Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mooregene Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2011, 03:47 PM
    I have a 89 honda civic has no power in drive and stalls
    I have a 89 honda civic runs great but in drive has no power once you get it going it runs fine but stalls when you come to a red light what do you think ?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2011, 04:22 PM

Replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

Apr 27, 2011, 12:59 PM
    Hello.txgreasemonkey the icm and coil didn't fix the 89 honda civic it still has no power in drive revs slow but slowly revs up great put it drive no power ! Before all this happened did the same thing but slowly would run fine at 40 to 60+ but stalls at red lights starts up but no power please help ? I also replaced the fuel pump cleaned the iac motor and still the same

Apr 27, 2011, 01:16 PM
    89 honda civic revs slow at lower rpm revs good at higher rpm then stalls
    I have a 89 honda civic 1.5 at first the car would start slow and then pick up speed and run fine after a few days did the same thing but stall at the red light it will restart now but boggs down and stall . I replaced the icm, distributer cap, coil,rotor button,fuel pump,clean the iac motor and still has the problem please help??
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2011, 01:27 PM

Additional thoughts:

. Check the compression of each cylinder. Did it ever overheat?

. Check the idle rpm (700).

. Assuming you have good compression, you still may have a distributor problem. Over time, the internal sensors (CKP, TDC, and CYL) can start to fail. See if you can install your new ICM and coil in a genuine Honda distributor housing. Over 50% of new aftermarket distributors for Hondas don't work at AMHD. See if this makes sense, in your case.

I'm assuming you don't have an automatic transmission problem; i.e. no problems with the TCM or clutch packs. I'm also assuming the check engine light is not on.

. Check/replace the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor. It delivers more fuel when cold and less fuel when warm. They become corroded and cause serious performance problems.

Apr 27, 2011, 02:22 PM
    Comment on TxGreaseMonkey's post
    It blew a headgasket a month ago I had the head checked and rebuilt by dover heads the car ran awesome for a month no overheating had great compression in each cylinder just revs slow then fine after 2grand once I put it in drive just boggs down no power so I know its not the trans because it's the same in park? Thanks so much for your time grease monkey lol I been an ase tech for 25 years I'm stumped and aggrevated pleaase help oh ps it's the original honda housing
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2011, 02:39 PM

. Have you removed the spark plugs and checked each cylinder's pressure recently? Based on the recent head work performed, I suspect there's still a problem here (i.e. valves, head gasket, or rings). This link may help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post232786

This possibility needs to be carefully checked and ruled out, before doing anything else.

. Have you checked the timing? This link may help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post219963

. Has the fuel filter been changed in the last 60,000 miles or 4 years?

May 2, 2011, 10:24 AM
    Comment on TxGreaseMonkey's post
    Okay I replaced the coolant temp sensor I just knew it would fix it ran great for a minuite still no power and now it won't start please help greesemonkey ps compression is 175 per cylinder also

May 2, 2011, 10:30 AM
    89 honda civic 1.5 no power stalls?
    Hello I need help somebody my 89 honda civic 1.5 overheated I replaced the head and gasket new head not used car ran like new for 2 weeks now had no power revs slow at 60 runs fine now won't has no power replaced fuel pump filter new distributer not reman wires plugs car rotor checked cat is clean replaced coolant temp sensor has good compression what's wrong??
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 2, 2011, 10:48 AM

Recheck your camshaft timing. One tooth off it runs weak... two teeth off it runs really bad... three teeth off and you bend valves.

If the tensioner wasn't tightented right or it was installed a tooth or two off when it went together... check that first to make sure its correct. THEN reset the ignition timing last if you have to change anything.

May 2, 2011, 10:52 AM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    I rechecked the timing its dead on any other ideas ? Pulled new plugs running really rich installed new ones still won't run has good fuel pressure you would think it would foul out the plugs but its not
    Uber Member

May 2, 2011, 11:08 AM

Is the computer flashing any codes? Its under the passenger side carpet up in the firewall under the glove box .
    Uber Member

May 2, 2011, 11:26 AM

Is the new distributor housing made by Honda? Over 50% of new aftermarket distributors don't work at AMHD. The reliability and performance of the rest are poor. It's fine to install an aftermarket ICM and coil in a Honda distributor housing to save money, however.

The plugs are likely fouling, due to poor spark. This may also be indicating a problem with the distributor.

May 2, 2011, 03:02 PM
    Hello,I have a 89 civic 1.5 has fuel pressure and spark won't run any ideas ?
    Hello, my 89 honda civic blew a head gasket I replaced it with a new head and gaskets ran fine for two weeks and now no power and then slowly picks up speed.. I replaced the distributer new not reman also fuel pump and etc ran fine and stalled now it won't start any ideas??
    Uber Member

May 2, 2011, 03:13 PM

You already have a thread on this. That has been asked and answered. Actually you already have TWO other threads.

May 29, 2011, 07:49 AM
    Hello,I finnaly figured out my problem... The keyway on the camgear broke causing the gear to slip causing the timimg to go off . Replaced the gear problem solved!! Thanks to all that tried to help greasemonkey and others
    Uber Member

May 29, 2011, 12:19 PM

Good job.
    Uber Member

May 30, 2011, 12:53 PM

Glad to hear you finally got it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda CRV automatic stalls on drive when cold [ 2 Answers ]

My 2001 CRV starts first time even in the cold and the idle is fine till I change to R or D, it then stalls. Eventually when I get it going, the revs are very low and if I stop it stalls. All problems resolve themselves once the engine is warm. The diagnostic was 100% and Honda blamed it on the...

Honda civic stalls [ 20 Answers ]

I have an 89 honda civic lx 1.5L 5-sp. The car was running great until one day I was driving along around 60mph when the car sputter and lost power as if running out of fuel. I pulled over and the engine sputtered a little more but then was fine. This happened several more times over the course of...

Honda civic 92 stalls [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have an automatic civic 92. I've been reading other answers on hondas that turn but won't crank. My problem is that my car stalled on me on the road 2 weeks ago during extreme cold weather (-35 degrees) and had to tow it back home. Obviously I thought the gas lines were frozen. ...

Honda has no power. Stalls out in drive [ 5 Answers ]

OK.. I have a 89 honda civic hatchback.. at first my I had a timing problem.. it was off 180 degrees.. well then it wouldn't start because it was not getting spark.. so I replaced the whole distributer (the coil was probably bad) now it starts but has no power what so ever and goes to stall out...

93' Honda Civic Stalls [ 3 Answers ]

My 93' Honda Civic has been stalling lately. It started a couple of months ago when it first started to get cold. Also, I notice that it stalls most often when it is cold. When the problem first occurred, I tried using fuel injector cleaner every time I filled up my gas tank. However, the fuel...

View more questions Search