Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chevy666 Posts: 127, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2011, 06:01 AM
    Reasons for tightness in lower leg muscles when walking?
    Hi,
    I just have a question on possible reasons for tightness in lower leg muscles when walking a couple blocks? Please let me know. Thank you!
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2011, 10:29 AM

Could be lots of things. The obvious is that you are walking vigorously without having warmed up. What sort of shoes do you wear walking? Are they the same ones you normally wear? What other exercise do you do?
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2011, 02:26 PM

Also, if you are power walking or something similar, are you stretching before and after? Make sure you drink plenty of water too. Dehydration can cause muscle aches.

May 23, 2011, 05:02 AM
    Comment on Eileen G's post
    I wear TurnTec running shoes. And yes I wear them whenever I walk anywhere more than 2 or 3 blocks. Also currently just walking for exercise.

May 23, 2011, 05:03 AM
    Comment on FadedMaster's post
    No, do you have any tips, or advice for stretching. And OK thank you, both of your answers were very helpful!
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2011, 01:17 PM

If you normally wear heels, and you put on running shoes for vigorous walking, your calf muscles can take a pounding. Heels tend to shorten calf muscles and you need to do extra stretching to counter this.

A very good stretch is standing with your toes on a step, and let your heels drop down as far as possible. Hold until it gets uncomfortable, stand down for a moment, and then repeat. Do a little running on the spot before you do this, just to warm up your muscles.

You can also sit on the floor and loop a strap or towel round your toes, and pull them back towards you until you feel a strong stretch in your calves.

Also check out hamstring stretches, they tend to get tight with a lot of sitting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which leg muscles of a frog are important for jumping long distances. [ 3 Answers ]

Describe an experiment you might perform to determine which leg muscles of a frog are important for jumping long distances.

Runner with very tight leg muscles. [ 1 Answers ]

My 17 year old son is a fairly talented runner, but for the past 5-6 months has had a series of muscle pulls and strains. (hip flexor, calf, hamstring). The athletic trainer says he has some of the tightest and least flexible muscles he has seen. He eats well, plenty of fluids, consistent...

Is it true that a girls leg muscles will change after sex ? [ 8 Answers ]

I was told that a girls muscles in her legs will change after sex. So people can look at you from behind and tell if you have had sex. Is this true?

Walking on side of feet to loosen ankle muscles [ 2 Answers ]

My 11 year old is required to walk on the sides of her feet in PE at school. The teacher says it is to loosen the ankle muscles before running. They walk on the inside and the outside of their feet. Is this safe?

Broken leg, no one walking dog [ 3 Answers ]

Salutations, I broke my leg 2 weeks ago and am unable to walk my 2 year old dog (which has always for some reason been my job) No one in my family has walked her for the aforementioned amount of time, and I feel terrible for her, is this really bad for her health? Fondly, Nat.

View more questions Search