Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janedoe20 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2011, 06:44 AM
    I drank 18 16oz of beer up to Sat. nightwill it show up on a urine test Friday mornin
    I drank 18 16oz of beer by Saturday night this past weekend. I am a female and about 177 pounds and have been drinking plenty of water. Is there a certain enzyme that can indicate you have drank alcohol up to 6 days and if so am I going to pass a urine test first thing Friday morning?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2011, 06:45 AM

You'll pass.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2011, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by janedoe20 View Post
    I drank 18 16oz of beer by saturday night this past weekend. I am a female and about 177 pounds and have been drinking plenty of water. Is there a certain enzyme that can indicate you have drank alcohol up to 6 days and if so am I going to pass a urine test first thing friday morning?
    It is actually a metabolite, ethyl glucuronide (EtG), that can be detected for an extended period after the alcohol has left your system. Even though you consumed a very large volume of alcohol the time between last drink and the test, 6 days, should ensure complete elimination of EtG. The only exception is if you have diminished liver capacity due to long-term heavy drinking. Otherwise, as Judy notes, there should be no problem with detection.

Mar 30, 2011, 08:33 AM
    Comment on DrBill100's post
    Thank you for the info. How about if I have to take the test tomorrow afternoon? Also, I quit drinking for 5 months then drank on and off last week which lead to the 18 beers between Friday and Saturday. Does that factor in?
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2011, 08:35 AM

DrBill, I'm going to hijack the thread (and probably be "told" about it) for a minute - can you estimate the level of intoxication when a person drinks 18 16-ounces in about 24 hours, weighs 177, is female? Just curious.
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2011, 10:09 AM

Alcohol metabolism is an ongoing process which begins with the first swallow. The total number of drinks consumed is less important than the rate of consumption. The liver metabolizes ethanol at a fixed rate and only when the rate of consumption exceeds the metabolic rate does ethanol accumulate in the circulatory system (blood alcohol content BAC) leading to impairment. So at the same time alcohol is being absorbed it is likewise being eliminated by the liver at the other end of the spectrum. By the time you consume your third drink the first drink has been eliminated (example based on normal rate of consumption)

There really is no precise method for calculating BAC. Individual metabolic rates vary greatly and then numerous factors influence the individual rate. One factor that is important but impossible to calculate (can only be assumed) is a history of heavy drinking. The liver has what I call "an overdrive system" called MEOS* that seems to develop following continued heavy drinking. MEOS increases metabolism by as much as 100%. So a social drinker will metabolize a drink in about an hour while a chronic drinker may metabolize the same amount in 25-30 minutes.

All of the BAC estimating schemes are based on population averages, (i.e. one drink per hour), and have only minimal benefit in individual cases. The foregoing involves the metabolism of ethanol.

EtG is a by-product of the metabolic process and has a longer biological life than the parent drug. The problem with calculating the half life of EtG is that it is related to an 1) unknown metabolic rate, 2) individuals produce EtG at varying rates and even the same individual may produce varying amounts from time to time. As a result the detection window for EtG is all over the board.

While ethanol metabolism has a very long history and voluminous research giving one more confidence in the averages, not so with EtG. Despite all of the outlandish claims there is very little supporting science. The small amount of research available is of very limited value, conducted on small groups often less than 20 subjects, has focused on males, unrepresentative groups (chronic alcoholic in detox), and failed to apply uniform criteria.

With all that being said, if you would like to calculate, in very broad terms, an ethanol elimination rate, here is a resource that includes more of the pertinent factors than most other calculators: Blood Alcohol Content Estimator from AODWiki

*Microsomal Ethanol Oxidizing System

Mar 30, 2011, 10:19 AM
    Thanks again...
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2011, 01:52 PM

Excellent - if it's not, that should be one of the postees at the top of the forum. Just what I was wondering about!

