Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Beccie Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2011, 09:10 AM
    How to hook up a hot water heater using the existing heat pump
    Anyone out there know about hooking up the hot water tank to your existing heat pump? How hard and expensive was/is it to do. Thank you Beccie
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 10, 2011, 09:18 AM

This is not about taxes, so I'll move it to plumbing.
    Uber Member

May 10, 2011, 09:21 AM

Beccie, a "heat pump" normally describes a part of the heating system for your house or apartment. What do you mean by hooking up your hot water tank to the "heat pump"?

May 10, 2011, 09:22 AM
    Comment on RickJ's post
    Thank you, I have not figured out how to navigate the site yet. I appreciate your help. Beccie
    Uber Member

May 10, 2011, 09:26 AM

No problem, we are here to help. See my previous response regarding the hook-up.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 10, 2011, 05:03 PM

Yup! We need more information, for sure!

What kind of heat system?

What kind of heat pump?

What kind of water heater (gas/electric/oil)?

More info. Gets a better answer, OK?

Thanks... Mark
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 10, 2011, 05:41 PM

We sure need to know lots more. As is, this is almost likely asking how to connect your hot tub to your furnace. Unrelated systems that do not connect to each other. Tell us more and we can help
    KenSayers Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

May 11, 2011, 03:33 AM
    I do not believe you can hook up a heat pump to any water heater. There are "Heat Pump Water Heaters" and I considered on for my house. However, my mechanical room was not big enough to accommodate it. It requires more cubic feet to support it than I could provide. What I will tell you, however, this is one of those "if you have to ask" questions that indicates this is beyond your weekend project capabilities.

May 11, 2011, 09:27 AM
    Comment on massplumber2008's post
    Oh you guys are great. I have a whole bunch of you ready to answer. Great. I will give you what I know. I was researching my options for getting hot water. I read that I could use my existing heat pump to add a hot water system to it. I am also checking out solar and on demand. Opinions wanted on what would be best. Our electric hot water tank is smelling of rotten eggs, only 3 years old. If this is the case, and an anode needs to be relaced, what is the cost of that every 3 years to hooking up something that works with the sun, or on demand, or hooked up with an existing 3 year old heat pump. Maybe we can discuss the best choice. I think we have found that our hot water tank has a 6 year warranty, so that may help us in our choice, but, every three years would be a bust. So thank you in advance for our time and answers. Becie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to hook up 2 hot water heater system? [ 7 Answers ]

I am trying to hook up 2 hot water heaters in one house, (natural gas). I know how to hook up one tank, but not 2. please help.:confused:

Hot water heater hook up [ 14 Answers ]

I am installing a sears kenmore electric hot water heater,240 volt . The problem I am having is I have black & white 240 line coming to the heater & coming out of the top of heater is a black -blue & yellow wire they say the yellow is if you have a timer. How do you hook this up

Pluming does the recurculating pipe hook to the hot or cold inlet to the water heater [ 0 Answers ]

Comercial water heater a pipe from the hot outlet returns to the cold inlet is this correct

Hot Water Heater hook-up [ 2 Answers ]

If the cold is coming in on the hot side and hot coming in on the cold side when I turn on the tap on the sink ;what can I do the fix this? I have change the line and still hot is on the cold line and cold on the hot line. HELP HELP Please!!

Hot water heater hook up [ 1 Answers ]

Does the main water hook up hook to the cold water side of the water heater?

View more questions Search