Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teddybear_160 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2011, 11:02 AM
    Can we get "in trouble" for having siblings of the opposite sex share a bed?
    I live in Ontario, Canada so I am interested to know what the laws are pertaining to me only, and not any other province or the States.

My husband has 2 children with his ex, and the mother has sole custody (despite my husband's attempts to keep joint custody). His ex is flipping out because we recently had to move into a smaller house and no longer have an extra bedroom, so we have the 11-year-old boy and 9-year-old girl share a bed when they visit us every other Friday and Saturday night. The mother is saying that she is going to call Children's Aid on us and that we are not acting in the best interests of the children. Can someone please let me know if this is really an issue? What if we get them to sleep in separate sleeping bags on top of the bed? I understand that maybe the boy is embarrassed to wake up next to his sister, being as he is at the age where he is starting to hit puberty.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 15, 2011, 11:06 AM

How about the two females sleeping together and the two males doing the same, since it's only every other weekend?

Apr 15, 2011, 11:14 AM
    Hi Wondergirl - thanks for your response but I'm not sure I understand it...

We only have the kids every other weekend anyway, so it's already only every other weekend. There are only 2 kids - one boy and one girl.

Are you saying that my husband should share the bed with his son and I should share a bed with his daughter? His ex HATES me and I'm sure this would pose an even bigger problem than the two of them sharing a bed... The mother's suggestion is to have one of them sleep on the floor, and they can take turns. This is why I wondered about the sleeping bags on the bed instead because we have hardwood floors and I think they would be very uncomfortable to sleep on.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 15, 2011, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by teddybear_160 View Post
    Are you saying that my husband should share the bed with his son and I should share a bed with his daughter?
    Yes, that's what I meant. I didn't know his ex hates you.
    The mother's suggestion is to have one of them sleep on the floor, and they can take turns.
    Buy an air mattress (for underneath the sleeping bag) or even a futon for the floor-sleeping child ?
    HorrorQueen Posts: 56, Reputation: 3

Apr 15, 2011, 03:59 PM
    I wouldn't think that she would get very far in reporting you, you're not actually doing anything wrong but the situation cannot continue like this - 11 & 9 are probably the very upper limits for sharing a bed, especially with the boy being older and it must be uncomfortable for them.

I thought Wondergirls suggestion was very good, but if you can't do that then how about the boy shares a bed with his father, the girl sleeps in the spare bed and you possibly sleep on the couch?

Or, as Wondergirl said, is there anything stopping you from buying an airbed or a campbed? Something which won't take up much room when the kids aren't there but will solve the problem instantly? I don't think the sleeping bags on top of the bed would be very comfortable for the children.

Good luck
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2011, 04:31 PM

Air mattress. Why cause a problem?

If he ex doesn't want them sharing a bed, buy an air mattress. Easier than fighting with her.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 15, 2011, 05:07 PM

I think CPS will investigate and they will tell you that you should change these arrangements immediately. But I doubt if they would do anything more that that.

But I see nothing wrong with the you sharing with your step daughter and the father with his son one or two notes every other weekend. I can't see the mother making a reasonable objection to that especially after she has objected to the current arrangements.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 15, 2011, 06:18 PM

Air mattress, twin beds from a second hand store, someone sleeps on the couch.

CPS will most likely come and question everyone and to be honest if you can keep away from that the better, once you are targeted they often keep looking and looking.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Apr 15, 2011, 11:24 PM

Ooops! There is no laws in existence which forbid a brother and a sister to share a bed but it may be a cause for custody modification.As others said above , one additional bed will remove all legal problems.;)

Children's Aid Societies has rules where it is forbidden opposite sexed children to share a room up to 6-7 years of age . But it is true only for foster families./5. No foster child over six years of age shares a bedroom with another child of the opposite sex./
    I assume the children do not live permanently with you.
    Another question:So what happens when you go camping ? Does each child need their own tent ?:eek:

Apr 18, 2011, 07:59 AM
    Thanks GV70. And that is exactly what I said (the camping question).

The situation is not quite as simple as everyone is making it out to be. We live in a very small 2-bedroom bungalow, and I have a 17-year-old son, so there are no extra bedrooms. We have a pull-out couch in the livingroom, and that is where my husband's 2 kids sleep. We do not have a loveseat but an arm chair, so we can't even just have them sleep on separate couches. There is no room for an air mattress. There is definitely no room for extra beds, nor do we want beds in our livingroom, especially since they are only with us every other weekend. We do not have any other rooms - the livingroom and kitchen are open-concept, and then we just have the bathroom and the 2 bedrooms.

I should note that they do share a bedroom at Mom's - she lives in a 2-bedroom apartment. CAS did investigate her during their custody battle and didn't seem to have an issue with them sharing a room (bunkbed).

My husband is 6'8" and I am over 6', so we do not fit on the pull out couch and therefore having one of us sleep on the pull-out couch with one of the children is not an option.

Anyway, the whole reason I asked what the legalities are in the first place is because it's a situation that just cannot be helped at the moment. My husband lost his job and we had to start renting out our basement, so we no longer have separate bedrooms for his 2 kids. Once we get back on our feet and the 1 year lease is up for our tenants, the kids will have their own bedrooms again and we won't have to worry about any of this.

I still don't see a problem with them sleeping side-by-side on the pull out couch in separate sleeping bags. Like GV70 said (and like I was thinking), it will be just like camping. It's only for +/- 4 nights per month, so I'm not too worried about it. I'm sure they will be perfectly comfortable.

Thanks for all your help!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 18, 2011, 01:31 PM

Why not have the 17 year old boy sleep on the couch during their visits and put a bunk bed in his room for them to sleep in on those weekends. Leave the existing bed for the 17 year olds alone.
    ambishan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2011, 01:43 PM
    Why ask for peoples opinions if you don't like the answers they have given you>
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2011, 01:56 PM

Where are you reading that the OP didn't like the answers? This thread, by the way, operates in a different manner than some of the others - it's a legal thread. We take our volunteer duties very seriously, and it's not about guessing. In the vast majority we either know the answer or we don't post.

It's not a chat board, either.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Siblings of opposite sex in one bedroom apt [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 21-year-old daughter and a 15-year-old son. Is it legal for them to live in an one bedroom apartment in Missouri? The apartment is big enough for them to live. My daughter is going to use the bedroom and my son the living room. My daughter's bed and desk will be in the bedroom, and my...

Is there a law concerning siblings of the opposite sex sharing a bedroom in nc? [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 daughters, a 12 year old and a 9 year old, I also have a 7 year old son. Is it illegal to have the 9 year old and the 7 year old share a room so that my 12 year old can have her own room? My girls don't want to share a room with each other and so I was trying to find a solution to my...

Opposite sex siblings sharing a bedroom [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 children who are 8, 5 and 4 and they are sharing the same bedroom at the moment, the older two are girls and the youngest is a boy. I've been on the council waiting list for a 3 bedroomed house for over 4 years now but as far as they know it is okay for the children to be sharing a room. ...

Siblings of opposite sex wants to share room. [ 1 Answers ]

My 8yr old son and 6yr old daughter want to share a room. I have 4 children altogether. The home we are in is a 4 bedroom and currently my 11yr old and 8 yr old boys are constantly fighting. My 4th child is only 7mos old and he wakes 3-4 times a night so he can't be roomed with my 8 yr old do to...

Opposite Sex Siblings sharing a bedroom [ 2 Answers ]

In the state of Wisconsin, is there any law prohibiting opposite-sex siblings from sharing a bedroom after a certain age?

View more questions Search