Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    llonka Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2011, 03:31 AM
    Sore itchy bumps in vagina area
    Hello!

About three weeks ago I found two sore, itchy bumps down there. One is right on my vagina entrance the other toward the top near my ****. I went to my gyno, and was tested for herpes and syphilis, given a prescription for Cipro and sent home. Tests were negative for both and all the nurse had to say was it's normal flora. Last night I found that I have another sore on my vagina lip. It's close to the hair, but not in the hair. Seems like the antibiotic didn't do anything. The one closest to my vagina opening isn't a sore anymore just itchy. The one at the top bleeds sometimes, and the new one is just really raw and sore. Usually only hurts when I wipe, and no pain during urination. They kind of look like pimples.

Hoping somebody can give me some answers, I can't afford to make another trip to the gyno right now. I don't have insurance and it cost about $200 last time.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 11, 2011, 03:36 AM

I don't know what the nurse meant by 'its normal flora'. Are you saying that the other one is near your clitorial area? Did they take blood tests?

Sorry, but we can't possibly diagnose what the problem is. How can we? Just by your description is not a way of diagnosing.

Sounds like what you have is spreading if there is another outbreak. I know you don't want to hear this, but if I were you I would go to another doctor and get a second opinion because I don't like the first one because you were not given a conclusive answer, only antibiotics; and antibiotics by the way, have to be taken till the last one to work properly.

Tick

Mar 11, 2011, 03:58 AM
    Comment on tickle's post
    Yes it is near the clitorial area. She did not take blood tests. From the culture they took, nothing was abnormal and came back that all that was in it is normal flora. It's not draining clear fluid like herpes, it's pus.

Guess I should mention that I have been married five years, and have only been with one other guy. Husband has only been with me.

I guess I'm just asking for opinions as I know I will have to see the gyno again. :/
    Expert

Mar 11, 2011, 04:07 AM

Sure the vaginal area could be within its normal Ph, that is what she means by normal flora. A pap test cannot detect STDs or syphilis. So why did she say you have neither? She didn't do a blood test. I think she should have done a blood test (come back in a few days) so she would have been able to tell you what the outbreak was. The pap only detects cervical cancer, so were you there for your usual pap smear?

I know you would like opinions. I am a healthcare professional, so trying my best to give you some idea of what's going on, but as you can understand, that is quite difficult under the circumstances.

It is a common belief that a pap smear can detect STDs or syphilis, not true. Did she just take a smear from your vaginal wall ?

Tick

Mar 11, 2011, 04:08 AM
    Comment on tickle's post
    Forgot to mention that she all told me was it is an abscess, whatever that means.
    Oh, and I faithfully took the antibiotics, all are gone now.
    Thank you for trying to help me.
    Expert

Mar 11, 2011, 04:10 AM

An abscess is a large pus filled pimple. It is absolutely not uncommon to get these in the pubic area. They are very sore, usually break on their own.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 11, 2011, 08:09 AM

Normal flora means normal bacteria. Each of us has bacteria that lives in and on our bodies that is normal to us and does not cause us any harm, hence normal flora.

llonka, do you shave your genital area?
    Expert

Mar 11, 2011, 03:05 PM

Just give me a reddie J and get it over with. Normal flora could mean pH level in the vaginal cavity. This 'nurse' didn't seem to know a lot about tests for STDs and syphilis. These tests cannot be done with a pap test. Syphilis is either done with a blood test, or in more extreme cases drawing off fluid from the spinal cord.

You asked about OP shaving, well yes, we all get that little irritation from shaving and they are small pimples filled with pus and they go away. Abscess as you know is something a lot bigger. I have had them one or two times in a l0 year period and don't realize I have until you reach the soar spot when cleaning during shower. They break by themselves and go away. Nothing to do with shaving.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 11, 2011, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    JNormal flora could mean pH level in the vaginal cavity.
    Normal flora could mean pH level, but it doesn't. Normal flora is a microorganism that lives in or on our bodies that causes us no harm. Have you ever heard of GBS (Group Beta Strep)? It's a bacteria that lives in the vaginal canal of many women that is only dangerous to an infant during delivery.

This 'nurse' didnt seem to know a lot about tests for STDs and syphilis. These tests cannot be done with a pap test. Syphilis is either done with a blood test, or in more extreme cases drawing off fluid from the spinal cord.
    I will agree with this.

You asked about OP shaving, well yes, we all get that little irritation from shaving and they are small pimples filled with pus and they go away. Abscess as you know is something a lot bigger. I have had them one or two times in a l0 year period and dont realize I have until you reach the soar spot when cleaning during shower. They break by themselves and go away. Nothing to do with shaving.
    Abscesses can also be caused by shaving. Say a woman has an ingrown hair and she shaves over the blister with a dirty razor or dirty water. There are more reasons than one that causes abscesses.

Remember Tick, I make my profession in women's health. I am the doctor's eyes and ears at night. I ONLY deal in women's health and mostly the pubic region.

The Normal Bacterial Flora of Humans
    Expert

Mar 12, 2011, 03:56 AM

Yes, I know J, sorry. I get angry when someone isn't diagnosed properly; shoddy workmanship. The OP had an abscess in your clitoral area. I would freak out if I found that in that particular spot. Especially when I absolutely knew I had been with no one but my husband (but then you have wonder where the hubby has been too). OP was given an antibiotic, told she didn't have STDs or syphilis, without proper testing, and sent home. I guess we can't say anymore about this, there is just no sense in doing so. Only hope the antibiotics take her problem away.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Itchy white pimple like bumps near vigina area [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a sixteen year old female. I don't know what's wrong with me. Recently, I found a small bump with a white head(similar to a pimple) near my vigina area. I went and search for it but nothing seems to fit my case. These bumps keep spreading and they itch really bad. After a while they start...

Little itchy bumps in vagina? [ 5 Answers ]

Okay so I am a 16 yr old female. I have 2 small pimple-like bumps on the inside of my vagina. I have not had sex in the last 2-3 years and was clean the last time I had sex. What could this be? I changed my feminine wash and have tried vagisil. I'm not sure if the Vagisil was working or not....

Small itchy bumps women pubic area [ 2 Answers ]

Hi wondered if sumone could help me I ave itching and small bumps in my gential area I'm a women haven't had unprotected sex and can't quit get me head round this please help :(

Bumps on vagina area [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 bumps on the left outside part of my vagina. They are not red and they do not hurt they are a clear color. What could it be?

Itchy, irritated skin and a few small bumps entrance to vagina [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping someone can help me. I am making a Dr. appointment tomorrow to get checked out, but was checking to see if anyone would know what this is? I have painful and itchy-feeling urination, but the rest of the time I just itch like crazy all over the genital area with two bumps on the...

View more questions Search