Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leftwinga Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

Nov 23, 2006, 09:31 AM
    Bigger pressure tank or increase pressure?
    I bought a new home and the builder had installed a 20 gal pressure tank. I have a jet pump system where the motor sits directly on the tank itself. I really notice the pump running a bit,but also notice the loss of pressure quickly, especially in the shower.
    Now I was thinking of buying a much bigger tank, maybe 40-50 or even an 86 gallon tank. Will this help my problem... or will just adjusting my cut in/out pressure on the tank work..
    Oh by the way.. I live with my wife, 3kids and My dang mother-in-law with her teenager is staying with us.. so total 7 people in the home.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 23, 2006, 10:04 AM
    Installing a larger pressure tank will give you more volume to play with. Increasiung the pressure won't give you more volume, just more pressure and you'll run out of volume sooner. My condolences about the mother -in-law and the baggage she brought along when she moved in. Being single I don't have those problems. (just kidding) On a happier note I wish you and your family a happy and joyous thanksgiving. Tom
    leftwinga Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

Nov 23, 2006, 10:18 AM
    BTW.. thanks for the condolences... ill need them

As for the tank.. is there a size I should be looking for, Or is the bigger the better with all these people? I keep reading all these post about raising the pressure with the switch. I guess ithis was my case Id have more pressure, but the pump will run more often?
    I guess I want to make sure if I get this bigger tank, will I have the pressure the shower when I need it... Or will I still ,at that point, have to raise it up some to like a 40/60 deal.
    What I want is more shower pressure and total pressure... Is it because I only have a 20gal holing tank causing the pressure to drop fast.. thus making the pump run often?
    Will having a 55 gal holding tank keep the pressure up for a while before dying down and needing the pump to come on?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 23, 2006, 10:44 AM
    Ya got to unnerstand about pressure and volume. Ya got to have both. If you have a 20/40 pressure switch you have the pressure. Increasing it will give you a faster flow but it won't give you more water,(volume). You need to store more water, (volume) for that pressure to push the water out your pipes.
    Here's a Rundown on Average Water Usage

Bath= 30-40 gals.
    Shower= 5 gals. Per minute
    Washer= 20-30 gals.
    Toilet=1.6-- -3 1/2 gals per flush
    Lawn watering= 10 gal per minute
    multiply that times seven and you're going to need all the volume a tank will hold.
    I only hope your water is large enough to carry the load. Good luck, Tom
    Millerhill Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Apr 30, 2011, 12:29 PM
    Well pump
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 1, 2011, 03:13 PM

Is that a question?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Increase water pressure from a well [ 64 Answers ]

Hello again, this is my third trip here, and both previous sessions were very helpful. I've just purchased a new house that is supplied by a well. There is a pump at the bottom of the well (I see an electrical wire going toward the well head). The pipe from the well feeds into a pressure tank...

Pressure/bladder tank losing pressure? [ 11 Answers ]

Well, I have asked some questions about my plumbing before. So I am calling on you guys once again. I have a 52 gallon pressure tank/bladder tank made by wellsaver. I turn the water on and have good pressure for a few minutes then it basically goes dead with no pressure. I recently posted questions...

Increase water pressure for ice maker [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a side by side refrigerator and I have hooked everything up correctly, I used the pre-existing line that was ran for just a ice maker on the old fridge which made a lot of ice with no problem, our current one has ice and water, the water works with moderate pressure, but no water is...

Tank Pressure vs Pump Cut Out Pressure for Well [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to increase my water system pressure to the minimum required 40 PSI to feed my reverse osmosis drinking water filter. However, the 33 gallon pressure tank for my well pump system says it is pre-charged at 30 PSI and that the cut in pressure for my pump should be set equal to that 30...

New pressure tank? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had my well pump replaced. Ever since, the pump kicks in after a gallon or two of water use. I called the well pump installer immediately when we noticed the problem (which did not exist until he came out to replace the pump), but he won't show up to check it out. Kidnapping him and...

View more questions Search