Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Meggie13 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2011, 10:14 PM
    How to deal with the annoying children next door?
    I live in Miami Fl. and I have this family next door with 2 annoying children. They are twins ( a boy and a girl that are 9 years old)that are constantly at the door asking to play with our 3 kids, who are also annoyed with their behavior. They come over 3-9 times a day (even when there is no car outside) and occasionally once every 20 minutes. We turn them away, but then they ask for one of the children to come to the door. Sometimes when we say 'no' they push us aside to see in. We try to keep the door open a foot to avoid this but they still manage to get by. THey also ask for food (complaining they have none at home) even when we see their mom bring in bags of food. To make matters worse they ring the doorbell constantly until we answer or they will ring once, knock over and over. They always stare into our home from the window and watch us without us noticing. We have confronted the parents but they don't seem to do anything about it.

We have put up with it for 5 years and want it to stop. We are not moving, but any advice will be helpful. Thank you.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2011, 10:50 PM

Well its not going to stop with you complaining about them. These children need HELP not complaints.
    If these children are out all hours of the day, starved for attention, no food at home, then you need to call CPS and ask them to find out what is going on at that house.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2011, 11:22 PM

If these two children have been knocking at your door for 5 years that would mean they started at age 4. I would have serious concerns about children between the ages of 4 and 9 who have enough freedom to knock on my door between 3 and 9 times a day. These kids are needy and maybe you don't want to get involved, but if it were me (and actually has been many times) I would be inviting those children in, feeding them, talking to them, listening to them, playing with them, etc. Just because their mom is bringing in bags of food doesn't mean that the children are being fed appropriately either. I've taken in kids who weren't eating because their parents didn't prepare their meals. If you allow the children into your home you have the opportunity to teach them such much needed social skills if nothing else. It sounds to me that they are very lonely, have little supervision, no social skills and the parents don't give a hoot where they are or how they are behaving. If you invite them in you might be making a dramatic difference in their lives. It takes a community to raise a child. If you have spoken with the parents and nothing has changed in 5 years then I think it's safe to say they probably aren't the best parents in the world. Personally, I think it's sad that you see these kids as annoying. Kids can only reach out in ways such as this. I think their behavior is a symptom and I hope that someone cares enough to take them under their wing and learn the true needs of these kids. If you aren't prepared to do that, then I guess the only option is to actually tell these kids that you don't want them to come over any more. Many years ago I had twin girls and their older brother at my house all the time. They would knock on my door early in the morning and would stay at my home all day long until dark if I let them. I spoke to the mother and she seemed half decent, but in actual fact she was a prostitute who was heavily into drugs/drinking. The kids had to fend for themselves. One of the girls was an A student and very good in English. The other little girl was a talented artist. The brother was violent and angry (although he always behaved at my home). I found ways to change their lives. I helped the young lad get into Boy Scouts. I encouraged the artistic girl to work towards attending a school of the arts. The list goes on. Many years later one of the girls found me and told me what a difference I had made in her life. I taught her to wash properly, to do her hair, to get up in time for school and, most importantly, to tell her story to the powers that be so her life could improve. Treat them the way you hope other people would treat your children. I feel in my gut that these kids need you more than you realize. I hope you live up to their expectations

Hugs, Didi
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 15, 2011, 11:33 PM

We have kids in our neighborhood that used to do the same thing. The door was constantly being knocked on, or the doorbell rang. Once they just let themselves in, went to my daughters room and started playing with her toys.

That's when I went to talk to the parents.

Turns out the parents were getting a divorce, and it was a mess. The kids didn't feel comfortable in their own home anymore, and they didn't know where to turn.

So we started having them over. They turned out to be great kids. We set down ground rules, told them that ringing the doorbell once was enough, but if my kids didn't want to come out to play, or we couldn't have them inside, that that was that, don't continue coming over every 10 minutes.

As time went on our kids grew apart, the divorce was finalized, and all is well.

These kids are crying out for attention. They need help. They just want a bit of love from someone. Instead of viewing them as brats, try remembering that they're only children.
    Meggie13 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2011, 01:37 PM
    I appreciate your help and I will take your advice, thank you.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2011, 03:37 PM

You are most welcome. I actually think that you can also teach your children some valuable lessons in all of this as well. I hope these kids are all right. I appreciate that you were willing to hear us on this subject. Thank you!
    Pets Expert

Mar 16, 2011, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Meggie13 View Post
    I appreciate your help and I will take your advice, thank you.
    This warms my heart.

Too many times someone posts asking for advice, and when we give it the poster doesn't want to listen. I thank you for listening, and for taking what we've said to heart.

Please let us know how it all goes. :)
    Pets Expert

Mar 19, 2011, 05:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by angelnote101 View Post
    MOVE!! Its not worth staying their if their going to take your food and ring your door bell 10,000 times a day.
    I guess you didn't bother to read the OP's post.

We are not moving
    Also, where did she say that they ring the door bell 10,000 times a day? Is that even possible?

The OP has been given great advice, advice according to her post, and she's stated that she's going to give that advice a try. Telling her to move when she clearly stated that wasn't going to happen, is unhelpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I deal with abusive adult children? [ 8 Answers ]

I became a single parent, through divorce, when my oldest was 16 and my youngest was 6. There are 5 adult children involved. I admit to doing things in my young/stupid years that were hurtful to everyone, including me. I was a mother at 16 and simply not equipt to be one. Also, my husband, at the...

How do I deal with my children who now hate me for being who I am. [ 9 Answers ]

Im 42 yrs old I have 3 children 11yr old daughter and 13yr old boy/girl twins. I recently came out to them over the christmas holiday after being divorce from their father for 5 1/2yrs. I never dated anyone when they were with me it was always the kids time. I am now in a seriously committed...

How do I deal with my children after their daddy leaves [ 9 Answers ]

Hey everyone. Well I have 3 children. Their ages are 4 2 1. and their daddy is leaving back to Georgia for basic training(he is in the army) . He got hurt when he left in may and they sent him home for 30 days. Well me and their father is getting a divorce but we are still friends. But anyway when...

How to deal with adult children with problems [ 6 Answers ]

Apologies for long post in advance!! ;) My daughter (43) and son (46) have never had stability in their lives since teens. I had to leave their physician father who impoverished me then took the kids at 9 and 12. I got the 9-year-old back in custody suit. Until the "split" my children were just...

How to deal with ex over children [ 7 Answers ]

My name is Cathy and I typically answer questions on this site. I've asked a few questions and been rewarded with great responses. Tonight I am dealing with my ex-husband who is from India and is Catholic. We have been divorced for about 9 yr. As time goes by... he is getting more and more...

View more questions Search