Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    littlechamp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Shoplifting Penalties
    So I've just started studying law, I've taken a couple criminal justice classes, but this one has me a little... off. :confused: My boyfriend just recently got a ticket for shoplifting and possession in Colorado. The amount of things shoplifted was under $20.00 and he's a first time offender. He has a clean record in other words. Now I know what will happen with possession but as far was shop lifting I'm not sure. I assume he will get a heavy fine, maybe community service but it won't be a big deal seeing as he's a first timer. Not only that but he just got a ticket, he wasn't arrested. So does anyone know how intense his penalty could be? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 31, 2007, 01:10 PM
    Its hard for use to judge what a local court will do. But generally first offenders don't get jail time, especially for a minor offense.
    littlechamp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 01:15 PM
    I didn't think it'd be anything major, I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else too Thanks so much for your answer!
    DIETGENT Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Jan 31, 2007, 09:58 PM
    It is a misstaminor $1,000 fine and or 1 year in jail moast lickely with a clean record a small fine "slap on the wrist" they allso have a class they can make you take its called something like "reponsability class" don't worry unless he has priors
    robynhgl Posts: 112, Reputation: 25

Feb 1, 2007, 08:29 AM
    He will likely have to go to court over this. In most cases the Prosecutor will be there to talk to the defendants prior to going before the judge. If the Prosecutor has a copy of your boyfriend's record AND your boyfriend presents himself well (dress' neatly, speaks properly, curtiously and respectfully) the Prosecutor can ask the charges be pled down to a lower charge and/or the penalites (costs) lowered.

Good Luck to your boyfriend... however, I do think that you need to take a good look at who you are making the choice to be with. You seem like an intelligent young lady who has enough focus and ambition to further your studies; in the field of law no less. While I'm sure your boyfriend is a great guy in all other aspects, his behaviour can be detrimental to your own future and chosen profession. What happens if he is pulled over, found to possess drugs and you are with him? You can be charged also--which could exclude you from having a career in law enforcement if that's what you're leaning toward.

I'm just a Mom, but I do have children--not quite old enough for dating and college, I just see things from the perspective of a person who has been around long enough to understand that there are some mistakes that cannot be taken back. You have a long and bright future ahead of you--don't darken your prospects to be with someone who does not share your moral values. Sorry for harping... LOL!
    DIETGENT Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Feb 1, 2007, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Its hard for use to jusdge what a local court will do. But generally first offenders don't get jail time, especially for a minor offense.

Misdemeanor better. Shoplifting Penalties I HAVE SEEN JUDGES GIVE 1 YR FOR PETTY W/A PRIOR. MY EX BUNKIE WAS ONE.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

QDRO and penalties [ 2 Answers ]

My husband wants a divorce. He will need to QDRO part of his 401K to me to buy me out of our house. I will need that money to get my own place. Who has to pay the early withdrawal penalties; him or me? He says there is no penalty involved for either side. Is this true? Barbara

Different Death Penalties [ 6 Answers ]

How many different Death Penalties are there?

401k penalties [ 2 Answers ]

I just lost my job after 32 years... what is the best way to handle my 401k without losing everything to taxes/penalties... I will need to withdraw some money to pay off some debt... answer needed asap thanks

401K Early Withdrawal Penalties? [ 11 Answers ]

Hello. I have a question about early withdrawal of my 401k due to changing employers. I am fully vested at my current company. I took a loan out from my 401k probably 6-8 months ago for personal reasons (not mortgage, etc.). Here are the details for that: I took out a loan of $2,868.01 and...

Penalties and interests [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anyway to know from IRS directly how much money you own in interests and penalties for overdue taxes right away without waiting to get a bill in the mail ? I know that there are software that will allow you to calculate estimated penalities and interests but I am talking to know the...

View more questions Search