Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sarf21 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2011, 04:35 PM
    Living & working in 2 different states w/ filing status Married Filing Jointly
    My wife is a resident of NY and all of her income is from NY. I am a resident of GA and all of my income is from GA. If we are filing federal income tax married filing jointly, how do I file the state tax. I am using turbotax and its combining both NY and GA incomes for my GA tax return and will not let me change it to just my income which is the only income earned in GA?

1) Is this correct or is there something wrong with the software?
    2) Do we have to show our combined income on each state taxe?
    3) I have heard people say it is better to file married filing jointly but for our case I feel married filing separately makes more sense. Any recommendations?

Thanks for your time!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 11:13 AM

Both NY and GA allow you to file as Married Filing Separately even though you filed as Married Filing Jointly, as long as the non-resident spouse has no income from that state. If TT isn't allowing you to do that I can only guess that perhaps you didn't complete the personal interview section properly.

Alternatively, if it's allowing your wife to file as MFS for NY but is insisting you file as MFJ for GA, then one option would be to file as MFJ for GA and take the credit for taxes paid to other jurisdictions. Under this approach you do have to report all joint income to GA, but the credit essentially undoes any tax calculation based on her NY source income.
    sarf21 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2011, 02:16 PM
    Comment on ebaines's post
    Thanks!
    soarwitheagles Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2012, 09:37 PM
    MFJ means you pay less tax. If Turbotax isn't sophisticated enough for your situation, go to a human tax preparer or do it yourself with one of the excellent books out there. You'll save a lot more than the cost of Turbotax. BTW, if either of the states are community property states, then the state can tax half of the other spouse's income. Not a tax attorney so I don't know about NY and GA, but - there are about a million good books out there.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 4, 2012, 04:44 AM
    Unfortunately this question is 14 months old and relates to NY and GA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married filing jointly living in different states fl and ca? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife lives in CA and I live in Fl. If we file a MFJ return do we have to file a joint return in CA. Or will she File a mfs return for CA. I am retired militare and on Social Security. Please advise.

Married filing jointly - Living in NJ, one person working in NY [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a qn regarding taxes filing. Me and my spouse are living in NJ. I worked in NJ and lived in NJ My husband worked in NY and lived in NJ. We both filed federal jointly.

Married filing jointly from different states-F1 [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and me are international students and have F1 visas. My wife is a resident alien, lives in MN. I am a non-resident alien live in NY. We intend to file the tax under "married jointly" category. We decided to file my status as resident as per Publication 519 for Federal return. My problem is...

Married filing jointly from different states-F1 [ 4 Answers ]

My wife and me are international students and have F1 visas. My wife is a resident alien, lives in MN. I am a non-resident alien live in NY. We intend to file the tax under "married jointly" category. We decided to file my status as resident as of Publication 519 for Federal return. My problem is...

Filing status as Married Filing Jointly or Filing Separately [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in USA on L1 for the following time period: May 2006 to January 2007. August 2007 till Date. According to the substantial presence test, I completed my 183 days in US in November 2007. So during 2007 I was a dual status alien. My non-working spuose and year old...

View more questions Search