Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IreneClaire Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Computer won't go on. On button light flashes.
    I went to use my computer after it had been on all day and the power button was flashing. Checked all connections, cleaned out dust. Still no power. Help please.
    DIETGENT Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Jan 31, 2007, 11:02 PM
    If a PC idels it could go into habernation try unpluging it for 5 or 10 min then restore power
    Did this do anything ?[
    IreneClaire Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2007, 04:09 AM
    We tried everything. Someone said it could be the power supply. How do we know if it's the motherboard? Don't want to spend too much money. My husband is going to try a new power supply. What do you think? Thanks!
    BananaPie Posts: 59, Reputation: 7

Feb 1, 2007, 06:22 AM
    In my experience, the power supply is usually the culprit if the machine is absolutely dead.

What I do before replacing anything is start with a 'bare bones' system. Meaning, you disconnect everything from the machine (monitor, printer, network, speakers, external devices,) and disconnect everything that you have added to the board (PCI/AGP cards, added RAM, new internal hard drive, USB controllers, anything that didn't come with the machine). You should end up just your tower and your power cord.

If it does work with everything removed, start re-connecting everything 1 component at a time. If it stops working when you re-connect a certain item, then chances are it's that item.

But if it doesn't come on after removing everything, then most likely it's a power supply problem or your mobo is shot. Every once in a while you'll get a bad power cord, but this is pretty rare.

Anyway, between those 2 components, the power supply is generally the first to go. Especially if you have a lot of dust (or a bug problem) in the area where you computer was.

Now, trying to figure out which of these 2 is bad is kind of difficult unless you have an extra of either lying around. Personally, I've never actually seen a bad motherboard cause the entire machine to die unless it's a custom build. Usually the machine will hang (can't POST), repeatedly restart at boot, give light or sound codes, or illuminate your keyboard LEDs to where they can't be toggled.

As for the power supply, if you noticed any kind of surge (you can sense it) or popping when connecting or disconnecting the power cord - it's bad or on it's way out.

I think a new power supply is the best place to start if you've tested all other components by process of elimination. Hopefully your husband knows what he's doing and he doesn't end up frying the mobo anyway while replacing the power supply.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 1, 2007, 07:33 AM
    If a light was flashing some power was being supplied so a PS problem is unlikely. To test the motherboard you will need to take it into a shop.
    BananaPie Posts: 59, Reputation: 7

Feb 1, 2007, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    If a light was flashing some power was being supplied so a PS problem is unlikely. To test the motherboard you will need to take it into a shop.
    This isn't entirely accurate. A bad power supply can create a whole host of problems, many of them never resulting in a loss of power.

Irene: You should elaborate more on "flashing light" and "Still no power". These contradict, unless "flashing light" was the last thing you saw before the machine completely died.

Tell your husband to open the unit and look for any misplaced or lose screws. Also check for a burnt smell or any burn marks around components.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 1, 2007, 09:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaPie
    You should elaborate more on "flashing light" and "Still no power". These contradict, unless "flashing light" was the last thing you saw before the machine completely died.
    That was my point. If a light is flashing, then the PC is getting some power. Yes its possible that some of the leads are working and others not working. Or the PS is supplying power erratically, But those are unusual circumstances. So a PS problem is "unlikely" as I said.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor and computer flashing yellow light [ 4 Answers ]

My monitor and computer stays in power save mode and I'm stuck at what to do. I've tried shutting the entire system down by turning off everything. It then comes back on green (the monitor) but the computer light remains yellow (flashing). Can someone advise me on what to do PLEASE!!

Honda accord lx sport light flashes [ 2 Answers ]

I have a honda accord lx 2.2 automatic. The sport light flashes on the dash constantly. The car has great power when you first take off and once it hits second gear it just muggs out no power does anyone know what this could be thanks.

Computer won't boot, but power light blinks [ 11 Answers ]

So I have this computer. It worked just fine for a while. But now it starts up, boots up into Windows just fine. After about 2 minutes or so, the computer will just randomly turn off. The power light will start blinking, constantly, once a second or so. I hit the power button, nothing happens. I...

PC won't start hdd light flashes [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to fix a PC for a friend. The power supply had blown, so I have replaced that no problem. But the problem that was occurring before the PSU was that when you shut down the PC it all shuts down OK but the HDD light continues to flash until you completely remove power to the PC....

View more questions Search