Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dabears2009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2009, 08:08 AM
    Trouble shooting craftsman riding lawn mower
    Have an 18 hp 42" cut craftsman riding mower (Briggs and Stratton engine) model 917.273762. The problem started three weeks ago. I was mowing and after an hour or so the engine started to bog down like it was getting too much gas. If I idled it lower it would continue to run. When I would ty to get it to run at normal speed to mow it would bog down again. Two weeks ago it started and ran fine for 45 minutes before it would once again bog down. (like the engine was flooded). It would continue to run at low idle. This week, the same problem after a half hour of mowing. It's not the gas because the borrowed mower is running fine with the same gas. I've changed the fuel, air, and oil filters earlier this spring. I changed the spark plug (all oem parts). It's like something is getting too hot and shutting it down. I don't know... help...
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 25, 2009, 08:37 AM

Hi,
    I looked up your machine. With the engine you have, it sounds like fuel starvation. Inspect the fuel filter and bottom of tank for trash. It would be unlikely that it is ignition or flooding (though not impossible) because of the engine type and time span. An alternate possibility is that the valve timing is being affected by heat; I think it unlikely since the valves on your engine generally require one adjustment during the lifespan of the engine and your symptoms are opposite of the expected problems (valve clearance(s) too tight rather than too loose.)
    Peace,
    Clarke
    dawgpound56 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2010, 01:37 PM

Hi, I have a craftmans riding lawn mower model #917.272761, a few weeks ago I was cutting grass and when I turned a corner it sounded like it was running out of gas, I check the tank and it was still half full, then I checked the fuel filter and it was clear. Then I noticed that the choke was closed so I thought there was a return spring issue so I bought a repair kit and that sloved the choke staying closed problem. But then I thought the plug probably fouled since the thing was flooded so I replaced the plug. Still won't start even if I put gas manually in the carb. So I pulled the plug and left it out to see if it was getting spark, Not enough I am thinking. So I'm now thinking I need to replace the Magneto-Armature. The wire to the spark plug looks burnt and melted. But before I'm going to spend the $55 to get one I did take a compression test even though the engine turns over really slow sometimes and other times it turns over fast. The compression I got was a little over 120 lbs. Is this enough to have the proper combustion to run? Please advise.
    motormasterkmb Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2011, 08:38 PM
    I have a mtd Briggs and that problem happened to me all I did was adjust the mixture screw
    doberman139 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2013, 07:57 PM
    When I engage my mowind deck nothing happens ! It's a 1996 craftsman 36 inche cut

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman DRM 500 Murray riding lawn mower [ 8 Answers ]

My father in law just bought a Murray DRM500 riding lawn mower, sorry but I'm not sure of the model as yet but I think it's a 502-255290. It sounds good, runs great as long as it's in REVERSE. That's the problem, it will not go FORWARD. He thinks it's a cable problem, but no one knows anything...

Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower [ 2 Answers ]

My brother gave me his old lawn mower, and whenever I ask him a question about it, his response is "Figure it out Blondie". Im not a dumb blonde and Ive figured out most of the controls, excep two. One is a screw knob on the left hand side of the sterring wheel, and the other is a long metal stick...

Diagram for replacing lawn mower belt on Sears Craftsman 4000 Riding Mower [ 9 Answers ]

I need a diagram on how to replace a belt on the Sears Craftsman II 4000 riding mower

Craftsman 14.5 hp riding lawn mower [ 3 Answers ]

I bought it used it seemed OK,but now I have loss of power.I NOW have a brand new battery.What can I do to the engine or carburator to fix problem?How do I properly adjust carb?Should I overhaul the engine?I haven't found a rebuild kit for my B&S engine(14.5) Any help would be great.Somone told me...

View more questions Search