Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jhill1961 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2011, 03:03 PM
    Power to outbuilding
    What size wire is needed to supply a 60 amp subpanel that is 35 feet away to an outbuilding? The outbuilding will be a workshop and is 308 sq.ft. All the wiring in the building will be 12awg and plan on using 20 amp breakers. There will be 2 light, 1 dedicated, 3 receptical and 2 additional circuits. Thanks
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2011, 03:26 PM
    Are you planning to run Copper or Aluminum wire? Buried or overhead?

Apr 28, 2011, 04:11 PM
    Am planning to run copper buried. Also will be using woodworking tools, compressor, tablesaw, router, chop saw etc.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 28, 2011, 05:10 PM

There are some very basic things you need to know.

First, you will need a four wire feeder from the main service panel to your panelboard in the shop.

If you bring electrical power into a remote building, you must install an exterior light at the entrance to the building.

The panelboard in the shop can be a MLO (Main Lug Only)panelboard or a MCB (Main Circuit Breaker).

If you choose a MLO panelboard, then you must have either a Main Disconnect switch or no more than six breakers in the panelboard. Personal, I strongly suggest the main disconnect switch. It is the most quick and safest way to cut power in the event of an emergency.

The panelboard in the shop must have "Neutral" and "Ground" isolated from each other. The only place where you can have ground and neutral meet is in the in service panelboard.

You must also install either a ground rod or if you have a metal cold water pipe that is buried and extends at least 10' from the building then you can bond the shop panelboard ground to that.

Now as to your load. You really have to do a load calculation to make sure that you are supplying the correct levels of voltage and amperage.

Any 120 volt receptacle in the garage should be GFCI protected, with the exception of receptacles that supply power to motor driven equipment.

You also must make sure that the motor, amperage, cables, cords and circuit breakers are properly sized for each motor to be used.

Not knowing the level of wood dust and/or fibers you might kick up, you must be able to protect the receptacles from contamination.

If too much wood dust or fibers collect inside of receptacles you could end up with an explosion or fire.

In most cases, I would suggest using a dust-proof receptacle box. A waterproof box would work fine.

There is a lot of work to planning a wood shop out for electrical service. Also, not knowing what your LAHJ requires, permits and inspections may be required.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2011, 07:34 PM
    #6 THWN will get you 65 Amps and a little voltage drop in 35 ft. To be safe and allow power for saws, a compressor etc. #4 THWN goes 85 Amps. Might cost another $50 but well worth it. Are you familiar with the wiring of a sub-panel? Donf covered the details. It's not quite like running a big extension cord!

Apr 29, 2011, 07:29 AM
    I am a carpenter by trade and have over 20 years in the building industry. I will be running all the wiring myself with the exception of the final hookups at the panels. That I will leave to an electrican. I do have all permits needed and have very detailed plans for my workshop as to where all tools, lights etc. will be placed. Thanks for the info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Running power to a outbuilding, do I need a separate disconnect? [ 8 Answers ]

I am running power to an outbuilding, and was told I need a separate power disconnect on the outside of the building before the service entrance panel. Something about Firefighters need access to the power, on the outside of the building. Is this a new code I'm unaware of?

Connecting to an outbuilding [ 3 Answers ]

I need to run electricity to a shed that is approximately 65' away from my subpanel. I assume that I can use underground wire instead of having to use conduit. I will only be supplying electricity to a small refrigerator and a couple of fluorescent lights. What wire size should be used and if I...

Power To An Outbuilding [ 2 Answers ]

I have a barn that is 300 feet from my house & I want to install 4 or 5 lights plus a power outlet. What size wire & breaker would I need to do this in a satisfactory / safe manner. Many Thanks

Electric Power to Outbuilding [ 3 Answers ]

My house has 200 amp service. I am running power to my new shed 250 feet from the house and need no more than 60 amps. What size wire (direct bury) do I need and should I be looking at copper or aluminum? Also, is there a formula to calculate the wire size based on amps, distance, voltage...

View more questions Search