Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Honda Owner Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2006, 09:18 AM
    1999 Accord dies unexpectedly and won't restart
    Hi. This problem has actually been happening for over a year, but was so infrequent in the beginning and has become more serious. I never know when it will die, so I avoid freeway driving, since the car could die, it is like a deathtrap. It is due for a tune-up... does anyone know if the main relay, distributor, ignitor, fuel system etc is included in an 80,000 mile tune-up?
    This is really a scary problem. We replaced the negative battery cable, since it was corroded and had become lose, but that hasn't made any difference. Any help as to where to start and how to troubleshoot would be very appreciated! Thanks.

Apr 28, 2006, 11:22 AM
    I just found out this could be the result of a faulty ignition switch which has been recalled. I checked with Honda.com and my VIN# is included in the affected vehicles. I would advise other owners to look into it as well for this "stalling without warning" problem. :)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2006, 05:29 AM
    HI,
    There are some very good mechanics all over America, not just higher priced Dealer Service Dept.
    I would ask around in your local area, for a good, reputable mechanic, and have your car checked out.
    Thanks for the information about the "stalling" recall. Maybe it can help others. Best of luck.

Apr 29, 2006, 07:07 AM
    Thanks. I will report back with the results of the recalled ignition switch being changed out.
    jhernandezsr Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Feb 7, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Honda Owner, what was the final result?
    thatmagnetguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2011, 09:22 PM
    It is March 2011 Our 98 Honda crv was running a wee bit sluggish. We sent it in for a service. When we cot it back it would all of a sudden stop completely (die) when driving. On the freeway at 60 it cut out and almost killed us. After replacement of the plugs and coil and so called cleaning of the injectors we heard about a recall by honda regarding a faulty iginition switch. The recall was in 1992. Honda took the car in and informed us that the bin # informed them that the car had had the recall replacement ignition switch.
    The computer diagnostic check showed no problems with circuitry, and reluctantly they agreed to replace again the "faulty" ignition part as some needed recalling again.
    We left the dealership and drove some 50 60 miles and the car drove fine.
    On starting the car today we have driven some 10 miles and the car has cut off again!
    What is going on. This time the car will not restart after the normal one to ten minutes. It appears to want to start and chugs to a start for seconds and then dies. On a next attempt it chugs for about 30 seconds and then dies while still idling. It almost feels as if the injectors are being flooded and then taking time to dry off. Any ideas guys?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2011, 06:29 AM

thatmagnetguy, replacing the Ignition Control Module (ICM) should solve the problem:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896
    xparisx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2011, 04:10 PM
    I too had to replace my ignition switch because my car would just die while I was driving... very scary, someone is going to get killed in these cars. My car started doing the same thing again just recently and I replaced the switch less than a year ago, my car just dies when it wants, and the new thing is that it now doesn't start all the time. I say ***?? This is crazy. Today I went to start it and nothing... all day I kept trying it. My husband comes home and tries it and YES, it starts... Honda should recall the whole car and give us our money back. I used to think Hondas were the best cars.. Not anymore.. they are junk just like the rest...
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 25, 2011, 04:43 PM

xparisx, try replacing the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1999 honda accord won't start [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, My accord won't start when I crank it up. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the ignition coil, but when I replaced it, I still have the same problem

98 Honda Accord Dies at random; Won't Start [ 13 Answers ]

Mom has a 98 Accord. Car dies intermittently, and then won't start. HOW IT DIES: The RPM's gradually drop (at random) until the idle no longer keeps the engine running. If you notice it dropping, you can give it gas and "ressurrect the idle" - which seems to be fine for awhile after. ...

1999 Honda Accord (4cyl) Whistle? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife has a 99 Honda Accord 4cyl, auto transmission car with 78k on it. The problem is it makes a whistle noise when slightly accelerating on the gas. The noise will go away when you step on the gas hard. You can clearly hear it cruising at 55mph. The car also only does it when it is warm. The...

92 Honda Accord Dies at stop lights [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I Have a 92 Honda Accord Automatic that is having problems. For the last couple weeks it seems to be idleing low when you are at a stop light or stop sign like in the 500 range. Well the other day at stop it died and about 20 minutes later it started again. Well 2 days after that it did the...

Trouble starting 1999 honda accord [ 2 Answers ]

My 1999 honda accord does not start occasionly. About once a week, I don't get any start. I turn the key several times like I'm advancing the starter or something, and it will start fine. It takes anywhere from 4 to 15 attempts, but always starts. What is the most likely cause? Starter? Relay?...

View more questions Search