Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tweet5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2011, 09:38 PM
    What wrong when your water heater won't keep the water hot?
    I have a electric water heater and the water is either really hot or extremley cold. At times I can't get hot water and my husband has to go out and hit the reset button on the water heater. What could be the problem? And when it does get hot, it is extremely HOT! I have the knob set over on the cold side and still get very hot water. Any info would be of help.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 06:18 AM

Hi Tweet...

There is an issue with the thermostats or one of the elements.

If you guys are not familiar with electrical testing and service work then I recommend that you hire a qualified plumber to do this work... read on.

The thermostats are super cheap to buy... like $10.00 a piece so I would suggest swapping both the upper and the lower thermostats out no matter what you do.

The other issue will be whether one of the heating elements needs to be replaced. This can be determined using an OHMS test or a continuity test. In most cases, a continuity test is easiest for a homeowner that has an electrical tester that tests for continuity.

Here, power would be shut off to the heater and then you would confirm power off using a working electrical tester. A working tester means that the electrical tester is used on a live circuit to confirm it is working properly, OK? Once power is confirmed OFF to the water heater the two wires going to each element are removed from each element and the element is tested for continuity by testing across the element screws. If continuity is present then the elements are fine. If continuity isn't present at an element then that element needs to be replaced.

If the elements test OK then replace the upper and lower thermostats and you should be all set.

If you find an element doesn't have continuity then pop back and we can discuss how to swap the element out.

More questions? Let us know, OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water coming out of hot water side only cold... hot water heater is working [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I need help bad. I am a woman writing to you whose husband has given up on the problem and will no longer work on this. He doesn't care if we have hot water cause he can take a shower at work. I cannot. It is the dead of winter here in Colorado. We had frozen pipes that burst in the wall...

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

My hot water heater won't stay lit. [ 3 Answers ]

When I try to relite the pilot it lites but as soon as I let go of the button it goes back out. I've tried replacing the thermol couple but I still had the same results.I just got the water heater from a friend its only a year old and it's a whirlpool.. I've had it hooked up for 5 days before it...

I have very low hot water pressure from my hot water heafrom an electric water heater [ 0 Answers ]

I have very low water pressure from my hot water heater. I can't find anything wrong.. any ideas?

No hot water in shower and water heater affects both cold and hot water flow [ 1 Answers ]

1. No hot water coming from shower even though there is hot water coming from face basin in same bathroom and throughout the house( moen plumbing) 2. when water heater valve to house is turned off the cold water and hot water from shower does not flow, yet in other faucets throughout the house...

View more questions Search