My ex-husband was an alcoholic, "dry" for a number of years, went back to drinking and had absolutely no capacity because he had damaged his liver earlier.
    marleyvigil Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2012, 02:02 PM
    I had 1 beer last night.today have to submit EtG.very worried if I will pass.need answer asap
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2012, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by marleyvigil View Post
    I had 1 beer last night.today have to submit etg.very worried if i will pass.need answer asap
    Can't tell you exactly. Too close.

However, the EtG created by 1 beer is usually detectable within a range of 18-21.6 hours (max). Could be as short as 8 hours.

If you will provide your age, height, weight and gender will try to figure a little closer based on g/kg. Also please be a bit more precise on the time.

Apr 13, 2012, 02:36 PM
    Thank u. I weigh 139. I am 44 yrs.thanks for your help. I have had cranberry juice, lots of water and protein ,will that help

Apr 13, 2012, 02:37 PM
    I am a hispanic female.I am only 5' 4''

Apr 13, 2012, 02:43 PM
    thank u. I weigh 139. I am 44 yrs.thanks for your help. I have had cranberry juice, lots of water and protein ,will that help
    I had beer about 10pm? I am only 5'4''. Hispanic female.

Apr 13, 2012, 02:46 PM
    I had beer about 10pm? I am only 5'4''. hispanic female.
    I have been very compliant with my ua/etg program but just had 1 beer with my husband if that.please help with any ideas.

Apr 13, 2012, 02:49 PM
    1 beer at 10pm .I am only a 5'4'' hispanic female.I have been very compliant with my program but had the 1 beer last night with my husband.please help with any ideas.will be doing EtG urine about 9pm tonight.
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2012, 02:55 PM
    One beer at 10 pm. What time did you take the test the following day? Also do you happen to know cutoff level of test, 100, 250, 500ng?

Added: I failed to notice the time of test you noted above... making the time from last drink to time of test at 23 hours. As I have previously noted the maximum detection period for one beer has been 20.6 hours. But that is based on very few studies and each study contained few subjects. So it's questionable. EtG testing is erratic, unpredictable and lacking necessary research.

Also checked by volume of alcohol in relation to your body weight. You consumed 0.22g/kg of body weight. The most authoritative study is Wojcik and Hawthorne, 2007, which only states detection under 24 hours. Not much help.

Based on all available evidence you should be EtG clear regardless of test cutoff. Not necessarily my prediction but based on all available information.

Please report back with your results.

Ref.

Wojcik & Hawthorne
    Ethylglucuronide (Dr. Greg Skipper's Blog)
    Clinical & Forensic Toxicology News (article not properly referenced)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I drank on Friday will I pass an EtG test on Monday [ 14 Answers ]

On Friday I had about 10 drinks no more but possibly less over the weekend I didn't exercise or drink huge amounts of water but and had a glass of cranberry juice before I went to bed my test was at 4:30 on Monday and I drink a little over a half gallon of water starting at about 3:00 ending at...

How long does beer show up in urine test [ 1 Answers ]

My friend is on probation, however he drank two beers on Wednesday night around 8 pm and has to take a urine test on Friday. Will the alcohol show up after 30 hours?

My friend snoted 2 hydrocodens sat and has a urine test today will she pass [ 1 Answers ]

She snorted 2 hydrocodens sat... and has a drug test today will she pass it My friend has to go for a urine drug test today and she snoted 2 5mg hydrocodens Saturday will she pass her test

Can alcohol free beer be detected in a urine test [ 1 Answers ]

At 0.5 percent can alcohol free beer be detected in a urine test? Also, how many of these beers at one time can possibly be detected in a urine test?

Drank beer on sat. Will I pee dirty on tues [ 3 Answers ]

I drank 6 beers on sat afternoon. Do you think I will pas EtG urine test on tues. I had a relaps in diversion therapy and need to know if 60 hours is enough time to eliminate a six pack of beer from an EtG urine test. Stopped sat. at 6:00 PM and was tested at 12:30 Tuesday.

View more questions Search