Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melissakay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 05:58 PM
    Hot water in shower not getting HOT!
    The water in my master shower will not get hot unless I turn the water on in the bathtub also. The same goes for the sinks in the master bath. So every morning, I have to take a shower with the separate tub running at the same time. It seems as if there is not enough water flow to get/keep the water hot in the shower without the other source of water. Even when I have the bathtub running, the water in the shower gets hot but only when I have the hot water knob turned on all the way and the cold water completely off.
    My husband noticed that when he took a shower with the washing machine running that the shower got really hot. We just bought this house a month ago and have been calling it "Money Pit" because of the lack of hot water, our heater just broke, and when it rains really hard water leaks into our dining room! Please tell me that there is an easy fix to the hot water problem! I hate taking lukewarm showers every morning and then going out to a house without a heater! I appreciate any suggestions :-)
    Eve 1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 31, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by melissakay
    The water in my master shower will not get hot unless I turn the water on in the bathtub also. The same goes for the sinks in the master bath. So every morning, I have to take a shower with the separate tub running at the same time. It seems as if there is not enough water flow to get/keep the water hot in the shower without the other source of water. Even when I have the bathtub running, the water in the shower gets hot but only when I have the hot water knob turned on all the way and the cold water completely off.
    My husband noticed that when he took a shower with the washing machine running that the shower got really hot. We just bought this house a month ago and have been calling it "Money Pit" b/c of the lack of hot water, our heater just broke, and when it rains really hard water leaks into our dining room! Please tell me that there is an easy fix to the hot water problem! I hate taking lukewarm showers every morning and then going out to a house without a heater!! I appreciate any suggestions :-)
    I know this is not the problems that you are having but recently the heaters in two rooms were not getting hot. The pipes were warm near the boiler but as the water got about two feet from the boiler the temperature was cold. My husband changed one of the pump connected to the boiler and now the heaters work. My advice is that if you can get a professional to diagnose the problem, then you can decide if you or someone you know can fix it.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2007, 06:20 PM
    You said that it seemed like there was not enough water going through the pipes to keep the water from cooling off. That is probably one of the reasons especially in very cold weather. One way you might try to check that theory its to take the aerator off the lavatory faucet in the bathroom with the shower that does not get hot. Turn on the hot water in the lavatory and see if you have a greater flow and if the water gets hotter than it did with the aerator on the faucet. If it does that tells you that you are losing heat out of the slow running water. Now for something that might fix the problem. All new shower heads (less than five years) have a water saver that will only let three gallons of water a minute flow through them. On some of the heads this is accomplished by having a very small hole in the head where it connects to the arm coming out of the wall. So try doing this, unscrew the head off the pipe coming out of the wall, look in the hole and see if you might see some trash in the hole, if it is clear and you do have the very small hole we may can make it a larger hole. First see if the little piece might come out, if so take it out and leave it out. Put the head back on and test it for hot water. If the piece will not come out then find a way to make the hole about twice the size it is now. If it gives you more hot water, good, if not send some more information, Good luck.
    Debra Moore Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 10:10 AM
    I have a single knob on my tub that controls the hot and cold water
    When I turn the hot water side I do not get hot water
    Debra Moore Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 10:11 AM
    I am not getting any hot water when I turn the hot water side in my tub

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water in shower but plenty of hot water at sink! [ 14 Answers ]

undefinedundefined Two days ago, both of the showers in my home stop having hot water. I have very hot water in the sinks in the bathrooms. The shower doesn't get but lukewarm. One showe in the spin dial to adjust the temp and turn on the shower. The other is a spin dial for temp and has a facet...

No Hot Water to shower head, but Hot water to the Tub? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I just purchased a new house. We have found that the shower pressure in the bathroom is wonderful however once you have set the right temp from the tub spout and switch over to the shower no hot water makes it to the shower head. We can only turn off the cold water completely in...

Lose Hot Water in bottom Shower When Top Shower is being used ? [ 5 Answers ]

Hey guys, this problem has been occurring for some time now, I finally found this website to finally ask the question and hopefully have an answer :).. Now I do not want to call the plumber in at this point, in case if it's a easy fix and would rather save the money, so please if you can help...

Hot water run in bathroom cuts out hot water in kitchen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, Currently in our bungalow, if we run hot water in the bath & also run hot water in the kitchen tap, after a few seconds water from the kitchen taps stops. If we turn off the bath tap, water still refuses to flow from the kitchen tap. My wife knows a little about the history of the...

Hot water in the shower until shower head installed [ 6 Answers ]

I have hot water in all my other faucets/showers. I also have hot water at the particular shower with the problem as long as a shower head is not installed. When I install the shower head, the water is lukewarm. Any ideas for the source of the problem, and how to fix?

View more questions Search