Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whitey003 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2011, 04:47 PM
    Engine hesitation during acceleration
    I have a 2003 hyundai tiburon 2.7 V6 and the engine gets herky jerky during acceleration I have a cold air intake and have had to clean the mass air flow sensor a few times but it doesn't seem to be that I had this type of hesitation in the engine before and the check engine light came on and the code was missfire so I changed the plugs and wires and it was fixed but this time its not as bad and no check engine light whatcha think ,thanks justin
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2011, 05:20 PM

Are the plugs the same ones that originally came with the car? Were they gapped to spec? Did you lightly coat the porcelein portion of the plugs, and the top electrode, with dielectric grease?

I only recommend pleated paper air filters. Oil impregnated air filters play havoc with MAF Sensors. I wouldn't be surprised if the MAF Sensor has been damaged.
    whitey003 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2011, 05:31 PM
    Comment on TxGreaseMonkey's post
    They where they same plugs and gapped to spec but it was last year when I changed the plugs I know I need to clean the air intake filter its been a rough winter and I know its probably dirty but could that cause the hesitation during acceleration
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2011, 08:16 PM

Many aftermarket cold intake system air filters are not as effective as OEM filters. Therefore, MAF Sensors are more easily contaminated, which can definitely affect performance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2000 accord v-6 engine hesitation on acceleration [ 1 Answers ]

What causes hesitation on a 2000 honda accord v-6 when pressing accelerator, then all of a sudden it revs up and takes off. Does not do it all the time. Usually when engine is cold.

Intermittent engine click during start of acceleration [ 3 Answers ]

2007 Mustang GT, Automatic transmission. Engine equipped with Variable Valve/Cam timing.(lash adjuster on engine valves) Every once in a while during the beginning of acceleration, I hear a click, usually 3 to 5 times in a row and then all is quiet. Doesn't do this all the time, just once in a...

Hesitation when engine is cold [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 93 cutlas ciera with a 3.3 eng. Here lately it has a real bad hesitation when the engine is cold. Checked injectors with a volt meter they all read the same also did a hearing test to see if they were clicking , they all sounded pretty much the same. Cleaned spark plugs an regaped them it...

B&S engine idles, but bogs and dies on acceleration [ 1 Answers ]

This is an 8 hp B&S horizontal shaft motor. Appears to be a pulsa jet carb. Been sitting 2 years. Pulled carb and cleaned. Looked at diapham, etc. It starts fine. Engine will speed up with opening the idle screw. Open the throttle and it bogs/dies. Hand feed gas to carb when opening the...

Pontiac grand am 98 se 2.4 engine hesitation [ 7 Answers ]

Having trouble with my car. When it is on a red light or stop sign or even on drive position it Likes chokes like its not giving fuel. I tap the gas pedal and it goes. Also, When starting my car it cranks but I have to press the gas pedal 1 time to start. It doesn't give me a hard time in the...

View more questions Search