Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kuykendall123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2011, 03:30 PM
    Grants for high school diploma?
    I am looking for a grant that will pay for me to get a high school diploma not a g.e.d. in detroit. I already have a school picked out.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 12, 2011, 03:46 PM

How old are you? Also unlock your caps key, everything is the reverse of what it should be
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 12, 2011, 03:57 PM

Have you talked to the principal of that school, or to the superintendent of the district?

May 12, 2011, 04:01 PM

Now Wondergirl, you and I both know you need to use a capital P in principal and capital S for the supt. Waiting to hear from Op but I am going to take a wild guess that the chosen school is a private high school.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 12, 2011, 04:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Now Wondergirl, you and I both know you need to use a capital P in principal and capital S for the supt.
    Not true. That would be the case only if the titles are used with proper names.

I had to see Principal Ballenger today.
    I had to see the principal today.

We sure wish Superintendent Ballenger would share his cookies with us.
    We sure wish the superintendent would share his cookies with us.

May 12, 2011, 04:08 PM

No cookie for anyone yet. Lol Could be wrong but pretty sure when you say the principal you are referring to a singular person,not named but understood since there is only one. I was one once but doesn't mean I have better grammar than anyone else.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 12, 2011, 04:14 PM
    Could be wrong but pretty sure when you say the principal you are refering to a singular person,not named but understood since there is only one.
    One. Ten. Two hundred. If there is no proper name attached, the noun is not capitalized.

We all know that the principal of Brockport High School is Mr. Ballenger.
    We all know that Principal Ballenger runs Brockport High School.

If you Google this, you will see I am correct -- e.g. from WHEN SHOULD I CAPITALIZE? - First-Year English FAQs

Capitalize titles when they precede proper names, but not when they follow proper names or are used alone.

Example: Principal Smith, Superintendent Kohler.
    Example: Mr. Smith, principal; Mr. Kohler, superintendent

From wiki.answers.com I did get this, so you may be correct regarding a specific man with the proper name understood by both the speaker and listener (who know that person's name) --

Do you capitalize the word principal when used with reference to a school official?

Yes, if you are referencing a specific principal - for instance "Principal Smith", or "the Principal" addressed the assembly. However if you are referring to any principal you would not capitalise, for instance: "where can i find a principal?"

From grammarmudge.com --

The Chicago Manual of Style says: "Civil, military, religious, and professional titles are capitalized when they immediately precede a personal name and are thus used as part of the name. . . . Titles are not normally lower-cased when following a name or used in place of a name." However, CMoS also allows that exceptions are made "in promotional or other contexts for reasons of courtesy or politics."

The exceptions make the whole question of capitalizing titles very hard to pin down. Differences among style books further complicate matters. There's very strong agreement about capitalizing before the name but less agreement about what to do with titles following a name or in place of a name.

May 12, 2011, 04:41 PM

Interesting, I stand corrected but am keeping the cookies. I actual am working tomorrow, you ever sub at the library or schools?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 12, 2011, 04:46 PM
    I actual am working tomorrow, you ever sub at the library or schools??
    I was a school teacher and morphed into a (public) librarian for thirty years.

I did concede that "principal" could be capitalized if we know which one we are talking about, even if we don't use his name. See my added quote from grammarmudge.com.

May 12, 2011, 04:49 PM

So not subbing? You still can, about $100 a day and some provide a free hot lunch. Keeps me busy.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 12, 2011, 04:52 PM
    soo not subbing?? You still can, about $100 a day and some provide a free hot lunch. Keeps me busy.
    Thanks for the info. I stopped renewing my teaching certificate about ten years ago. Now I'm enjoying retirement.

May 12, 2011, 04:56 PM

OK trying to drum up a few more subs. You do not need a cert, you can get a sub cert at the ROE at the DuPage County buildng. Just mentioned it because I saw a post where you said retired and no life.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 12, 2011, 05:01 PM
    OK trying to drum up a few more subs. You do not need a cert, you can get a sub cert at the ROE at the DuPage County buildng. Just mentioned it because I saw a post where you said retired and no life.
    I just finished an online course through COD on the finer points of editing, am editing several pre-pub books, am helping writers find agents, saw my most recent article get published in the March/April issue of a magazine, and, when I have time and they're awake, I talk with my five cats. Otherwise, I have no life. ;)

May 12, 2011, 05:03 PM

That's actually more than some of my other retired buds. If they can't golf they sit

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Grants for GED or high school diploma`s [ 3 Answers ]

Is there grants for online GED`s or high school diploma`s

Grants to help get high school diploma [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to get my diploma on line and they want 299.00 I'm a single mom of 4 and really can't afford it . They said after I finish the last 2 test they would mail it to me after I pay. Can anyone help? I'm an stna and my job wants to help me better myself to become an lpn, but just need help

High school diploma [ 3 Answers ]

Hello my name is Marco Arcila I live in Tampa Florida I didn't finish my high school I only need 2 credits more so I could get my 24 credits compreted that I need Im trying to look so any one can help me with this how I can't finish my high school diproma at home ?

High school diploma [ 5 Answers ]

I want to get my high school diploma on line, but can't afford it is there any way of getting help with the cost?

View more questions Search