Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    noetemmelig Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2006, 03:50 PM
    Can I dye my black hair brown?
    I've been dying my hair black with permanent dye for about five years. The last time I dyed it was four months ago, and now I want to dye it dark brown. Can I just dye over it or do I have to get rid of the black first?
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Oct 2, 2006, 07:03 PM
    Yes, you can dye it over. Permanent hair color consists of both peroxide and ammonia, and can make hair darker or a few shades lighter.
    Sarahh93x Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2010, 10:27 AM
    The ;ast time I got rid of jet black hair was bleach am not sure about dying over I think it would take some time
    emilieboudrias Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2011, 06:11 PM
    Comment on Sarahh93x's post
    Did it turn out to be bleach blonde? Because I have the same problem but I want dirty blonde hair not BLEACH blonde! Please reply ASAP!
    HLBucior Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2011, 07:37 PM

You should lighten it a little first even if its just to an orangish color. Color cannot lift color. Unless it's a light color and your only going a shade or two lighter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP! Brown hair color turned my hair a dark red! [ 31 Answers ]

So my girlfriend helped me color my hair to hide a few gray hairs coming in. Its usually a light to med brown, thought I might go darker. We used Loreal excellence crème ( Medium Brown). It actuall turned my hair into almost a dark redish brown, looks like I have naturally dark red hair! HELP! ...

HELP: Going from Black Hair to Brown Hair [ 42 Answers ]

Ok, firstly, Id like to apologies as I realise there are many topics on this forum about this, however, they have only confused me more, as some say that it is not possible to do it without bleaching, and some say that there are hair dye removal products that can do it. I naturally have dark...

From black to brown hair again [ 3 Answers ]

Which is more effective, Colorfix or Color Zap and which is more gentle to the hair? Thanks, Maureen :confused:

I want to dye the underneath of my hair brown... [ 3 Answers ]

I want to dye the underneath of my hair dark brown and keep the top blonde. I have no idea how to do this. Do I make a straight line underneath and dye that or is it more specific than that?? I have layers in my so I am not sure where to do the dye. Any help would be great.

From Black to brown [ 1 Answers ]

A friend wants to know how to lift black from her hair to dye it brown without bleaching it-- and she can't afford a professional--any ideas?

View more questions Search