Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shannon3115 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2011, 05:33 PM
    Kohler flywheel magnets gone bad?
    16.5 hp kohler motor on a craftsman mower. Can the flywheel magnets go bad? If so how do you check them. We have replaced coil,elec box, switch. The gap is 0.010 on the coil. It's not on upside down. The keyway isn't sheered. My dad and I are usually pretty good on this kind of stuff and the magnets are the only thing we can figure. We've eliminated all the safety switches.

Thanks
    Shannon
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2011, 05:35 PM

It does happen. But not often. If they are hit hard with a hammer. Much like when trying to premove a flywheel in an improper manner... that can do it.

I have seen this happen on other types of magneto fired engines.

I'm not sure how you would test for a weak magnet however.

Mar 22, 2011, 07:18 PM
    The mower was running, went inside to get my hat before I started and when I came back out it died. Parking brake on, switch on. Thought it ran out of gas. Wasn't it. Checked and had very weak spark . Replaced spark plug. Not it. Replaced coil as the mower is 10 years old, thought it might be time. Not it. Local mower shop said little brain box. Not it. Bypassed all the switches. Not it. It has completely drove us crazy and the only thing left is the magnets. Would a stator have anything to do with this. I know its for charging, just grasping for staws.

Thanks
    Shannon

Mar 22, 2011, 07:19 PM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    The mower was running, went inside to get my hat before I started and when I came back out it died. Parking brake on, switch on. Thought it ran out of gas. Wasn't it. Checked and had very weak spark . Replaced spark plug. Not it. Replaced coil as the mower is 10 years old, thought it might be time. Not it. Local mower shop said little brain box. Not it. Bypassed all the switches. Not it. It has completely drove us crazy and the only thing left is the magnets. Would a stator have anything to do with this. I know its for charging, just grasping for staws.

Thanks
    Shannon
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2011, 05:02 AM

Charging systems on these typically are completely separate from the ignition so I doubt that's it.

Never heard of a sudden failure of the magnets... but it could have been gradual and finally hit that threshold it stopped working.

Where I saw this happen were on much older engines, 30+ years old. But since you eliminated everything else, like the plug, coil and everything else, it does seem to indicate that is possible.

I assume since it wasn't mentioned... you have no spark at all at the spark plug or it's a weak yelllow vs a sharp blue.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Mar 26, 2011, 09:25 AM

Hi,
    If you have that "Smart Start" module, well it "sucks" and could be the critter. Other than that, separate the engine from the frame (unplug the ignition ground) and I will bet it will start. Last machine I fixed took less than 1 minute this week, but it was not a rider; they take about two.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Still can not find flywheel timing marks kohler k321 s engine [ 7 Answers ]

Spent 3 hrs looking for S or T mark on flywheel & did not find any. Are marks stamped on face or flange or teeth of flywheel? Installed new ignition points & condenser & plug using method posted by DG & it runs fairly well , but I think timing is not correct.Thank YOU DG for your help

Flywheel timing marks location on kohler k321s engine. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kohler K321S engine I am trying to adjust ignition timing after installing new ignition points.I cannot find any marks on flywheel. This a 12 volt battery ignition system.The Kohler manual states there is a s & a t mark on flywheel,but can't find any on this one. Could anyone tell me where...

Remove the flywheel? KOHLER 25hp Lawn tractor [ 1 Answers ]

I need to remove the flywheel from my Kohler 25hp lawn mower/tractor. Having a heck of a time getting it off. Any suggestions? Do they make a tool to remove the flywheel? Or can I improvise? Let's hear some ideas, folks?:(

Magnets [ 3 Answers ]

I have magnets to keep kitchen cabinets closed. Two of the magnets have gotten very weak. How is it possible to restore the power of the magnet? Thank you!

Dodgehemi1 Can I glue magnets back in flywheel [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 12.5 horsepower Briggs motor. The magnets come loose from the inside of flywheel. Is it possible to glue them back in? Will it work?

View more questions Search