That's why a trip to your garden center to check out varieties available and then a check on your computer and possibly a call to your extension office, are worth the effort. Good luck to all who experiment with what they can grow in their zone!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lilac Bushes [ 5 Answers ]

The lilac bushes in our yard stopped blooming about three years ago. Is there anything we can do to these bushes to revive them?

Pruning bushes [ 2 Answers ]

I have six bushes of Texas purple sage. They are on each end of my house in the flower beds. They have gotten too big and I need to know if I can cut them back like a lot? The leaves on the bottoms have gotton very sparse. Would appreciate any feed back. Thanks

HT Rose Bushes [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Ohio. I planted 2 new rose bushes last spring. A white HT John F Kennedy and a red Abraham Lincoln HT. I planted them about 2 feet from each other. They took off and blomed clear up till frost. I cut them back in the fall to about 2 feet from the ground. I noticed that my Blue girl HT...

Neighbors bushes [ 3 Answers ]

I have a problem with my neighbors bushes hanging past my property line. This wouldn't be such a big deal except the bushes a very thorny and a huge pain to mow under. If I asked my neighbors to trim them and they don't, is it legal for me to trim them? And how long should I wait for them to do...

Egyptian berries [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know what fruits and berries were available in Ancient Egypt at about 1800 BC? Captain O.

View more questions Search