Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pierrrre Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 11:50 AM
    Oil furnace kick in and stop when water temp is high
    Good afternoon,

My house is heated with an oil furnace providing heat to a hot water baseboard system. For the last little while, I noticed the burner kicking-in for a few second when the thermostat send the signal (close the circuit) and stop with a second or two. When it does that the water temperature is already at its maximum setting. After the water circulate and the temperature lower to the minimum setting the furnace start and run as it should be. Before, when the signal was sent by the thermostat to start, the water circulating pump would run until the water had reached a minimum value setting and only then the burner would start. Does anybody know why the burner kick in and out so early in the cycle and what I can do to stop this behavior?

Thanks

P.S. all my themostats (3) are simple two wire, mercury contact units. No fancy electronic here.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Sorry, I would need a detailed schematic of wiring to tell why this could be, there are to many ways these things are wired in the factory and in the field.
    Pierrrre Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2007, 05:33 AM
    Problem solved,

I did more investigation last night and found that two of the three zones valve's switch where not making contact properly. One was just too dirty (soot from contact spark) and the other was only making contact as the actuator was activated. At the end of the actuator course the contact would terminate and the burner stop. This is why the furnace would only start for a second or so before shutting down. I cleaned the contacts and every thing is working ti-gi-di-boo.

Thanks Northern Heat for your reply

Have a nice cold winter...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman Furnace won't kick in [ 5 Answers ]

Hi have been reading the various posts for a couple hours now. When my Goodman GMNT-080-48 forced air starts up, all appears well on start up sequence ; blower runs and igniter heats up and then turns off. Blower never comes on and the heat never seems to get going full. The little red light...

My intertherm furnace pilot lights but furnace won't kick on [ 5 Answers ]

I need some diagnostic help. We have a full propane tank. A new burner plate (last year) and the blower works. We light the pilot but the knob should pop up after one minute thus lighting the furnace. It won't pop up. What part should we replace? The furnace is a 17 year old Intertherm MGH...

My furnace will not kick on! [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace will work regulary sometimes, but sometime it does not kick on by itself you have to turn the thermostat to off then back on and then it will run until it meets the tempature setting. But then when its time for it to kick back on it does the same thing. We have replaced the thermostat 3...

Furnace won't kick on [ 1 Answers ]

My pilot light is lit on my furnace but the furnace won't kick on. I changed the thermostat and it did fire up but after running a short while it started to blow only cold air. Can anyone tell me what could possibly be wrong?

My Furnace won't kick on even after I've manually primed it 10 times [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know why I can't seem to keep the furnace running I prime it it stays on for 2 minutes then shuts down even before the blower starts . What's up with the red light near the reset button

View more questions Search