Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newsome Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Mixing wiring and outlet wire gauge .
    If I have a 15 amp circuit, and 14 gauge wire, why can't I install a 20-amp outlet? If a 20-amp device is plugged into the outlet, won't the circuit trip, preventing overload? Also, 20-amp outlets and 15-amp outlets appear to have the same connection for devices (two prongs and a ground hole), yet on this blog I think I am reading contrary information (I thought I read that a 15-amp outlet is constructed in such a way as to avoid having a 20-amp device plug into it - am I missing something? Thanks for your help (whomever is kind enough to reply)
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2007, 06:15 PM
    The 20 amp breaker may not trip because the load is under 20 amps, but still high enough to overload the 15 amp wire.

15 amp plug has two blades parallel up and down, and a 20 amp plug has one sideways from the other.
    newsome Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 09:38 PM
    Thanks - I probably wasn't as clear as I could be in my question. What I was wondering was, if I have a 15 amp breaker, and 15 amp wire, is it a problem to connect them to a 20 amp plug? I have always assumed the 15 amp breaker would trip before overheating the 15 amp wire.
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2007, 02:53 AM
    A 20 amp receptacle cannot be used on a 15 amp circuit. A 20 amp load will exceed the 80% rating of a 15 amp breaker and wire.
    miguelito3218 Posts: 60, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 03:04 PM
    Can you use all 20 amp receptacles on a 20 (12/2) amp line, even if it is not the only 20 amp receptacle on the circuit? In other words, in a typical 12/2 receptacle circuit, can all the outlets be 20 amp?

I ask because I happened to have 3 boxes of 20 amp commercial receptacles that I have been using on my receptacle only 20 amp lines.
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Yes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Must you re-wire outlet to outlet? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there. Great site. I am rewiring my 1950's house with plaster walls, older wiring had no ground. Because it is one story, and extremely tight in the attic on the outer walls, I ran a 12/2 home run for the outlets, to a big (1900?) junction box, then "spidered" out to each individual...

Proper gauge wire to run to hot tub? [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to run wiring from my main service panel to a hot tub on our back porch. My father was an electrician, so I have a fairly good base of knowledge, but I wish he was alive to help me out. To save on the electrician install, I was going to install the 240 breaker in the box and then run...

240 volt four wire in 240 three wire outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a generator that has (2) 20 amp 110 outlets and (1) 240 outlet. The 240 outlet have receptacle for four wire plug but I want to use it in a three 930 wire 240 volt plug at other end. Is this a workable solution?

How to wire a 240 outlet ? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I have what I thought a simple project.. ok I have a 5K watt generator that has a 240 v outlet.. I want to connect my 240 v arc welder to it.. only problem is that the plugs are different.. I already have the proper plugs to adapt the connection.. I made a one foot adapter ( pig tail )... my...

Wire gauge drop for lights? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing two sconces over a sink, each will have a 60 watt maximum bulb. The switch will share a box with the GFCI that is on a dedicated 12 gauge 20 amp circuit. Can I use 14 gauge wire from the load side of the GFCI to power the switch and then run 14 gauge to the sconces or must all...

View more questions Search