Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sambenny Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2011, 06:31 AM
    Why won't my 2000 vw jetta A/T transmission shift into 3rd gear
    I have a 2000 vw jetta 2.0 A/T trans and it won't shift into 3rd gear what could be my problem
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2011, 12:29 PM

Try changing the transmission fluid. If the problem persists, the 3rd gear clutch pack may have worn out.
    sambenny Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2011, 08:20 PM
    Comment on TxGreaseMonkey's post
    Does that mean I have to rebuild or replace the transmission
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2011, 06:57 AM

Most likely, if changing the fluid doesn't solve the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

VW Jetta Transmission hard to get to second gear [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, all, I just bought a 2003 Jetta without going through mechanical checkup. The car has quite a few missing parts and I thought I can fixed it. However just after three days the car developed more serious problems. It could not pass the second gear. After stepping on gas the RPM reached 6000, it...

Why is my transmission not shifting into 3rd gear in my 1996 Saturn SL2? [ 4 Answers ]

I recently got a 96 Saturn SL2 and the transmission was slipping. It was also leaking fluid. I fixed the leak. Why is it slipping?? What can I do?

What is the purpose of the manual 3rd gear for an automatic transmission? [ 2 Answers ]

I took a college class for automatic transmission and the purpose of the manual 3rd was not covered. I know that manual 1st is used for maximum engine braking under 40 mph when descending a hill, and manual 2nd is used for acquiring increased power when attempting to pass another vehicle. But I...

Jetta suddenly won't shift into Gear [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I am calling out to anyone who can give me a little guidance on what to do. I have a 2001 Volkswagen Jetta. This afternoon I was driving, had stopped at a red light, tried to shift into 1st gear to drive forward and my car was in reverse. Then I could not get it to shift into gear...

Why won't my transmission shift into 3rd gear? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1994 accord. When you have gone about a mile or so, the transmission will not shift into 3rd gear. It is an automatic. I have had numerous suggestions, but most were far fetched in my opinion. Do I need to just scrap it and cut my loss?

View more questions Search