Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yakgirl Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2011, 07:34 AM
    Why won't my honda civic start when it is cold?
    Why won't my 2002 honda civic start when it is cold outside? It starts fine when the weather is warm. Radio will play but is very hard to get it to turn over.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 5, 2011, 07:54 AM

Bad batteries are the #1 reason a car will start in warm weather but is very slow (or hard) to turn over when the temp drops.

Get it load tested at an Auto parts store and replaced if it is bad.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 5, 2011, 08:12 AM

Replace the battery and clean the battery cable connections. Should the problem persist, replace the platinum spark plugs (NGK only) if they have not been changed in 50,000 miles.

May 5, 2011, 05:42 PM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    Thank you. My first thought was the battery but it was replaced about 6,000 miles ago and less than a year ago. I will have it tested.

May 5, 2011, 05:42 PM
    Comment on TxGreaseMonkey's post
    Thank you.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 5, 2011, 05:48 PM

If the battery is low, have them test the alternator. The battery should still be under warranty.

May 6, 2011, 05:51 AM
    Comment on TxGreaseMonkey's post
    Thank you, I will do that. The car is new to me at at first it was just slow to turn over in a.m. and not having ever owned a Honda, thought it was just the way they are. We had a cold snap after having some warm weather and this time the starting up is way worse.
    john12121 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2011, 01:32 AM
    Not only Honda Civic,but many other gasoline-powered car fail to start in cold temperatures,due to insufficient battery power, thick engine oil and frozen coolant(the most common reason)...
    Use slightly thinner oil in cold weather as suggested in user manual.. Check your anti freeze.. Insufficient anti freeze may be the reason nor not starting... Also check for spark.If no sparks,there must be some problem with ignition.. Use proper cold weather start up process suggested in Honda manual..
    Used cars for sale

May 8, 2011, 08:42 AM
    Comment on john12121's post
    I thank everyone for the good input. I have not had a chance to have the battery tested but will do that first as it seems like the first step- like checking your breakers when you don't have electricity.
    ashleyrms22 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2011, 11:31 PM
    This is a comment problam for many other gasoline powered cars fail to start in cold weather. Due to low battery power and thick engine oil. To avoid this probleam used slight thinner oil in cold weather. And also check spark. If no sparks, there must be some problem with ignition. Hyundai cars

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1997 honda civic dx won't crank won't start [ 17 Answers ]

I have a 1997 honda civic dx 5 speed. Yesterday car was fine, started strong and drove strong. I parked car last night and about 4-5 hours later tried to start it. When I turned the key in the ignition there was no crank at all. I can hear a little hum and then a click but that's all.

2001 Honda Civic nearly stalls after cold start [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX. Here's the problem I've been trying to diagnose: The problem only occurs after the engine has not run for ~8 hours. After starting, (starts just fine), the engine will go several (3-8) episodes where it will appear to "almost" stall: The rpms will drop to almost...

1995 Honda Civic Won't start cold/damp [ 1 Answers ]

Starts fine when it's hot and/or dry, but when raining or cool, it just cranks. I saw some of the previous questions on this same issue, but have been unable to determine what the issue is. I replaced the plugs and wires and removed the distributor cap. Everything inside the cap looked dry and...

94 Honda Civic won't Start [ 3 Answers ]

Please help!! I have a 94 Honda Civic with a SOHC 1.6 litre Vtec D16Z6. I recently replaced the head gasket with a cometic gasket and had the head resurfaced, now the car won't start. The motor turns over, I get fuel, spark and the motor is at top dead center. Im out of troubleshooting ideas. The...

84 Honda Civic won't Start? [ 3 Answers ]

I think the Battery terminals touched while I was fitting a new battery in & shorted out a fuse, but I can't find which 1 it blew, Can someone help me out here??

View more questions Search