Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mountaindrmin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2011, 11:53 AM
    My 3 week old puppy is throwing up milk every time he nurses, should I worry?
    My 3 week old puppy is throwing up milk every time he nurses, should I worry? He eats plenty and is a fat healthy looking pup. He does seem to have a little bit of a cough when he spits the milk back up.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 23, 2011, 01:17 PM

Have you taken him to the vet? That's really your best option.

We can't really give you an accurate diagnosis on the internet.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 23, 2011, 04:53 PM

Had to spread the rep Alty, but that was good advice!

Yes you should worry. Your pup could dehydrate and die. You should contact a vet. Unfortuanatly there is nothing we can offer, we can't see the pup and we can't diagnose him.

Good luck.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 23, 2011, 08:45 PM

mountaindrmin does not find this helpful : I was just hoping to find someone who has experienced this before.
    Time to read the rules you agreed to. My answer was not at all inaccurate. In fact, it's the only answer anyone on the internet can give.

The rules clearly state that unless a question is inaccurate or harmful, it's not deserving of a unhelpful rating. Your rating was not only unwarranted, but against the rules of this site. :(
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2011, 09:02 PM

Is the puppy actually vomiting or is it just spitting a little up? Is it every time it eats or just sometimes. Does the mother dog have worms or was she dewormed before breeding? How long has this been happening? Do any of the other puppies do the same thing? Is the puppy eliminating normally? Is this puppy the fattest one or the skinniest one or somewhere in between. Have the pups been in contact with a lot of people? Has this pup been handled more than the other ones? Have the pups been in contact with other dogs? Does the puppy have a fever?

All of these questions would have to be considered before an answer could be entertained. It could be nothing, or it could be fatal. With a young puppy if there is a chance that it could be sick, time is of the essence. By the time you search on the internet for answers your puppy's condition could move from being easily helped to fatal. If a very young puppy is sick it is pretty much always the best thing to call and speak to or take it to your vet. Please do so for your little guy. It could mean the difference between living and dying.

Please let us know what the vet thinks.

Hugs, Did
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Apr 24, 2011, 06:36 PM
    When I've seen similar symptoms like this, it is also accompanied by blowing bubbles through the nose. And not so much vomiting. I suspect that this isn't vomiting so much as gagging from getting some milk down the windpipe.

I would look for some abnormality in the back of the throat. A partially cleft palate would also permit these symptoms to occur as well. As others have said before, see your vet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I leave food down all the time for a 5 week old puppy? [ 2 Answers ]

Should I leave food down all the time for a 5 week old puppy?

11 week old puppy swallowed a skinny but long 40% rawhide bone, should I worry? [ 4 Answers ]

My puppy, who is 11 weeks old, was given a treat yesterday. The treat is a rawhide bone that has chicken surrounding it. The package says that the treat itself is only 40% rawhide. What happened last night is that he got the treat but I tried to take it away because I was scared he might choke...

Puppy throwing up white foam? [ 7 Answers ]

My puppy is throwing up white foamy stuff, what is it? What is wrong with him?

Shih Tzu Puppy Throwing Up [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 5+ month old shih tzu puppy. He has been throwing up about every other morning since last week. (Including today, has thrown up two days in a row since he also did yesterday.) Very odd. He is still eating, pooping/peeing regularly. Everything looks good. He had been on muscle...

Puppy throwing up, no poopin [ 12 Answers ]

I have a year and 3 month old cairn terrier. For the past three mornings, she has woken up and thrown up. She also hasn't been pooping normally. Other than that, she is pretty much herself. She does seem a little lethargic, but it is really hot out so it could be from that. Is this a case of...

View more questions Search